The Atari ST thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 22, 2017.

Tags:
?

What Atari ST/ST's do you own or previously owned?

1. Atari 520ST/1040ST

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Atari 520STFM/1040STFM

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Atari 520STE/1040STE

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Atari Mega ST/STE

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. STacy/ST Book

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other ST's (specify) or an Amiga because ST's suck!

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

You make me a bit sad, at least when I got rid of some old stuff about 20 years ago I sold it to a pawn shop, I like to think it's out there somewhere still.

Some shit will never be worth hoarding though - old generic PC HW is the biggest one I can think of. There's just nothing unique about it and there's sooo much of it. Whereas the ST - yeah, it's unique and there are things that only an ST can do.

I do miss the days of manufacturers making their own thing from the ground up, I know a lot of them crashed and burned - but they tried, they didn't just plop together a beige/black box of generic bits that every other man and his dog is making to run software designed for it.

essentially ST/Amiga/C64/Speccy/etc > boring ass PC's.

2. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

You've gotta remember that only ten years ago you couldn't give retro hardware away, it's only recently that it's all made such a big comeback along with a corresponding spike in Ebay prices.

3. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

As promised some ST pics.

It makes me very sad my FDD isn't currently working, after all I'm clearly ready to go. :)

So I decided to do a pull down and dust everything out. Plenty of famous names under the hood, from Sony, Foxconn to Seimens and LG maybe you'd be better off just making the bits not the whole thing?

iFixit repair rating 9/10!! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn you Sony Floppy Drive!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1MB of RAM! The possibilities are limitless

[​IMG]

256kb modules, can be swapped out to give a total of 4MB - woah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  4. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

How interesting, looks like the STe had blitter support. I also don't remember those SIMM's being on a standard ST, perhaps an STe option also?

That is a very nice looking machine Power, even as an Amiga enthusiast I'm capable of admitting that!

5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

It did have a blitter, unfortunately the earlier model was the most popular so very few games made use of all that extra horsepower. Kind of like when AGA came to Amiga, the 500 was still king so everything came back to that level because that was the install base.

On top of that sound imo was it's biggest Achilles heel (the entire ST range).

The machine itself is very well made though, the internal PSU and RF modulator were always great and the overall style felt more complete. However the keyboard was a big letdown (mushy keys). But most keyboards of the day left much to be desired.

The decision to put the joystick and mouse ports on the underside (back of the keyboard to be exact) was one that baffles me to this day. Possibly one of the worst design decisions ever.

No native composite port of any kind was also a funny decision. But it's one of those things, they had to make these decisions in the 80's.

6. bYrd

bYrd Member

+ and that most machines have been destroyed now, through e-waste.

I used an Atari 520ST for music in high school, alongside some beefy MIDI controller and keyboard (and a huge harpsichord!) It had a black and white screen and basically felt just like MacOS. Pretty amazing what it could do, and definitely Atari's niche in the day.

JB

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

should have kept at it, you might have ended up famous :)

8. aXLe

aXLe Member

I'm now the owner of an Atari 1040 STE :D Its fitted with a Gotek USB floppy emulator, and I have a mouse but that is it for the moment.

Unfortunately the case looks quite bad in that a previous owner has likely attempted to retrobrite it, and messed it up. I'll post some photos later, but I'm chasing a new badge plus another case if I can find one (else I'll probably paint it).

Would anyone have spare bits and pieces? I checked those US parts places and they have run out of new cases and only have the 4160STE badges (which I may have to get if I cant find a 1040STE badge).

9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I'm starting to think I need to invest in one of these new fandangled gotek thingy's.

Wonder if I can get one that will go between the two machines (ST and Amiga).

There seem to be a few different types though, anyone know if they are all just packaged differently or are there actual differences?

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Can't be exactly sure but I think from memory I had the 1040STFM back in the day.

11. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

You should be able to get a cheap one off ebay (beware of knockoffs though) and apply the HxC firmware. this should work between amiga, atari, and pc.
    I got one in a grey external case.

There are a couple of different modes for the HxC firmware - you can rename each image file into a sequenced file name pattern and press the buttons to switch between them. Or you can use the image manager which runs on boot and lets you select images to load. There are different managers for different platforms but thats as simple as replacing a file on the USB stick, or just setting up a different stick.

Note that for Amiga you need kickstart 2 or higher to boot from the external floppy port, or do a mod to switch the internal/external ports.

I bought an Amiga external floppy cable from Amibay wjich has the DB23 connector, and a floppy int/ext switcher - works good with the Amiga on kick 1.3, which is what a lot of software will expect.

12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

that's some good info.

We need some sort of Gotek related thread happening here.

13. EclipZ

EclipZ Member

Ahh the memories, I still have my old beasty 1040STe from 1991.
    No yellowing, it's greenish - quite the contrast between the ST casing and the mouse which is still light grey.

Was sad that hardly any software ever used the DMA audio, Blitter or extended colour palette in the E, although from memory the DMA had a lot more CPU overhead than the equivalent on the Amiga.
    If you have some old 30 pin SIMMs (8 or 9 bit) then 2MB upgrade can be nice and easy, 4MB had problems with some software.

14. bYrd

bYrd Member

I just flashed two generic drives for Amiga use, ended up having to flash under Windows XP - Windows 10 it didn't particularly like accepting my Prolific drivers (but this was under a VM on a Mac).

One thing I did find is that they're slow, basically floppy speed so excellent for resurrecting and installing operating systems on vintage machines but not so much for firing up your favourite game every week.