The BBS Thread

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by flain, Oct 18, 2010.

1. flain

flain Member

I noticed there was no thread about BBSs. So heres one :)

What was your favorite BBS door game?

Were you a SysOp? If so what was your board called?

I used to run a BBS called "The Vortex" in the "047" area code in NSW. This area code no longer exists and has since been merged into "02". I was only allowed to make 2 phone calls a day and they had to be local calls otherwise i would get in trouble when the phone bill came. Thats when i got the idea if i started my own BBS, people could call me and it wouldn't matter. With some simple math I convinced my parents to install a new phone line for me (i had to pay the install, they paid the monthly fee). Running on a 2400bps modem with "remoteaccess" as the software, it was the bomb :)

My favorite all time door game was "falcons eye". It was like BRE (Barron realms elite) and was one of the best (IMHO) inter-bbs games there ever was :). I remember sending an attack to some players in canada, and having to wait a week or so to get the actual results back. Fidonet was fast :p. We all know the big name door game LORD. Another faverite of mine was arrowbridge, first graphical MMORPG? If you can call moving ansi cursors graphical? :)

2. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

I used to run The Rabbit's Warren BBS in the early 90s.

Originally it was part-time (i.e. shared with the house phone), but I eventually had 4 lines running.
    Telecom (as they were called back then) had to re-cable the street in order to supply me with the last two phone lines. :)
    Ahh.. the days of running Desqview!!!

One of the many cool games I used to run on it was Solar Realms Elite.

Edit: ... and oh yes... Land of Devestation. That game was so much fun!!!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  3. maddhatter

maddhatter Member

I used to troll Whitsunday Waves, Orion On-Line, Pendragon and a few which escape me.

Was a SysOp of a fairly basic Excalibur system (windows 3.1 era, damn that gear was advanced for its time.) Good times.

4. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

A guy on another forum I'm a member of started a BBS using synchronet last year. Set up all the door games, and even set up LORD to tick over a day every 3 hours so we could log in and play multiple times every day :p

5. Phido

Phido Member

Was a member of Asgard based in Sydney. Wrote some linux script for it (even tho I didn't have linux) and got myself upgraded to god status, unlimited time and dl. 2400 baud.. I even wrote some fairly sad BBS games, once I figured out how.

Kinda miss the BBS scene. Internet just killed it.

Asgard still have a website. Should try to dial in. They were some hardcore BBSers would not suprise me if they were still around. They became more than a BBS when they all moved into valhulla. Then you had 4 lines plus about 8 boxes on site all with people using them.

I remember looking at BBS lists with penrith or regional dial codes, and thinking how sweet it would be to dial into those boxes.

IBM ran a BBS in sydney with 16+ lines for tech support. Became a great chat location after hours too..

6. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Usurper! Loved that game- early '90's cannot remember the BBS for the life of me!

7. OP
    OP
    flain

flain Member

The OS/2 BBS right? That was great, no one actually used it for support, just filled the chat program :)

8. pksw

pksw Member

I remember those days too. I became very good at optimizing ram with qemm and desqview to run multiline systems. Helped quite a lot of friends with their bbs setups and wrote software to fill in any missing features. Setup everything from remote access, superbbs, ezycom to Telegard/ renegade/oblivion, vision/x, LSD, celerity, pcexpress and pcboard.

Pcboard was by far the best.

9. OP
    OP
    flain

flain Member

Was Pcboard the one that ran those .PEX files?

I always had issues with desqview, when users would run door games sometimes there wasn't enough base memory - damn 640K limit!

There was some BBS software for linux back then too, however it seemed kinda plain and lacked features IMO :p

10. azron

azron Member

oh my god. this is freak...

i was sitting at my desk yesterday, doing stuff, when I saw the old built in modem on the back of a PC i was tinkering with... and went, i wonder if there are any BBS'es still floating around that I could dial into?

did nothing about it, but all this talk about sysops, ratios and baud rates has got me thinking!

11. Gamedude_Josh

Gamedude_Josh Member

Ohh BBSs, I miss those days.

The Brisbane BBS scene around 1999-2000 was I guess pretty small, but there were a few still running.
    Quivver (4 lines!), Starship Junkyard (2 lines), The Garage, The Hole and a few others.

I never used to play door games, I'd search around for something to upload just so I could get something like a crappy mp3 to download. I managed to upload the entire Windows 95 .cab files to one so I could get some games.

Interplay ran a BBS in the UK and I dialed into it. I wanted to try out some new levels for Descent. My parents were not impressed.

If you wanna check our Starship Junkyard it's still running via telnet at dropbear.ath.cx

12. Phido

Phido Member

Most people I noticed just uploaded doom.wad or doom2.wad files to up the ul rate. Then you had to clear the buggers out.

With linux we started up telnet accounts so you could use lynx, pico etc. That was pretty wizbang stuff for back then.

Don't remind me about memory management. PIA! The things we had to do to get text games to work back in the day! esp on multilined systems.

I still have visions of ANSI being drawn at 2400 baud.. I had that modem for way too long. I remember I jumped from 2400 baud to 33.6 as a single jump. Which is why I got into scripting, programming etc, because playing ANSI or even ascii games or downloading took to bloody long!.

13. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

God, I cut my teeth on the BBS's,and spent far too much time entrenched in that culture.

Lets see:

- Pacific Island / Zen, which ended up as the Cafe from memory (cefiar used to run that after it got sold)
    - Megaworks
    - The Blackboard
    - Lived with the guy who ran Orange Juice for a while

Probably some others that I've forgotten. Those were the days :Pirate:

As for games - one of the BBS's had Risk, which you'd log into every day to submit your moves. God damn addictive.

14. pksw

pksw Member

Yes - PCBoard ran .PPE files. I wrote a lot of utilities in it. One of the things I remember is that someone released a PPE decompiler, so you could turn it back into source code. In the process, you'd find quite a few backdoors built into PPEs.

The 640k limit - I think I managed to keep around 632k free using a heap of utilities, loading things into himem, and using some of the unused addresses between 640k and 1024k.

15. a777

a777 Member

I really enjoyed the early BBS days. Barren Realms Elite was my favourite game, still have a few friends who I met in real life through that one game :) Was good working as a team and planning attacks etc. The message board was hilarious on a few of them. I found some old screen caps/logs a few months ago which were funny to read again.

I think I used to use Telix and later Terminate to log on. Was amazing when Bimodem arrived and you could upload and download at the same time :shock:, whereas before it was Xmodem or later, Zmodem. Also remember how the archive programs used to change as they got slightly better and the Sysops would re-archive the whole site to save a few bytes per file. ARC, LZH, ARJ and ZIP plus a few others in there too :)

Good times :D

16. OP
    OP
    flain

flain Member

Actually i realise now i was thinking of proboard. Which did run .PEX files :).

I had a friend i met on other BBSs as my co-sysop and he wrote a lot of fancy software for my board, it was pretty awesome :). He wrote a pre-login system where there was an ansi menu before you have to login. So people could page me etc if they wanted to without having to login. I also had ansi art done for my board by some artists, they did it all for free too.. :)

The 640K limit thing was an issue for me with LORD, i remember desqview used up a certain amount of base memory and lord used a certain amount too. Making it almost impossible to run desqview + 2x LORD on the one PC (notice i said almost). Solution was to have the second node on another PC all together, which presented its own issues :).

I think the thing i am most kicking myself about is that i've lost my BBS, its gone. All the art work is the main thing. I also had a few advertisement demos. You know those tiny files you used to get in your BBS downloads, small .com files that when you run you get a fancy graphical presentation with some .mod file music to go with it. The amount of efficency in code back then was insane compared to today. Assembler was king and what could be achieved in 8-16KB or less was amazing.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  17. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Ansi art.

Tell me it wasn't fucking insane.

18. Heywood

Heywood Member

My favourite game was TradeWars

There were some awesome things - I like this telnet://towel.blinkenlights.nl/

19. flinchy

flinchy Member

that's just sick

also, first time i've ever telnetted into anything, so doubly awesome lol.

20. Agent911

Agent911 Member

Holy god, BBS's!

I used to use a Sydney board called AusConnect, it was based on TheMajorBBS software (which to date I consider the most powerful BBS software around).

My door games were LORD, LORD2 and... and... I can't think what it was called! You played a gigolo and had to make money laying women, but had to watch out for STD's!! Was rad fun.