The Beat Goes On...Event (New iPods)

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by DeanCorp, Sep 6, 2007.

1. DeanCorp

DeanCorp Member

Hi guys,
    Its 4.30AM here, yep I did an all nighter to watch the live blogs at the Launch today. I was very excited and impressed with the new releases for those normal people who did decide to sleep in I will summarize for you what happened.

Steve first started by mentioning new ringtones for the iPhone- we don't really care about that as it isn't even released here yet.

He then released iPod shuffles in 5 new colours Silver, light blue, teal, green and a product red version of the shuffle only available in one size (1GB) $79USD.

Then he moved onto the new iPod Nano's which are significantly smaller, available in the same colours as the shuffle (Red, Silver, Light Blue, Teal and Green) it has a new interface and includes Cover Flow, it comes with 3 games including this Arkanoid alternative known as Vortex. This nano is Video-capable and has a 2" screen with a brighter QVGA Resolution (320x240). It is available in 4GB and 8GB ($149USD,$199USD). It has 24hrs of audio playback and 5 hours of video playback. They are still compatible with the Nike+ running kit.

Apple then released the "iPod Classic" which was basically released for someone who has lots of music and size is more important than functionality. It is available in 80GB and 160GB with 40hours of music playback and 7 hours of video playback. They are very well priced at $249USD and $349USD respectively.

The main part of the event was the "iPod Touch." It is thinner than the iPhone with a thickness of only 8mm. It has the same Multitouch patented technolofy and the cool "slide to unlock feature." It has the same coverflow as seen on the iPhone. It has a 3.5" diagonal screen. WiFi capability of 80.11b/g. It has a Home Button, A sensor for landscape viewing (when you tilt the screen the other way the screen will automatically adjust). Safari and YouTube capability via WiFi. This iPod Touch has 22hours of Audio Playback and 5hours of video. It will be shipping worldwide starting as early as this month and will be available in 8GB - $299USD and 16GB- $399USD

Steve Jobs concluded his presentation with statistics of iPhone usage and how the 8gb version is the most popular, he very generously reduced the price of the 8gb version by $200 to bring it down to $399USD and has decided to discontinue the 4gb version.

Thanks for reading :)

DeanCorp

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  2. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

I am disappointed. I was really hoping for an 80GB version of the ipod touch, or something like that :(

3. OP
    OP
    DeanCorp

DeanCorp Member

Then it wouldn't be very thin. NAND flash for 80GB would be much too expensive, it is almost unrealistic at the moment. I was happy with the outcome. There is a 160GB Classic for you :)

DeanCorp

4. s3tTz

s3tTz Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

AU Prices (sauce):

iPod shuffle - $99.00 (1GB)

iPod nano - $199.00 (4GB) $279.00 (8GB)

iPod classic - $349.00 (80GB) $479.00 (160GB)

iPod touch - $419.00 (8GB) $549.00(16GB) :eek:

5. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Does it look like I care if its ZOMGWTFBBQ SO INCREDIBLY THIN? I was really really bloody hoping for an 80/160gb touch... and it looks like a lot of people on places like macrumors, ilounge etc are disappointed too :(

If only the new UI could be updated for the current ipods...

6. Dr Kildare

Dr Kildare Medic!

Pretty impressive although it looks like the rumour mill was pretty much spot on this time. :)

I guess as the price of flash comes down the storage of the flash base players will go up - although I doubt we'll see a 160GB iPod Touch anytime soon.

7. Arg999

Arg999 Member

Seems they are for sale now.

8. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

They really should release the SDK so developers can write applications on the ipod touch (and iphone)

For $550 it's basically an overpriced glorified mp3 player.

But it could also double as a PDA and if there was other software being made for it, it would be a very good PDA too. For $550 it wouldn't be bad at all, but I wouldn't buy it until they release the SDK to developers.

9. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

wow... i like the ipod touch... then again i like the iphone...

one thing that kinda bugs me... no wifi in the ipod classic? and no games on the ipod touch? wtf!?

typical apple... i love what they do.... until i look into the specs :(

still if i can come up with good enough reasons to get an ipod... i might pick one of these new ones up :)

10. _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

160GB classic looks good, you could have your entire collection on there, instead of always having to add and delete songs.

The new Nano's dissapoint me, am I the only one who doesn't take advantage of their video playback?

11. djsherly

djsherly Member

Seems odd to me to release a larger screen version of the iPod (touch or not) with the clear intention of being able to show video and then waste the opportunity by providing merely 8 or 16 gigabytes to store the media.

One might argue that for video, the battery time is only five/seven/whatever hours, so what's the point of being able to store more video than that? If you use that logic however, you might as well have a 4gb maximum for music iPods as well.

Remember, the original intention of the iPod was to store your entire collection, in your hand.

All in all the technology of the Touch looks great, and probably works great (barring the starbucks tie in) but the critical factor or capacity appears to have been largely ignored.

Regarding the Starbucks tie-in, it's obviously to me that the iPod has, or is beginning to reach, the top of its sales curve. Drawing other products (such as starbucks) into the iPod mix to increase its desirability looks to me to be the start of the decline of the iPod as a desirable consumer item. Changes from this point would be cosmetic or service based, to my mind. What else is there to do with a box the size of pack of smokes?

WiFi Itunes is ho-hum, unless you have ready access to Wfi-Fi. We have that here in metro areas, but a lot of the time you have to pay for it.

I would have thought wireless synching would have been an awesome touch, but I am not aware if it exists. If it does - I think that's pretty cool. However, you still need to connect the device to something to charge it.

12. TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

Nope i'm the same, such a small silly little screen. The Ipod touch are kool, but it kinda just makes me wish i could get a DAMN IPHONE.

Yere the 160Gb, damn that is tempting to replace my 30Gb.

Now if the itouch has email built in, it would be sweeettt!!

13. FB008

FB008 Member

wtf is with the ipod touch?

i'll stick with the ipod classic thanks, the touch seems like an iphone with bloatware and looks shiny IMO. unless they actually gave it useful apps, but still i'd want more space for the money.

14. DJel

DJel Member

If they had put more storage in the touch I'd buy it in a second. Also I don't think that the new look iPod classic is a step in the right direction, it looks more bloated than sleek. Well at least from the front it does...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  15. Drnrg

Drnrg Member

New Ipods

totally new range launced, with the 'ipod touch' and 'ipod classic' the touch is much like an iphone, but without the phone bit
    nano has also been revised and looks a bit fatter than before
    linkage:
    http://www.apple.com/au/ipodtouch/

16. seaQuest_AMD

seaQuest_AMD Member

Hmm killing of the 4GB iPhone and moving the 8GB into its price point....I smell a 16GB iPhone at European launch on September 26th?

17. maxy0987

maxy0987 Member

I think the iTouch will sell well. It has the gimmickyness of the iphone without the crap phone part.

Smart move by apple

18. Drnrg

Drnrg Member

so far only 8gb and 16gb models which is a bit of a shame, but it looks pretty thin, also has wifi..interesting

19. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

I'm a little underwhelmed with the iTouch. 8 & 16GB models for those prices, whereas I could go buy an 80GB classic for the same price as the 30GB 5.5g that I bought a few months ago (that's a little bitter, btw). But given it looks like it is more designed around the video / multimedia content now, I was expecting more space to store stuff on.

Also disappointed there is now such a huge gap between Nano and Classic sizes - I was genuinely expecting a 16gb high end Nano with this release.

20. domlebo

domlebo Member

Far out, 160gb in an iPod now. And the nano looks really cool now.