The Beginning

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by C-BuZz, Jun 21, 2005.

1. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

It's just a thermal probe on the end. You can take it off, it shouldn't shut down :thumbup:

C-BuZz

2. dinos22

dinos22 Member

i ripped it out mate
    sanded it and the thing is just awesome

cant wait to get stuck into it just work on SS still

i repeated 3DMARK06 just now with 22C ambient so thats good....

havent had any issues yet like before so looks good....

3. dinos22

dinos22 Member

i can repeat that issue i have

i just did it now

sitting at 5Ghz idle after 3dmark06 test and it slowly creeped up to -58 before istarted going down and i could hear that sound again
    [EDIT] also i should add that i've noticed that the accumulator loses frost and then temps go into positives
    once evap warms up to about 40C it starts to work again...i can hear the compressor buzzing again

weird

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  4. dinos22

dinos22 Member

hey ben
    just testing this smaller unit

just wanted to ask you what sort of compressor temps are acceptable on it??

seems to get pretty warm .....around 56.7C even when i reverted back to stock settings without load......with superpi on it didnt really change

i tested briefly and got up to 4.6GHz before i thought i might take it easy in case the compressor is running too hot .... wouldnt it be running cooler if it has a log of gas?

btw where do i let more gas out on this one?

[​IMG]

5. dinos22

dinos22 Member

btw i just loaded prime at stock settings and the evap temps kept getting higher

it was having a hard time handling the load...........after 5 minutes evap was at -19C but compressor temps were slowly creeping up ....compressor was at 58.4C so i decided to stop and put a pedestal fan and try another day

i might take the front face off and put another fan there to blast the condenser.....any other suggestions :)

oh another thing

i have the unit sitting on the floor and the bech station is above it...........would it make any difference if it was on the same height

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  6. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Watch the SL where it meets the compressor, is there any freeze on the actual compressor? Temps are going to be really crap until you let some gas out.

Compressor temps are fine, that front fan is running pretty slow I'd prob swap it with a higher cfm.

Take the side/front off & retest it.

C-BuZz

7. dinos22

dinos22 Member

i slapped on the second fan at the front and my evap temps improved by 5-6C
    heheh
    compressor is now running around 40C :)

4.8GHz 3DMARK06 stable even :thumbup: and havent even tuned it yet :thumbup:

8. dinos22

dinos22 Member

oh yeah i just noticed
    compressor is freezing
    where do i let more gas out mate? is it the one above condenser or the one on the other side?

9. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Above the condenser facing forward :thumbup:

C-BuZz

10. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Yeah that's pretty good boost, that front fan is a bit of a letdown running so slow. You should get a pretty decent performance boost once you tune it a bit :thumbup: I think you should be able to bench over 5ghz fairly easy with the Mach once it's tuned properly.

C-BuZz

11. dinos22

dinos22 Member

i tuned it a bit and i think i have another 4-5C on evap now
    should be able to bench 06 at 4.9 even

great little unit i tell ya man :thumbup:

and the mount is perfect.....my core temps are all within 1C which is just awesome
    i can never get it that close with my SS....its always at least 5C different heheh

12. dinos22

dinos22 Member

i'm just doing a LargeFFT prime on the small unit doing -22.4C after 15 minutes

that's a 170W load roughly...maybe a bit less

thats awesome for such a quiet unit...now the loudest thing is that one 120mm fan i put on condenser hehe :thumbup:

i still have to sort out this big unit thought......i hope i can find a HVAC guy in sydney so that i dont have to send it back.............just want to doublecheck that it's not something odd going on with another vaccum and charge

if i dont find anyone doesnt matter i guess heh

13. dinos22

dinos22 Member

ambient temp 20.5C
    evap idle temp 40.5C

3DMARK06 @ 4887MHz with 1.44v
    -34.5C through 3D tests and down to -30.3C at end of CPU test 2 :thumbup:

[EDIT] Holy crap i can do 5GHz 3DMARK06 full test with the smaller unit too lol
    ambient temp 20.2C
    evap idle temp 40C

3DMARK06 @ 4989MHz with 1.465v
    -34.1C through 3D tests and down to -28.2C at end of CPU test 2 :thumbup:
    actual core temps through CPU Tests peaked at 20C-19C-19C-18C

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  14. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Knew you could do it :thumbup: Keep pushing I'm sure it's got a little more left in it :leet:

You know that's a hollow evap right? It's like a no maintenance mini dice pot :lol:

C-BuZz

15. dinos22

dinos22 Member

yeah man this unit is amazing
    i am practically MATCHING my rootary SS before and after compressor replacements almost

i just did some 5212MHz GT1 3D testing with it

i think that the issue i have with the rotary SS is the mount, cause with this megamount on smaller unit you did i can get the cores all withing 1C of each other. WIth the rotary SS that has a kayl evap my loaded temps are sometimes 12C apart from core0 to core 3

it might be the reason why i'm not able to push more............maybe i'm doing something wrong with the mount on big SS :( donno

but i definitely have a strange problem with the bigger unit because once left idle it will keep creeping up to -58 to -60 and then crash >> as in temps will start taking a dive big time and i need to shut the PC down and restart with default settings on motherboard and let evap reach 40C before i can get the compressor to work again and accumulator to freeze up again.............that kinda blows but at least if i dont sort it i know how to bypass it but its annoying...i dont want to think about the cooler when i'm testing if you know what i mean heheh

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  16. dinos22

dinos22 Member

i dont think there is much left in it IF anything
    i am idling in windows at stock settings at -48C eek hehe that's BETTER than the rotary SS lol which is at -44C normally at NORMAL temps...but when it goes crazy it goes to what i would expect it to do >> high -50s

17. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Yeah I know what you mean, that would really piss me off. A problem like that would be really easy to troubleshoot/fix if I had it in front of me, so it's really disappointing to see it playing up like that. I wish it had of done that when I was testing it. Keep tuning it, it may just go away.

C-BuZz

18. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

wow Ben nice work on dino's units! weird stuff about the bigger unit though

Was reminded I have some of your handy work gather dust for past 3yrs - a mini 1/6HP unit http://i4memory.com/f22/cbuzz-phaser-cpu-mch-nb-cooler-3078/ which was originally meant for interchangeable cpu and MCH/NB cooling :o :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Crank that bad boy up, lets see if it still works first :lol:

C-BuZz

20. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

You should be definitely get better temps on the rotary if it's working properly. That thing is an animal...

Not really sure why your getting that temp anomaly with the different evaps. The only thing I can think of is that the evap may have slightly bowed over time through general use, cooling down/heating up/cooling down ect.. Might pay to check the flatness of it.

C-BuZz