The Beginning

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by C-BuZz, Jun 21, 2005.

1. groovetek

groovetek Member

hey C-Buzz/kayl, is there any refridgerant that performs almost as good as R404a, but will not be subjecting a Vapochill BD50F (known to be problematic with R404a sometimes, due to higher capacity yet same motor as the BD35F) to too much pressure? I just won a Vapochill PE wif A64 mounting kit, and given that it works (at least the user is testing it and sounds responsible and will thus pack it properly), I may require some extra heat capacity in the near future, and may need you to help hook me up with some better gas but one that will still be within the capabilities of this compressor.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  2. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Hmm, dont think refrigerant will matter with that system dude, once you hit 2700/2800mhz the temps get out of controll. The compressor/condenser/block cant handle the temps A64 cpu's put out as I demonstrated this on my modded BD50/Vapo evap experiment albeit with R290. Not the best gas, but your performance isnt going to be that much better with 404a.

I had quite a few issues just starting the compressor with R290 as the pressures are a lot higher than 134a, has to switch on/off/on/off just to get the low side pressure down to a working level for the BD50.

At this stage I only have access to Propane :( Kayl may have some exotic gasses up his sleeve :D

C-BuZz

3. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

think she'll be able to handle an A64 newcastle at 1.9 volts? how much wattage would that be?

even if not, I bags (got dibs etc.) it :p

4. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

not sure how much heat/wattage those Newcastles put out, hell I dont even know what wattage these opterons are.. Anyone know? AFAIK these opterons im testing it with are the hottest cpu's around. So your temps will be even lower than mine.

If/when I decide to sell i'll let you know :)

Must have a ripper block mount as the evap is sitting on -39c / -40c & there is a 4c difference between cpu & evap at idle
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store
    [​IMG]

While priming the cpu holds at -24c @ 2611Mhz
    [​IMG]

Now i've done 3 passes at 2611Mhz stock vcore with the cpu sitting on -24c which I could not do before without it crashing, must have screwed up a bios setting or somthing.

C-BuZz

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  5. kayl

kayl Member

mr_mordred2095 a Newcastle 3000+ stock oc and vcore is 80w. I know my Newcastle gets hot at 1.8v, so 1.9v and high clock speeds would be massive heatload.
    Cbuzz I think the X2 are hotter again, but the opterons are ment to run hot on water.
    Hey c-buzz how about a few runs of 3dmark2001, the last few test really get the cpu evap working overtime.

Also ya at a vcore of 1.55v, I think on phase change you can up the volts more, and get some more mhz’s happening.
    Don’t know how far, but I have seen at XS ppl doing 1.8v+ vcore but not sure how safe that is on the 90ns chips, not up with all cpu stuff like your self.

6. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Ok dropped the evap temp to -15 & cpu is sitting on around -5c while Running Spi. Got a successful run at 2800mhz 8M with the cpu hovering around -5c. i'll install a real video & give 2001 a run.

C-BuZz

7. dinos22

dinos22 Member

try 2.9GHz again

man that Opteron is not very good..........that 146 you're getting should be a lot better if CABYE week 40 or so

8. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Yer, looks like I got a crapper, apparantly the 146 its Cabye but i'll have to confirm that, got another 8m at 2834, 1.5v @ -5c

C-Buzz

9. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Ok gonna see what this memory's got. I'll be happy with the cpu sittin on 2.7 / 1.5v @ -30c hehe. Should be pretty stable 24/7.

I'll start of with this yeah?

Mem
    disable or 2T
    TREF=Auto

C-BuZz

10. dinos22

dinos22 Member

no this is for RAM

11. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

that's what im testing :)

12. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

13. kayl

kayl Member

nice, what graphics card ya got. that some ok scores there.
    What temps were the block at the end of runs, its goot having mbm to know how cpu contact is isnt it. so it seems that ya not having trouble with any cold bugs on custom singles, which is good to hear. :thumbup:

14. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Asus x850xt pe extreme.

MBM is gold, I reckon it's pretty much spot on as far as temps are concerned.

there is no cold bug if I run at 2500/2600/2700Mhz, pretty sure im pushing the cpu limit going higher which is crap as for an Opty. I have got the system running at about 3/4 of its capacity.

The die temp on 2001 it held at around -25 / -30 throughout the whole thing, 2005 dropped to -8c right toward the end.

Just had a 15hr 6player lan of Dawn of War, I filled the system up before I started so it was running near 100%. Die temps never went under -25c the WHOLE night & I was hosting, very happy with the performance of this particular unit. Compressor is relatively quiet also, my raptor is actually louder than the unit :/

C-BuZz

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  15. dinos22

dinos22 Member

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  16. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

yes, should be able to hit 30k. The only thing overclocked is my cpu :) & only to 2500Mhz.

didnt say when it would show :( "i'll look into it & send you an email". sad...

dude u got some nice temps there, how do you get 18c on air? or you still on water?

C-BuZz

17. dinos22

dinos22 Member

hey dude

my mobo temps are farked..............here is a post from my thread at i4memory.com

18. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

im in the process of building a system for a good friend of mine here on ocau :)

its not pretty, quiet or small. but it will have some serious cooling capacity. I plan to build a box with sound dedening foam/rubber. so should end up reasonably quiet.

initial dramas when I installed the first compressor. weighing in at around 35-40kg & standing approx 40cm tall, I suspect this is around 1-1.5hp. died after 1hr use :( probably why they threw the air conditioner out lol.

pics of the first compressor up & running before she karked it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this unit will feature a built in power supply running a total of 6 120mm fans, 4 of which will be on 12v rail :) will have an on/off switch at the front & utilize a vapochill SE controller/temp readout to controll switching on/off system. So basically you just switch it on & it will run the same as a vapo hehe.

Second compressor I install is a 1hp Rotary with large suction accumulator. seems to cool down a lot quicker than the other comperssor.

Here it is installed running nicely. Ran for 2 hours straight & held up like a champ. I'll give it a good 8hr run tomorrow to make sure its good. Getting good frostback & quick pull down times.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next to build a box & ad some soundproofing :)

C-BuZz

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  19. VW_man

VW_man Member

That is a big compressor. What temps are you seeing on evap and have you tested this yet on an actual CPU?

20. javascripterror

javascripterror Member

The casing up of the finished unit is really a labour of love when the size of the components change each time eh!