1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Beginning

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by C-BuZz, Jun 21, 2005.

1. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

temps should be around -50c evap if not lower as it runs -20hg easy. gave her a good 5hr run yesterday no problem. She gets really dam hot though, way to hot to touch even with 4 x 120mm fans blowing on her.

havent yet tested it on a cpu.

indeed, its almost impossible to get the same components everytime unless you buy new, & I dont think that will ever happen due to new prices of refrigeration gear in Au, i've seen some awesome looking cases around. Wish I had the tools to make them :(

C-BuZz

2. VW_man

VW_man Member

What gets hot, the rad or compressor? :Paranoid:

Maybe you should keep your distance :lol:

3. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

just the compressor, wont explode or anything, if it does overheat it will just stop working.

i've got some subcooling happening on the suction return, should help keep it a little cooler coupled with 6 x 120mm fans.

C-BuZz

4. VW_man

VW_man Member

Stop working!!!

You must really not like your CPU/mobo :D

I've never heard of compressors heating up so much that you can't touch them. There is something wrong with it. Back to the drawing board you go...

5. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

y's that? from what i've read most large compressors get to hot to touch.

I think 60-80c it normal for such a large compressor.

i've read on xs that they can even get up to 100c+. each compressor is different & operates at different temps & for such a large compressor I think this is relatively normal, just make sure nothing is touching it & there is good airflow.

the system ran fine for 5hrs straight with no problems at all. I;ll be giving it a few more lengthy runs so if there's any problems im sure they will surface, so I dont think its back to the drawing board just yet :)

you in the Refrieration trade?

C-BuZz

6. kayl

kayl Member

looking good there c-buzz. With the big compressor try a shorter capillary line and they will suck deep vacuum better.
    Got that refrigerant chart handy, 10hg will give ya -50c with r290.
    20hg will get ya -60c noload with the big compressors.
    I have seen similar compressor like that that cut out at 85c (automatically)
    The rotary can run up to 110c before you should worry. They are a mean kind of beast. have you seen any 12000 BTU compressor yet cBuzz??
    the smaller fridge compressors like around 65c.

Cbuzz up the volts a tad and ya should get alot more MHZ there :thumbup:

7. bob(nz)

bob(nz) Member

Obviously you are speaking from a background of experience :rolleyes:

Nice work there by the way Cbuzz :thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

yes I used 2.8M .031mm. that about right? The low side pressure is getting up there when its switched off. But when you switch it on it almost instantly drops to -20hg.

I dont think its 110c, but she is getting pretty warm. Havnet seen a 12000Btu compressor yet? you got one?

Got my opty 146 & its got serious coldbug :( got some pretty good results with the stock cooler however hehe.

C-BuZz

9. dinos22

dinos22 Member

it sure is..........try the other one (Opteron 144) under the new phase you put together......see if it can handle <-35C :leet:

10. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

opty 144 is out the door :) might sell both & go dual core hehe.

C-BuZz

11. kayl

kayl Member

it a tad long but will work, do you have a temp probe on the suction line when ya tunning. If there isnt enough cold return that can also lead to compressor over heating. A shorter capillary line and not the lowest temps is good some time to perlong compressors life

12. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

usually just fill till frost around 6" from the compressor, should give a fair bit of cooling to the compressor. havent been tuning with a probe which I probably should :)

now im on the hunt for a decent opty that doesnt have cold bug.

im using a extremely cold bugged 146 with the stock hsf at the moment @ 2.8.

it craps out @ 2.2Ghz 1.6v under phase :thumbup:, does 2.8Ghz with the stock hsf :rolleyes:

anyone know if the dual cores are cold bugged?

C-BuZz

13. dinos22

dinos22 Member

yeah dual cores are cold bugged but it's a luck of the draw some start at 0C and others at -50 so who knows/////

you'll have to try a few and see which one does best :(

14. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

OK did some insulation on the Rotary today & gave her a good 5hr run straight. No problems at all. Temps are +37c here in Melb today so it's stinkin hot.

Suction line partially insulated. The large piece of neoprene at the evap end slides up & down the suction for easy evap mounting :thumbup:
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

Frozen evap
    [​IMG]

And the finished result:
    [​IMG]

Very happy with -54c with ambient hovering around 37c!! on a cooler day I evap should easily hit -60c. Only thing im not really happy with is that it takes 5-8min to really see the temps dropping. They start dropping as soon as you turn it on, but its slow & gradually gains momentum :D must be a rotary thing..

This is a kickass compressor (bloody ugly though), running @ -25Hg low side. High is up around 180 / 200psig.

[​IMG]

I alreay have a small box so i'll be boxing her up in the next few days :)

Thanks

C-BuZz

15. dinos22

dinos22 Member

nice going there dude

what does -25Hg mean? i'm a n00b at this

....looks bloody awesome at -54C on such a hot day.....it's 37C here today as well :shock:

16. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

the more -HG your compressor can run in the lower the temps will be :). If your ambient is 20-25c evap should be -60+ :thumbup: which isnt bad for a Single stage hehe..

with a good mount you should expect around 10c difference give or take between evap & cpu @ idle in Windows.

So your cpu better not have cold bug :)

C-BuZz

17. T_M

T_M Member

41C here today :(

Not that outside temp means anything..... what was your inside ambient?

18. OP
    OP
    C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

inside the workshop is the same. checked it with my probe :) going to be 42c here tomorrow :thumbdn:

C-BuZz

19. groovetek

groovetek Member

yeah... could just stick the evap to the side of your head to cool yourself down for awhile...

wonder if my brain has the cold-bug???

20. Beetroot

Beetroot Member

if you run that compressor for 3 months straight it will die lol -25pisg is BAD lol
    have a nice day :rolleyes: and whats the point of showing us this not under LOAD OMG, you will need to change re-size of metering device lol

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005