1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The best PC internal soundcard is?

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by super kermit, Mar 29, 2020.

1. super kermit

super kermit Member

2. Recharge

Recharge Member

anything with support really, I'm using a recon 3d pcie and it's pretty good sound over onboard. and it has win10 support.

3. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

I think I decided on the ae-5 based on reviews
    ..but I got over it
    Still using onboard

4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

There's no such thing as best internal sound card. If you want the best sound quality from a sound card without worrying about useless software equalised based game sound effects get a studio sound card.

5. power

power Member

there's always one

upload_2020-3-30_9-2-52.png

I'm still using an older creative card and it shits all over my onboard. What are you connecting it to? and if you say USB headphones please just forget you asked.

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Hey thats cheating, you can’t use my dp in your argument. Lol

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I know there's always a lot of controversy over Creative sc's but I've always been pretty happy with them. Software at times isn't the best but pretty much it's set and forget for me.

8. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

been happy with my old xonar essence stx, its had many, many years of abuse.

Director likes this.
  9. Maldark

Maldark Member

I've had Sound Blasters for many years now, couldn't be happier with my current ZxR. Only reason I upgraded from my old X-Fi was a lack of ancient PCI support on newer motherboards.

I've also seen great things about the Asus Xonar, they were in contentiton when I upgraded but the ZxR had a few features I really liked.

You can't really go wrong though, whatever you decide is going to shit on onboard.

10. ska'

ska' Member

Asus STX if you can find one.

Or just get an external DAC.

11. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Asus Xonar Essence STX.

12. scruffy1

scruffy1 Member

i have the asus xonar hdav 1.3 here, which is essentially the stx without a dedicated headphone amp

swappable opamps (primary and buffer) - sounds even better with either dual opa627 in the primary, or a burson v5i

but the most amazing finding was that changing over to the stoner usb dac in my sig was like moving to another level

and if you have $ to spend, the khadas tone board is the most astounding sound you'll get for ~ $99usd - makes the home theatre sound astoundingly good

if you want the hdav, throw me an offer ... ;)

13. lithos

lithos Member

Ah, one of those "IT SAY PRO MUST BE BETTER" guys.

14. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

No. Just no..

15. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yeah, you're off the mark this time- not very common for you so I'll let it slide :p

The reasoning here is, the absolute vast majority of serious audio interfaces are external to avoid noise/interference from the PC internals. You can get some very serious internal pcie audio interfaces, but they usually connect to an external DAC over ADAT/SPDIF/MADI or some such for the exact same reason.

On top of that, gaming soundcards died in the early 2000's when Creative bought and summarily executed Aureal, who had something akin to ray tracing for sound in hardware which was exquisite. Pretty much all other gaming sound API stuff just puts on static amounts of reverb and lowpass to pretend its spatial, so there isn't really any kind of 'acceleration' of the sound in the way we have with graphics; this is one of the greatest crimes ever committed against gamers in the history of gaming, possibly ever.

Furthermore, most 'gaming' soundcards are just marketing hype-stupid like NAIN POYNT JUAN SURRUND PRO BASS 420Hz / 69 bit nonsense.

16. rthy

rthy Member

Whats the card going to be used for?

17. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Yep, also the next most important factor with better studio/pro grade sound intefaces is better low noise power supplies which in a studio monitoring environment is absolutely crucial which again falls inline with the highlight bold part you stated. Most soundcards nowadays is the same regurgitated crap that has been around since mid 2000's a simple opamp buffered gain stage fed by low 5-9v supply from PCI-E lane or external molex and the rest of the sound effects/equalisation done by its software API framework.

Don't forget the retarded RGB hype crap we have nowadays we have with motherboards, soundcards etc. People buy into the wank factor hype really fast.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020