The Big Air Cooling Sticky!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Lardman, Aug 26, 2008.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Ah k is it an Amd?

2. gazman87

gazman87 Member

Yeh 955 Quad I think, lets hope the e-bay el cheapo solution works :)

3. tienps

tienps (Banned or Deleted)

Awesome thread man, alot of good reading here

4. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Question about fans / case fans.

I have a HAF case (932) I think...it has a big fan on the side a Coolermaster 20cm one and one in the front..neither of which seem to blow much air..(if you take the side panel off and hold your hand there its hardly noticeable.)

I was wondering which fans would be a good replacement.

One big ass fan on the side (blowing on to the motherboard / 2 x 6970's) or some smaller ones?

Are there any big fans that are more effective?

5. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

If you have both the clearance and a fan controller, this thing can move some air!
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_601&products_id=19115

6. OP
    OP
    Lardman

Lardman Member

Going through and updating links in the next week or so all, pm me if you think there's something that -should- be there and I'll sneak it in. :thumbup:

7. fuller2002

fuller2002 Member

How did your research go man? Im looking at the D14 or the Havik also, the thing putting me off the D14 is how big and ugly its going to look in my case, id rather go the H100 but its to noisy! :Paranoid:

8. OP
    OP
    Lardman

Lardman Member

The H100 isn't too bad as an AIO system, the noise comes from the fans. Pick up a couple of Noctua P-12's or similar and downvolt them (or put them on a fan controller).

As for RAM fitment, most RAM with heatsinks on them tend to be a bit of a hit and miss. I had trouble fitting a Noctua U12 over a set of ripjaws - There's usually a plethora of installation pictures around though - search & google away.

9. OnGsTa

OnGsTa Member

How does the good 'ol Thermalright Ultra Extreme (TRUE) with 2x120mm hold up against these new Noctura and Xigmatech coolers?

I've been using mine since 775 and was thinking of brining it over to my next upgrade if the socket adaptors are avaiable at the time (e.g. venomous X bracket for 1156 will allow me to use this on Intel SB/IB).

This is of course, if the new coolers aren't that much better in terms of performance? I'm not too worried about how quiet it is.

10. ol-skool

ol-skool Member

im still running my TRUE... love it, absolutely no reason to change.

11. klappers

klappers Member

Thinking about a HE01 silverstone cooler but I am worried about clearance over my vengeance ram?? Will be on a fx8120 and ud5 gigabyte motherboard

12. StreekG

StreekG Member

[​IMG]

13. klappers

klappers Member

Wicked... Is that a he01??? I ended up with a hyper 212 evo just because it was all I could get at the time and I have only just built the machine. So I wasn't keen on buying something that wouldn't fit.

14. Sammells

Sammells Member

Hey guys. I'm running a Havik 140 on a 2500K and have noticed temps increased over time by almost 16c under prime95. Is this the thermal paste drying up? When I installed it I cleaned the CPU with metho and a cloth and temps were amazing. At 4.5GHz under full load the max was 50c and now is 64c. Soooo just get some new thermal paste? Any recommendations?

15. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Increase in ambient temperature due to summer weather? Dust clogging?

16. Sammells

Sammells Member

Yes the weather is a bit hotter. Dust could be a problem. Know anywhere where I can get canned air? Otherwise I'll use the compressor. Could it be the thermal compound also?

17. sammy_b0i

I guess it's possible that you had a bad mount to begin with and the paste has been effected by oxygen or something and dried out... but it's not likely. You can get canned air from places like jaycar, dse, officeworks and bunnings. Personally I'd probably just take the fan(s) off the heatsink, get a paint brush and use your lungs to free any dust up. If it looks really bad, you can use a compressor, just make sure you don't point it at any other components. Have heard stories that the air pressure can damage surface mount components.

18. Sammells

Sammells Member

The mount went flawlessly. The temps were outstanding. At 4500mhz under Prime95 temps maxed out at 50c. Since then the screws may of loosened, with ambient temp (summer) Has increased. Also I took of the fans and vacuumed the heatsink, I attempted to do the brush trick last week with no success. Almost tempted to sell up and move to a H100i and sell my Havik. It's hard to gain acces to parts of the mobo.

19. sammy_b0i

H100i won't be that massive an increase, tbh. I went from a H100 to an Archon. Temps roughly the same. Heaps cheaper and simpler.

20. Sammells

Sammells Member

Ideally I want to do a loop but the price is insane. I want a cleaner case and kind of over big HSF's. They actually require more maintenance in my current position. H100i is quiet (with my own fans) compatible with everything, cleaner (easier to access CPU socket area without cutting my hands and generally easier. Kind of just generally annoyed at the size of these coolers. Amazing performance for the price. I paid $70ish.