The Big Air Cooling Sticky!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Lardman, Aug 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. MrCupHolder

MrCupHolder Member

Well if you want something fancier. How about TWO CM Hyper 212's joined together in the form of a Noctua NH-D14. Just make sure you have room for it!

2. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

No one has posted in here in a bit, so I thought I'd update my current air cooling situation. Have a True120 mounted with a VenomousX kit. I -had- a Scythe GT on there, but wanted to be able to use all 4 dimm slots, so I grabbed a set of these new Silverstone FW121 slim profile Air Penetrators. I bought them before seeing that they also had the black FN123 version. Don't know if they're different, but the specs for the FW121 are pretty nice. Good static pressure, nice to look at (reminds me of the GT design), not quiet at full speed, but don't want them to be. Full speed is noisy, but that's expected, as it get up to 2,000 RPM.

Colour scheme definitely doesn't match the red/black of the ROG board. Lol.

Performance is great. I've got push/pull with all access to Dimm slots with very tall Trident heat spreaders. During The Witcher 3, temps for the CPU don't break 50 deg. Idles in the 20's. Very happy.

Only issue is that because they're slim, the stock fan clips don't work, so I've cable tied them on. Nice and quiet with rubber strips between them and the heatsink.

[​IMG]

Actually going to switch to an proper TR VenomousX that should better those temps by a few extra degrees. :thumbup:

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  3. Talsek

Talsek Member

Looking for a 200/230mm fan with molex power and a speed controller/switch

Anything you guys can recommend?

4. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

I highly doubt there is anything on the market with those requirements. Why do you need a speed controller anyway? These large fans generally only hit 800 RPM and make very little noise. as for the molex issue just get a fan header to molex converter.

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Holy Ninja thread revival Batman.............you were responding to a comment that was 8-9months old..........

Whilst were at it.

Here are some good budget Air Coolers that get some great reviews:
    Deepcool Gammaxx 400 $35
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/deepcool-gammaxx-400-cpu-cooler-review/8/

Deepcool Gammaxx 300 $28
    http://www.deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/2013-12/7_481.shtml

6. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Well I may as well kick this thread along....

I am building a new dual system and it did not for one moment seriously enter my head to use watercooling. H20 + electricity just doesn't sit right for me.... :)

The bits should be here in the next week or so and I'll incorporate the info in my "Romulus & Remus" - Dual System Build thread.

Cheers

7. Dimtar

Dimtar Member

Looking at a new build. I have two boxes now, both built in the same month. One has a AIO Corsair Hxx CPU cooler and its loud after 3 years (probably just the built in fan)

Whilst my other box has a Noctua air cooler, never makes any noise and as far as I can tell cools nicely. Am I crazy to think of putting another Noctua air cooler in my new build over an AIO water cooler?

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

AIO cooler is going to be affected by the fans used (I always bought after market fans) - so if you put the same Noctua fans on the AIO you may have similar noise outcomes.

The Noctue are quite because of the fans as well as the design.

9. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

When you say loud after 3 years.. is the radiator full of dust?

10. ShredSticks

ShredSticks Member

If you only have a 120/140mm AIO then you will certainly notice a performance difference if you upgrade to a big air cooler. Smaller AIOs are really only good for aesthetics, also in the long run they have more points of failure. And the pump adds another noise generating component.
    Fortunately the only thing that really can break on a heatsink is the fans. Although as Agg mentioned check that the fins aren't full of dust as this will be forcing the fan to run at full speed without achieving much.

Noctua are pretty amazing but they aren't the only ones these days, check out some of the offerings from Cryorig and BeQuiet too.

warcraft likes this.
  11. Dimtar

Dimtar Member

I am pretty sure you're right, TY.

I like the look of the Noctuas, thanks for your help here.

12. Spork!

Spork! Member

Would you like to buy a box of beige and babyshit brown???? Going cheap.

I'm sorry. Noctuas cool very well, and are well made. I've owned one. But to "like the look" of them? Sir, you are a unique individual, and I salute you. ;)
    The heatsinks themselves - not a problem - but the fans...

13. Dimtar

Dimtar Member

Haha, I see how that sounds. I meant I like the look of them, the setup, the warranty, the price etc. On the note of aesthetics, I don't care. I am too old for RGB LEDs etc. so every light I can turn off will be off.

warcraft likes this.
  14. StreekG

StreekG Member

Hi guys,

I am trying to optimise the air flow in my LAN build. I had to glue a fan mount to the front of the case, as you can see the perforations aren't really designed for fans, but rather passive air flow, so i figured with the black front panel also has vents, i'd try and have an intake fan there. I am now thinking maybe i should have the front fan as an exhaust and the rear fan as intake. What do you reckon?

[​IMG]

15. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

It looks correct the way it is larger intake to a smaller outlet - I have 2x140mm in and 1x120mm push/pull rad H70 going out.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think that would be absolutely fine, you're moving air through the case and over the hot parts :thumbup:

17. Adevoi

Adevoi New Member

I currently have a i7 7820x with a Kraken x52 AIO in a Fractal Design R6 case, x52 rad on top with fans inside in pull config.

I have a gtx1080ti in the case that sits at high 70 degrees to low 80's (running for most hours of the day). Ive pulled out the hd bays i dont use and moved the 2 i am using to top for better front 2 fan flow.

If i replaced the x52 with a Noctua nh-d12s (d-15 looks a bit big) with fan blowing towards the exhaust fan, would i be likely to have the inside of the case cooler, negligable difference or warmer?

I like that the air cooler should be a little quiter than the aio, plus rad is a pita when swapping mb to new case. Also without the rad on top id be able to add 2 or 3 fans at top of case for more exhaust/intake

(Other option is to put the fans on the rad in push config blowing hot case air out.)

I want as cool as possible case temp for the 1080ti, not o/c the cpu and happy if cpu temp goes up a little as long as its safe.

So my question is will a cpu cooler likely result in a lower case temp than aio setup?

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  18. Adevoi

Adevoi New Member

I have another question.
    I have an old cooler master full tower (looks an early version of a haf) and am putting a asrock ep2c602 mb + e52680 xeon in there + noctua cpu cooler
    I am deciding if this case+air cooled setup is going to be able to handle 2x windforce gtx1080's (i only have 1 atm atm have option of trading some old bits for a second used one).
    Plan would be to use a pcie riser to separate the 2 gpus, put 3x fans on front (or use the existing big fan) and 2 fans at top plus rear exhaust fan (this case has a big side fan i could run at low rpm too).

Would this be sufficient to cool the 2x1080's - ideally want them below around 75 deg. at full load?

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  19. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

No, it should be higher because an AIO vents the heat directly out whereas a cpu cooler takes the air in the case and heats it up when it blows it through the fins and leaves it in the case again which is exactly what graphics cards do unless they are the founders edition variety that also do vent out the case but essentially what you need is a lot of case fans and for example I have an Antec 1200 case which has three 120mm fans in the front, two in the back of the case and a 200mm fan on top and for these I select the lowest possible speed which really cuts down the noise a lot but still shifts a lot of air.

When the machine is going at maximum the air coming out of the case should still be warm but if its hot then you have insufficient venting from the case itself and the only two ways to fix this is to increase the fan speed which creates more noise which you don't want or alternatively the preferable way is just to get a bigger case with more fans in it similar to my 1200 case, there's no other way out of this problem.

People argue that if you have a lot of case fans then there's a lot of open area for noise to escape but if you have a top of the range CPU air cooler like a good Noctua or Thermalright there's not much noise coming from those and then all you have to do is make sure your video cards have oversized coolers and for example I bought my ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU II because it was 32 decibels when idle and only 33 decibels maxed out plus it was a really good card anyway although a bit on the more expensive side but it was well worth it overall.

If you want to know more about making PC's quiet then this site here is a good place to start. Warning! once you do make your PC quiet and you get used to it you can't go back to another noisy machine as it will drive you nuts.

Cheers

vladtepes likes this.
  20. Adevoi

Adevoi New Member

I checked and yes I am already pushing air out through the aio at the top of the case. If i did get a cpu cooler that would free the top of the case for 3x140mm fans (which hopefully would help extract that extra hot air id be pumping into the case).
    I already have noctua voltage controllers on the kraken aio fans, when i first installed it i couldnt beleive how noisy it was, but even with reduced rpm its still a bit too noticable.
    I tried adding a 140mm fan at bottom of case under hd bay but that made no difference to gpu temps.
    Im thinking ill get the noctua cpu cooler and some silentwings 3 fans and if it results in gpu temp increasing by more than a couple of degrees ill swap my systems around and use a dark base 900 case which has a lot more fan room.

Last edited: May 15, 2018