The Big Air Cooling Sticky!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Lardman, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Local temps didn't get under 28degrees last night, and got over 41 degrees today and the poor consumer grade router couldn't hack it so added some ghetto air cooling goodness.

(Don't laugh, it worked)

[​IMG]

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Rofl....great work, probably belongs in the ghetto mod thread too :p

Deano_20802 likes this.
  3. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

So you had to drink 4 beers in the cause of air cooling? So that's 'water' cooling for you. WIN - WIN

Deano_20802 likes this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Great way to justify sinking a few bevvies :cool:

5. Azrael

Azrael Member

So, reshelling my old i7 2600k after the mobo died while moving house. New mATX mobo only has one chassis fan port, and you used to be able to get fan splitter/controllers that would take multiple 3 pin fans and multiplex them using the voltage control signal from the mobo.

Is that still a thing these days? Some quick supplier searches show up only 4pin PWM controllers doing the same thing.

Not overly keen on replacing all the brand new 3 pin fans in this case (Enthoo mATX) with 4 pin ones.

6. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Google the right term and there are heaps...................
    3pin fan splitter

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/3-pin-fan-splitter

There are some choices there even a molex to 3 pin splitter.

http://computers.mwave.com.au/electronics/3pin-Splitter

https://www.umart.com.au/BitFenix-3...x-Female-3-Pin--60CM--BLACK-BLACK_20545G.html

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/9_1344/fans-accessories/fan-cables

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  7. Azrael

Azrael Member

The bit I missed in the original post is external power. Really don’t trust the onboard power to be able to supply 3x140 fans.

Looks like this is what I’m after anyway. https://www.pccasegear.com/products/28287/phanteks-pwm-fan-hub

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  8. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Member

10. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Elmf and Deano_20802 like this.
  11. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

I was so excited when I saw they finally decided to offer black products, I'm rocking D-15's in so many PC's.

12. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Lot of coin for a cooler on the face of it. Then have a look at how much you spend on the system and its a worthwhile investment .

13. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

I just paid for a Thermalright Le GRAND MACHO, can't wait to get a motherboard to use it :D

From initial quick reviews it's better than the D15.

14. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

15. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

hey all

just put a noctua nh-l9x65 on my i7-8700 in place of the stock air cooler and am finding the fan is spending a surprising amount of time at high speed. It's an mITX build and I've just dropped in a Windforce OC 2080ti as well, which also seems to be pretty noisy due to high fan speed. Whipped the side off the case and found it's running pretty warm inside... it's a Fractal Nano S. I've bumped up the case fan speeds (stock fractal fans) but it still runs hot. not sure what to do next... bigger fans?

16. power

power Member

I am beyond pissed that they are doing this now, i already have an ugly one!

who knows i might buy one anyway - looks sweet in black. Even just a black fan (which I know) they already do would be an improvement.

17. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

When you say 'pretty warm inside' can you provide some temps. HWMonitor will provide SYSTIN (System) and CPU temps.

Your case specs;
    https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-nano-s-window/black/
    - Add another front inlet fan, it that makes little difference,
    - consider a bottom 120mm inlet and top 140mm outlet,
    - what Thermal paste was used, consider a quality product (AS5, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, etc.),
    Frankly all of those options are going to add up and I would seriously consider getting a different case with greater airflow potential and that comes with all of those extra fans already. As an example I bought a Silverstone PM02B-G which came with 4x140mm fans (3 front/1 rear) for $139 and I added a top mounted Alphacool Eisbaer 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler and are very happy with it noise levels and thermal profile.
    If CPU Temps are very high and seem causal to overall system temps and thus fans always running high you could consider having the CPU delidded;
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/926803-i7-8700k-delid-results/

There are people on the forums that do it for other members;
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/delidding-liquid-metal-is-it-worth-it.1228633/
    Or you could have a go yourself;

Many people have delidded their 8700 with excellent outcomes.

18. Renegade40D

Renegade40D Member

As an experiment I would try removing the front dust filter, they can reduce air flow quite significantly.

19. Rich156

Rich156 Member

Take the flat front cover off & see how much air is getting into the case.

20. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 laptop that is now about 18 months old which has had cooling issues pretty much from new. Coming into summer, I have pulled it apart several times and cleaned up the cooling system, but all efforts have proved only temporary.

So, coming into summer (immediately after a significant Windows upgrade) it started playing up again so I opened it up and went through the cleaning routine which made no significant improvement.

A week or so later, I decided to open it up again to double-check the cooling system, and noticed that the SSD used the case as a heatsink via a couple of stickypads, and the SSD had a plastic part number sticker that was between the chips and the pads - I removed the sticker and reassembled the laptop - and it has been working well since then, including this recent hot weather.

I had noticed that SSD intensive tasks (moving files around, image editing etc.) were the most problematic tasks and I had upgraded the memory from 16 to 32G in an attempt to lessen the problem with no luck.

I hope this helps someone out in the future.