The Big Air Cooling Sticky!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Lardman, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Ice009

Ice009 Member

Where did you get it from? How is the RAM compatibility and also does it block the PCI-e x16 graphics card slot if that is the first one on your MB? Oh, and does it come with AM4 mounting?

2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Amazon or Newegg
    Pretty normal
    No on three different boards
    Yes

Mine has an extreme convex base so it's great on Intel but sucky on Ryzen. Not everyone seems to have the same base finish.

3. Ice009

Ice009 Member

Alright, thanks for the info. Any chance you could give me a link to the seller you got it from, or do you not remember if it was Amazon or Newegg? Oh, and how much did it cost?

4. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

You can get Thermalright coolers from their store on Taobao via superbuy (it seems to be closed atm though due to Chinese new year) or JD (joybuy) with a lot more variety since many new Thermalright coolers seem to be China exclusive, I bought their new Thermalright AS120 plus + AXP 90 full copper already and their new TS120 rev.B is on the way. I must say their cooler is quite cheap and good even you considering shipping you get significantly better coolers than what you get from our local retailers.

I am also wondering if anyone uses Prolimatech coolers before and if they are any good?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  5. jwai

jwai Member

Last year, I rebuilt my PC to the specs in my signature inside a Fractal Design Define Mini C case. Now I'm looking to replace the stock Wraith Stealth cooler with something else.

I'm looking to get hold of a low profile cooler because I don't overclock, and it gets around the issue of getting some gigantic tower cooler to both fit into the case and around other internal components. Even better would be one that has an RGB fan so I can see if the PC is powered on from a distance. The power LED on the case is often hard to see from outside the room because it is deeply recessed, and I tend to forget that the PC is even on as a result.

Is that going to be a bad idea?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  6. Recharge

Recharge Member

7. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

zoki_007 likes this.
  8. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

There are other good options too on Taobao, I recently bought one of these off there with copper baseplate and good build quality: https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?i...=2&is_b=1&rn=cff700361f570db740d2095e603957d5 ;)
    The new Thermalright AS120 is also really good with good thermal paste, sourced one from Taobao and it is cooling a 8700K/9700K without a fuss and its pretty quiet with Noctua like mounting.

9. Recharge

Recharge Member

Update to the above cooler, it's surprisingly good.
    dropped 30c from the stock cooler, at full load running cinebench 63.9c, idle 36.5c (ambient was something like 25c from memory)
    doesn't get ridiculously loud, but I plan to eventually upgade the fans to better ones (and all the old case fans too)

took 29 days from China, one of the few last things I'll buy from there (unless there is no other option)

vladtepes likes this.
  10. luke o

luke o Member

I saw Linus review one of these awhile back, very very interesting. Currently building a mini-ITX build but I'll be keeping on eye on these for future builds. I like the idea a lot.

11. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Hey guys I just want to share my recent findings on Taobao, I found a new cooler brand Proartist (formed by ex Prolimatech employee) which makes decent air coolers and it seems to have a great build quality with a very reasonable price ;)

Too bad the cooler is still with my relative so hopefully I can get my hands on it when the travel ban is lifted and see if it can match or beat the more expensive Noctua counter part, this cooler uses hole-less reflow soldering technique which I have not seem on any other air coolers from other big brands :eek:

m1.jpg m2.jpg m3.jpg m4.jpg

Interestingly this brand also made a support bracket for Ryzen CPU so there is no way you can pull your Ryzen CPU out when removing your cooler: https://h.bilibili.com/65005474

Edit: I will post some more pics here once I got the cooler on my hands

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    raincloudx likes this.
  12. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

How much would that come in at in AUD?

13. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Right now it should be around 70AUD or 299CNY (should be cheaper as exchange rate improves) pp after discount and with the Ryzen CPU support bracket and their M12T fan as a bonus for those who bought it at launch. If you type proartist D3 on Taobao it should pop up, in comparison Noctua U12S is about 85-90 shipped from Newegg.

They also got a budget cooler called G3 which can often be found under 25AUD which is a 4 heatpipe cooler with copper baseplate and according to reviews this seems to be the new king of budget coolers.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  14. Recharge

Recharge Member

https://9gag.com/gag/aXgbLw2
    spoiler a demonstration on how different applications of TIM pastes spread out on a CPU.
    (Any one know how to make this display as a Gif type image?)

edit. interesting lapping test of IHS 3600

edit Note: does not indicate weather he lapped his heatsink base as well, which would make a difference.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  15. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

I spotted the updated Thermalright U120E Black (ES) from Chiphell a while ago, looks like it is receiving mounting update and improved memory compatibility ;) I dunno when Thermalright will release this but it is most likely this year since this thread is from last year. I also asked my Proartist seller there is gonna be a U120E equivalent called G5 (also the same 6x6mm heatpipe) from Proartist coming next month :D This is just for those who are interested in nice single tower coolers but dont wish to pay the hefty price tag Noctua is asking for.

Link to see the updated U120E Black (ES): https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2022085-1-1.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    ae00711 likes this.
  16. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

Speaking of single tower, ID-Cooling SE-234-XT ARGB appears to be excellent, cheap and has shiny lights if that's your thing

17. Recharge

Recharge Member

18. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

19. Recharge

Recharge Member

eek, might as well buy a noctua at that point

20. Recharge

Recharge Member