1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Big Air Cooling Sticky!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Lardman, Aug 26, 2008.

1. micsway123

micsway123 Member

or the biggest cpu fan you've never seen?

upload_2021-10-22_0-21-49.png

Deus_Ex_Machina and MR CHILLED like this.
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Bwuhahaha, might as well just stick a regular floor fan on the side of ya pc. Pretty cool novelty item for the man cave.

micsway123 likes this.
  3. micsway123

micsway123 Member

hey raincloudx I notice you always go with tower/air coolers over AIO, any reason for this?

I've been rocking an EK240 and thinking about going back to a Noctua D15 mainly for acoustic reasons.

performance about the same I believe?

4. Sankari

Sankari Member

Zalman coolers were so damn good. Back in the day I had an Nvidia branded CNPS9700 NT.

boozle likes this.
  5. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

I don't think any air cooler can match a 360/280, but the high end coolers are just as good if not better than the 240 rads.

I just prefer air due to less risk, don't want to deal with a leak haha although I have a Ek280 AIO in my second rig - looks amazing.

Is yours loud due to the pump or fans? Cos I found the EK fans loud, replaced them with Arctics and its so much better.

t8y likes this.
  6. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Not after a Chromax Black are you by any chance are you? I'm going AIO and will be selling mine. (It's the BIG one).

micsway123 likes this.
  7. Blinky

Blinky Member

Yeah I might be interested - pm me, please.

8. micsway123

micsway123 Member

I too swapped the fans with noctus actually and I think I find the setup a tad bit more noisy because it requires a top mount exhaust on my case which would otherwise be closed if I had a tower cooler.

I used to have one just not as big as the D15, I'm tempted to give it a go.

9. micsway123

micsway123 Member

if you listed it for sale I might be tempted to bid :)

10. Blinky

Blinky Member

It's already gone mate.

micsway123 likes this.
  11. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Finally found this thread hiding here, and can’t believe there’s no sub-forum for everyday air cooler talk!

Now that I’ve updated my Intel 4460 into a Node 804 case and fitted it with a Geforce 770 GTX, it’s not cooling enough with some of the more pressing games, so I purchased my first 3rd party cooler in over 10 years! Just awaiting my new Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler Black Edition V2 to arrive in the mail. :leet:

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I reckon a poll would be interesting here to see what is being used by people these days, but I reckon AIO's are now fairly dominant by most enthusiast / semi enthusiast users now. There's certainly been a shift away from air cooling imo, since AOI's went much more mainstream. Personally I love them for how they unclutter the case and are pretty quiet.

13. Blinky

Blinky Member

Nooooo!
    This is my 3rd one.

[​IMG]

… but yes I agree the AIO would be hitting big numbers. When my fan fails the CPU won’t die, but what happens when the AIO pump fails hmmm?

BurningFeetMan and MR CHILLED like this.
  14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Bwuhahaha, that things huge! Actually I had a noctua big ass hsf and they rock, but it was massive and came close to hitting the case window :D

20171210_154327.jpg

Surely in either situation cpu overheat protection kicks in. But with AIO's the failure rate is very low (we had a lengthy discussion here previously iirc) and we're looking at 7 years for pump failure. Now I know for me it's rare to keep a cooler anywhere past probably 3 or 4 years, so for me personally I'm never really concerned with pump failure.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    BurningFeetMan and Blinky like this.
  15. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

exactly, and the argument for 'ive had my PC for 9 years and it's still going strong' is kind of negated by being the kind of person who doesn't give a toss about their PC - might as well buy an air cooler in the first place then

love this Noctua... but I do wish it was black

[​IMG]

Blinky likes this.
  16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

They definitely looks much better in black rather than the poo brown colours. Awesome coolers but I've never understood why Noctua persisted with poo brown :p

ShadowBurger likes this.
  17. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

because it screams "I paid for a quality Noctua fan' rather than just be generic black.
    I kinda like them but I also don't give much of a shit about aesthetics - and I have a clear case to show off my brown noctua fans. :)

Air vs AIO coolers.
    I prefer air. The Thermaltake AIO cooler I had was noisier than a noctua air cooler. (pump noise).
    Plus it ended up leaking which is no bueno.

18. ClownMan

ClownMan Member

Can anyone identify this noctua heatsink? It's missing one of the 120mm fans that came with it, thanks guys!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Blinky

Blinky Member

Have a look here -> https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s
    You can load up “products” and match the photos.

20. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Been a couple of days since updating from stock Intel i5-4460 heatsink to my new Hyper 212 Black Edition. The temp drop has been approx 30°C.

The game Pacer was what first sounded alarm bells. I didn’t realise at the time that the micro-stutters the game was throwing were due to CPU temps of 85°+ :wired:

But with the upgrade done, temps stay below 55°C under full load, resulting in smooth as gameplay. And I must admit how impressed I am with i5-4460 keeping up with the games I’ve been throwing at it, albeit 60fps 1080p - which is fine for gaming from my couch.

B8583EBC-F2A7-44A6-906B-5349D9EF8B4C.jpeg