The BIG Apple iPhone 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jun 8, 2010.

1. millsy

millsy Member

Oh my bad, forgot I have that set as default. The plans are the same anyway, business just gets free voicemail and different SLA's.

2. L4ncer

L4ncer Member

Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find what I was looking for.
    I'm new to iPhones, both myself and my girlfriend recently got iPhone 4s but I'm a bit confused about syncing.

Both myself and my girlfriend will be using the same iTunes (on my computer) as she doesn't know how to do it on her own.. but anyway.

So my question is, if I download some apps, is there anyway to keep these separate so she can also download apps she wants and have hers sync to her phone and mine sync to my phone? I know how to download apps etc but not sure how using 2 phones on the one iTunes works.

Any help would be appreciated :D

3. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre (Banned or Deleted)

Pretty sure App's are linked to the account, so if you and your handbrake both have seperate accounts it should be fine (actually thinking on it now you will need to have seperate accounts)

4. L4ncer

L4ncer Member

Hmm well she just created an itunes store account today (your talking about store account right?) so that makes sense.. but what doesn't make sense is that once myself and her have downloaded apps with our separate accounts, they will still appear in the one library right? So how can we prevent the apps from my account going onto her iphone and so on.

5. millsy

millsy Member

It's based off the phone, not itunes from my understanding

6. msconfig

msconfig Member

Use the same iTunes account so that you only have to pay for apps once despite on 2 devices (limit: 5 devices).

If you want to sync it seperately then you could make two seperate iTunes library. To do this:

1. Hold shift and click iTunes on your start menu. You will be prompted to select a library or create a new one.
    2. Click create a new library and choose a location of where you want it to store.
    3. Sync your girlfriends iPhone to that library.

If you want to sync yours then close iTunes, hold shift and click iTunes again, select your library then connect your iPhone to do a sync. Obviously the same steps when you want to go sync back with your girlfriends iPone.

Ta Da!

7. millsy

millsy Member

iTunes keeps filling up my ssd with crap (pretty sure backing up my contacts/settings/sms's doesn't take 4gb) is there a way to limit what it backs up?
    *edit* Actually I think the problem is that it's syncing apps (I needed to enable this so I could install an app from the .ipa file), is there a way to turn that off without wiping the apps off my phone? Seems a pretty damn flawed system...

8. bryn

bryn Member

plug your phone in, click on it in the sidebar then click the "apps" tab up the top. you can specify what syncs to the phone. do the same on the other one :)

9. millsy

millsy Member

Actually a better option is to probably just not use itunes at all, what are people using for syncing up music libraries atm? Without itunes obviously :p

10. brayway

brayway Member

same its damn annoying............:mad:

11. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah it's silly, I want to de tick app syncing but it'll wipe my phone >.<

12. millsy

millsy Member

13. mazmorbid

mazmorbid (Banned or Deleted)

14. millsy

millsy Member

Lol considering it's not even out yet to the general public it's a pretty solid effort imo (if not stupid for releasing it before it came out)

15. dingdong555

dingdong555 Member

Guys, telstra have my IMEI to unlock my phone, do I have to have my Sim card in when I restore for it to say "unlock successful" or can I have NO sim card in and it will still be successful?

16. msconfig

msconfig Member

2 options:
    1. Do a restore. This method would not require another carriers sim card.
    2. Do a sync. This method would require another carriers sim card - Plug the carriers sim in and perform a sync.

Personally I did method 2 as I didn't want to install 4.2 (I'm still on 4.0.1 :D)

17. dingdong555

dingdong555 Member

Yeah, still no unlock yet.

But, I need to ship this phone to the new buyer tomorrow, so, if I do, and it isn't unlocked, can I still call telstra and give them the IMEI for them to unlock (even though my simcard isn't in the phone) and it will be unlocked when the new owner does a restore/whatever?

18. msconfig

msconfig Member

Yep you can do that. Neither Telstra or iTunes would know you sold it :p

EDIT: I just noticed you specifically made reference to your own sim card. No that would not be necessary. If they want to perform an unlock using a restore all that is required is a Telstra sim. Also note that the process may take a few days

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  19. brayway

brayway Member

Yea, i Sold my old 3GS to a friend who is also on 3, he just re-sold it again, and need it unlocked, i just gave 3 the last 4 digits of the imei and they unlocked it, took 48 Hrs but just checked a couple of hourse ago and it is done, i requested it on sunday :thumbup:

20. dingdong555

dingdong555 Member

So they'll need a Telstra SIM?