The BIG Apple iPhone 4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Jun 8, 2010.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

2. L4ncer

L4ncer Member

I honestly don't know what the hell people are going on about that this "tracking" stuff is an invasion of privacy. I just recently got an iPhone and honestly, who gives a shit? If they use the data to improve services then really what is everyone complaining about? Apple don't have a secret control room kilometers underground monitoring your whereabouts and see when you scratch your ass etc.

Please stop crying.

Thanks.

3. ewok85

ewok85 Member

This is a possible issue, but Apple or anyone else does not collect or monitor the information.

4. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre (Banned or Deleted)

How do we know though? its not the first time apple have been caught with their pants down collecting unneeded information.

5. chokeeweebee

chokeeweebee Member

Its an invasion of privacy, not from apple even though their devices are the ones that are tracking you, but from the fact that apple makes it so damn easy to get the whole log of data of where you have been to people who may have other motives for getting a whole years records of where you go to the pub every friday night, what you do on easter, which sex shops you like to frequent, and where you stay on christmas (think kidnapper, thief, con artist, or even a stalker).

seriously apple should either do what android did and turn this log file of where you have been into a cache (wipe it every month or week maybe even day).

or it should do what android did and have a disagree button, that wipes out your location cache if one day you change your mind about being tracked by apple.

Or it should do what android did and not keep a copy of that log inside your computer when you backup your iphone (granted android doesn't even do backups without root)

Either way they should have encrypted or made the file less accessible to the average computer user, because right now if someone does want to take a log of where you have been ever since you have bought your iphone or updated to ios4 all they have to do is copy your iphone backup file from your computer, run it through this software, and then done, they have all the information of the places you have been at what times.

And yes i know on android it does send the location cache to google once every day or so (apple does the same thing) if you leave location services on, but at least they did think about their users privacy and they had the decency to wipe out its location data if you decide to disagree to google's terms and conditions. I'm just hoping this episode of user tracking simply is sloppy coding on apple's part, rather than some insidious plot to track down its users the way google has, which funnily enough is easier to say no to compared to apples tracking.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  6. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

my sentiments exactly. i guess you people need to wear your tin foil hats everywhere. those satellites are scanning your brainwaves for criminal thoughts.

boo effing who if someone can find out where you have been. this is not some NCIS/CSI/alphabet soup tv show. nobody gives a rats arse if you visit the brothel every effing night or that you fap to hardcore midget with goat pr0n.

7. James086

James086 Member

I suppose you support punishment without trial and searches without warrants too. After all, if you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to hide. :rolleyes:

8. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

come again? last i checked. just because you are at a crime scene does not make you the perpetrator. you have to have motive and all that. cops all of a sudden dont put you in the slammer all because you happened to be at the crime scene.

no one is saying that someone should get punished without trial. or that searches will be done without warrant. either way. if you know you are in the right. you will get your chance to prove it. to paraphrase one alphabet soup of a tv show. "people lie. evidence doesn't."

if there is no evidence you commited a crime then you will be proven so.

9. James086

James086 Member

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. There is an important reason for police requiring a warrant to search you (or reasonable suspicion which they must be able to defend in court). Without the right to privacy we are a step closer to an authoritarian regime. The attitude "if you haven't done anything wrong, then you have nothing to hide" is not correct. I don't want to be tracked even though I don't go to meet drug dealers and bikie gangs.

10. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

australia is so far from an authoritarian regime. you want one. go live in north korea. or china.

mobile phone services as far as i can tell had to have a way of knowing where you are through mobile phone tower triangulation. its how gps on phones works as well. so is geotagging.

you want your privacy. you get to live with a non 3G phone. even then. you can still be triangulated based on mobile phone towers. albeit not as accurate i guess.

better still you want your privacy. you live off the grid. no running water, electricity, phone or internet. there you can have all the privacy you want.

its somewhat of a price to pay for wanting to know where you are.

EDIT:

last i checked cops have better things to do than check up on everyone. only people of interest to them. and yes i know the cops/government dont have some secret bunker with high tech computers keeping an eye on everyone.

or maybe there is???? *cue x-files theme.

11. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Oh please - your phone carrier tracks all of the same information and more, and yet I don't see you giving them any thought.

Apple doesn't make it easy - someone would still need to have physical access to your PC or phone, and even then the information is limited. Have you looked at it yet?

Here you go - can you guess where I live?

[​IMG]

(Link to Google Maps)

Now, can you work out what house I live in? :rolleyes:

This isn't GPS data - this is very basic aGPS data.

Just for giggles, here is my larger maps:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3788221/iphonetracker01.png
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3788221/iphonetracker02.png

At best you can tell roughly where I was within a large area, and even then its not accurate.
    Edit: If you include WiFi data then it looks like it works from the IP address. This does some funny things because when I'm using a VPN from my iPhone it seems to think I'm somewhere I'm not (Hawaii, New Orleans, Sydney, Brussels, Singapore, etc :p)

12. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

thats it. your house is so going to broken into now. :lol:

im so scanning your brainwaves now that i know where you are located. :p

13. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Apparently the software deliberately messes with the data - so I'm going to have to play with it and see just how good this stuff is.

14. cpl punish

cpl punish Member

It seems like it would be rather easy to work out where someone lives if you go day-by-day and see the same data points continually.

Please update if you find a really accurate version of this software :thumbup:

15. James086

James086 Member

Believe it or not, I don't want to live under an authoritarian regime, that's why I support the right to privacy. Something that Apple does not care about.
    I am willing to let the Water Corporation know my address, they bill me and provide water to my home. I'm willing to let Vodafone know which tower I'm nearest, afterall, it would be pretty hard for me to receive and make calls without them knowing. They don't triangulate my phone unless the police demand it. What reason does Apple have for recording every phone tower I have connected to, at precise times and log it in an unencrypted file on my pc and phone? Is this so they can provide a better service to me? Perhaps I'd like to be informed of this and make a decision as to whether I'd like my movements tracked.

As we know it hasn't caused anyone any problems, but I oppose the principal of it. Just like I oppose the hoon laws and the stop and search laws in Northbridge (police can search you for no reason). I oppose them because they undermine key aspects of a free country; trial before sentencing and the right to privacy. There's no reason for Apple to log your every move so why are they doing it?

16. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Depends - I pulled the latitude/longitude readings from my phone and plonked the points into Google Maps:

[​IMG]

I live somewhere on this map, can you guess where?

(Clue, I live very close to that block of water in the bottom center)

Having actually seen the data, and seen it on a map, I can't find a single thing its gotten right. You can sort of make out when I've gone places, but not exactly where. My home isn't marked, my work isn't marked, but there are random locations marked over a very wide area. You can sort of make out what days I've gone where (roughly - like when I've travelled to the airport) and in some cases out in country you could make educated guesses as to where I stayed since there simply isn't anywhere else to go.

You won't be stalking me home or working out where I go to the gym, or anything like that. Hell, looking at this I can't even tell where I've been and I know exactly where I've been.

If I can make my map public I'll do it, when I get home :p

17. money_killer

money_killer Member

whats with the swastika ? :D

18. ewok85

ewok85 Member

19. money_killer

money_killer Member

20. ewok85

ewok85 Member

The swastika has been a very important symbol in eastern religions (like Hinuism and Buddhism) and in Japan is the symbol that is closely related to Buddhism much like crosses are related to Christianity. On maps this is the symbol they use.