1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Big UnRAID thread

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by saba, Apr 15, 2010.

1. d-Z1R3

d-Z1R3 Member

hey guys new to this unraid stuff been on windows home server 2011 since 2012 and my mb on that server has given up the ghost, in the process of transferring data and adding drivers, currently its a AMD Ryzen 3 3200G, Asus Prime B450 Plus 16Gb Ram, 120Gb Crucial SSD(Cache Drive) 2 x 6Tb Western Digital Red Drives and planning on adding 2 more 6tb Red Drives in the next few days, now should i add it as another 2 drives to the current array or should i get another 120gb sdd and add it as a second array?

also if i do add it to the current array of the 2 6tb drives with one as a parity drive will i lose another drive as another parity drive?

2. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

If you add an extra drive to your 2x 6TB array (with one as parity) then you can keep adding drives to the array and you won't be losing a drive, provided that the drive isn't larger in size when compared to the largest drive in your array.

Not too sure about the second array question.

3. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

are you going to use the ssd as a cache drive? if you add a 2nd 120gb by default it will run mirrored, however you can change this to raid0 to allow extra capacity - if you plan on adding drives down the track to the cache you will need to ensure your initial drive is formatted in BTRFS and not XFS which i think is the default.

4. d-Z1R3

d-Z1R3 Member

cheers guys looks like i am adding more drives to my current array!

5. Kosti

Kosti Member

Hey All,
    I posted something similar on the unraid forums and had forgotten we had a thread on here, so a bit of cut and paste as I need some guidance

It's been 5-6 years since I last looked at unRaid way before features such as Kernel-based Virtual Machine and Dockers existed, Dang! I just reviving a HP Gen8 with a few modification, due to the upgraded PSU went POP during a preclearing of a WD 12TB HDD via USB.

While this is still a mystery why the PSU blew up, I wasn't going to shell out more for another PSU so decided to butcher up the GEN8 and shoved it in to another case I had lying around

• Xeon E3-1265L V2 with a modified Noctua NH-9i HSF
    • 16GB ECC RAM
    • HP Smart Array P420 flashed to IT mode with 2GB FBWC and BBU installed in PCI 1
    • Addonics AESN5DA35-A Snap-In Disk Array PRO (holds 5 drives)
    • Corsair 650W
    Originally was using ESXI and ran unRaid along side a few other VM's like Xpenology and FreeNas. But honestly due to one dude "SpaceInvaderOne" & through his awesome tutorials on how good unRaid has become that I want to take a further look and rebuild my crippled NAS with the current hardware and try out unRAID again.

My primary use is to be centralized storage for my household of 6 users, including Plex Media Server storage. I am not planning on doing much with the dockers yet, will have camera capture / surveillance, share folders across 6 users and backups of Apple devices. Possibly build a pfsens in a VM to replace the raspi running pie-hole so a lot to do and learn along the way.

I'd planned to use a 250GB SSD for a cache drive, but thinking to replace this with 2 x 480GB SSD drives as RAID0 due to the Samsung 840 getting old so may as well dump it for the 2 x Intel S3500 480G units.

Eventually I want to use all 12TB drives which will last a while given since I've just picked up 2 of them from Amazon recently, this is to allow me to sort and store all my folders and data to one of them before moving files to the NAS, I need to consolidate!

List of HDD's that need consolidating
    3 x 3TB WD Green; 1 x 3TB Seagate : These are already out free of data and ready to sell off to fund additional larger HDD's

Still to sort and be wipe
    6 x 4TB Seagate (4 of them are new, only powered up a few times if that, no data written to them or precleared yet so potentially will be used to add to unraid with one of the 12TB as the parity drive)? sell off unused drives to fund additional larger HDD
    1 x 4TB WD; 1 x 5TB Toshiba; 1 x 8TB Seagate, once all data is moved to unRAID sell off to fund additional larger HDD

Now due to some limitations of the HP GEN8 board such as SATA ports, BIOS etc, I plan to including additional back up options. The loose plan is to use the 8TB as a parity drive and use 3 X 4TB for unRAID. Then take this data and back this up to another single drive not part of unraid and perform some sort of rsync or similar to keep it updated and backed up, eventually replacing the 8TB with a 12TB or larger

I'm wanting to use the B120i onboard controller on the HP for this rsync backup as its a crap raid-controller where by the first 2 slots are at SATAII 6G and the others are SATA1 3G. so hence I've got a HP P420 Smart Array and will use this for unRAID

Something like this

B120i --> 2 x SATAII - connect 2 x 12GB Mirror for backing up UNRAID NAS
    B120i --> 2 X SATA I - connect drives for slow storage or simply not used them maybe for VM storage like PFsense?

Use the ODD SATA port, either use for backup purposes add to the above as a new pool or not use at all?
    HP Smart Array P420 --> Port 1 connect 4 drives, 1 x 8TB - 3 x 4TB
    HP Smart Array P420 --> Port 2 connect 2 X 480G SSD Cache, leaves 2 spare SATA ports for expansion creating hot spare or preclearing

Hey ChinoPD, you've seem to had your hands and feet knee deep into UNRAID, I also like your folder structure I saw in a earlier post for plex!,

So I guess my first step is consolidate all my folders & DATA, remove duplications across multiple drives and figure out how to label photos and then move this onto unraid, fark me this is going to be painful

ChinoPD and greencamel65 like this.
  6. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Finally migrated from a Synology DS918+ with 4X3TB drives to an Unraid setup. My aim with this build was to keep it as similar to the Synology (spec wise/low power consumption) while giving me the ability to use SAS drives.

Went with
    SilverStone DS380
    AsRock J3455B-ITX
    16GB DDR3
    8 X 6TB Hitatchi 7200rpm SAS drives
    2 X Intel 256GB SSD for Cache.

So far really happy with the results. Not the beefiest system, but the same CPU/RAM as the Synology had and so far Plex and all my other dockers are running fine. I've been really impressed by Unraid and the Silverstone DS380 case.

7. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Apologies for the late follow up Kosti!

I'm far from the ideal person to help with the set up. I think I just got extremely lucky with the set up? I've had some hiccups at the start which I've been able to resolve via their wiki and community forums. Also including from very useful peeps here. But overall, I think I've been blessed by luck.

Here are the resources that are an absolute must:
    https://forums.unraid.net/

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_Wiki

Tell me about it! I eventually gave up with converting although I could have easily scripted it. One of the main reasons I decided not to go with this path and instead recreate a library from scratch is because I wanted consistency with my media.

I had far too many subpar HD content so I let my OCD kick in and scrap thousands of files. These files were great for the 22" I was using at a time but not ideal now since I have a 65" 4k screen. A decent 1080P with good audio still looks and sound great for me for my set up at home. I don't have the storage luxury at the moment to be going towards the 4k compression RIP path.

In terms of file organization, I've left the work for apple iCloud to handle. So that alone probably has saved my blood sweat and tears, LOL. I simply stick to movies , shows, and some docos at this point. If you follow this then PLEX will have zero complaints:
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/naming-and-organizing-your-tv-show-files/

I have old music there too, same situation as my old movies and they're still in limbo. As in: I haven't finished reorganizing them for PLEX to show me exactly what I want. Nor have I made any other additions as music services like Spotify seem to have nearly all of my childhood and old libraries I enjoy listening to. Including any new ones that my old self appreciates these days.

Kosti likes this.
  8. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

After picking up a B350 and Athlon 3000G cheap off the forums, I thought it'd be good to finally upgrade my aging FX-6100 file/plex server to something lower TDP and also look into running something with parity instead of just waiting until a HDD was about to die and then madly transferring its contents to a new HDD :lol: UnRAID really caught my eye due to the flexibility of adding drives to the array so easily. I've just done my first install of it and have started the very slow task of transferring my old contents to the partial array, adding an 8TB drive once I've transferred its contents over and formatted it ready to add to the array. I also picked up a few new 8TB drives since I was flush with a bit of cash to spend on this upgrade.

On first impressions, I really like the setup of UnRAID and how easy it was to get the community app store up and going as well as a few handy plugins. I'll be super happy once I've got all my data all setup and I can get my Plex server going again! I'm still trying to get my head around docker apps, containers etc, but it's certainly an interesting learning curve.

Old system:

AMD FX-6100
    Gigabyte 990FX board with 6 SATA ports + a cheapy 2 port SATA PCIE add on card
    1 x 80GB SSD
    2 x 8TB
    5 x 3TB

New system:

AMD Athlon 3000G
    Asus B350 board with 6 SATA ports + 1 m.2 port
    1 x 256GB m.2 SSD (cache)
    6 x 8TB (1 parity, 5 storage)

The 2 port PCIE add on card doesn't appear to be supported by UnRAID, though I can't see what chipset it is to double check. Suppose this is the case and it definitely isn't supported, any recommendations on a cheap addon card to expand my SATA ports? I wouldn't mind being able to add in a couple of the 3TB drives once I have transferred their contents too :)

Is there anything else I'm missing? I've got a note down to create a backup of my UnRAID flash drive but that's about it. Any must have plugins/apps you've found super useful? So far I've only got Unassigned Devices and Krusader installed, with Plex next on my list.

Cheers!

9. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

Are you using this just for unRAID or you using plex or what dockers ?

10. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

The Perc h310 is a popular card. Can run up to 8 SAS/SATA drives. Will then give you flexibility to pickup cheap SAS drives top add to your array. I believe they need to be flashed to IT mode (not sure if mandatory but I did) - https://techmattr.wordpress.com/201...-flashing-to-it-mode-dell-perc-h200-and-h310/

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-PE...m5db831854f:g:kdcAAOSwd0dfiWqI&frcectupt=true

11. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

UnRAID with Plex ideally :)

12. Opticon

Opticon Member

I've run multiple H310's in IT mode without issue for unraid as well.

Take a look at the Backup/restore plugin to have daily, weekly or monthly backups of your appdata and USB key to the storage array. If it ever fails then you can load a USB using the same version at the time of the backup and restore unraid settings & appdata
    https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/61211-plugin-ca-appdata-backup-restore-v2/

My recommended plugins:
    - ControlR (mobile app companion)
    - CA AutoUpdate Applications
    - CA Backup / Restore applications
    - CA Moving Tuning
    - Dynamix Fan auto control
    - Dynamix Folder Caching
    - Dynamix Schedules
    - Dynamix SSD trim
    - Dynamix System Temp
    - Enhanced Log Viewer
    - Fix Common Problems
    - Nerd Tools
    - Network Statistics
    - Open Files or Dynamix Active Streams
    - Recycle bin
    - Tips and Tweaks
    - Unassigned Drives

Dockers:
    - DoubleCommander
    - DiskSpeed
    - Glances or Grafana-Unraid-Stack or Munin-Server or netdata (for monitoring of the unraid host itself)
    - QDirStat
    - Pihole

Pbx_Jnr likes this.
  13. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

They are some awesome suggestions. I'll definitely try that grafana and qdirstat docker

14. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Indeed, thanks so much Opticon and StratosFear! It turns out I have a Perc H310 just sitting here would you believe :lol: Just need to order some cables. Is there any easy way to tell if it has already been flashed to IT mode?

15. Opticon

Opticon Member

From memory, there should be no option to create RAID volumes in IT mode and the card BIOS should read as LSI and not Dell.

This is an old guide but is probably still relevant. It covers BIOS & UEFI methods and also which pins to tape over if your system doesn't boot with it plugged in (I had cover certain pins for my H97N-Wifi)
    Updated: SAS HBA crossflashing or flashing to IT mode, Dell Perc H200 and H310 – techmattr (wordpress.com)

16. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Alright brains trust, needing your guidance please. H310 appears to be in IT mode and is showing as LSI:

IMG_20201213_134603.jpg

In the bios it detects the 4 drives as non-RAID but won't detect in unRAID.

I ordered forward breakout cables for the drives so I'm fairly confident they're not the issue.

Anything I can do to get them to detect?

17. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

18. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Thanks StratosFear I ordered those ones just in case :lol:

19. Opticon

Opticon Member

If you go into the configuration utility, do you see all the disks listed there?
    Are there any options to create a RAID array? If so then you're not in IT mode.

What guide did you follow?

greencamel65 likes this.
  20. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Thanks Opticon ! Indeed I was not in IT mode. I kinda made the assumption that if it was booting up showing LSI that it was already flashed. I ended up going through the steps and flashed it. It's now showing everything :)

upload_2020-12-14_22-18-32.png

Now the fun task of migrating everything over and then adding the drives to the array!

Thanks again everyone

greencamel65 likes this.