The Biggest Selling Point For P67 Motherboards

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Salad Fingers, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers (Banned or Deleted)

I recently (November 2010) upgraded my PC; i7-950, X58A-UD3R, 2x 1GB GTX 460s etc...

The biggest issue I have was that almost all of the X58 boards' PCIe slots were only separated by one slot, which servilely restricts the overclocking headroom on my GPUs because one of the cards is starved of air.

As I look though the new P67 range I see this problem has been fixed with the first slot being a 1x speed PCIe - perfect for sound cards then two regular PCIe slots for GPUs separated by two further PCIe/PCI slots. PERFECT!

I'm almost considering upgrading just because of this now...

Why all boards weren't like this before beats me.

/end rant and praise

2. _the_duke_

_the_duke_ (Taking a Break)

You make a valid point.

3. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

But seriously, there's multitude of X58 boards that don't have the two 16x slots next to each other. If you're looking budget range, you're going to get boards with budget layouts. I just went all out for the P6T6 with NF200

4. Ulan

Ulan Member

I was considering upgrading my aging P35 motherboard but when I heard about this feature, my level of readiness reached 9000+.

5. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

It really kills me that more boards don't come with 2 NF200's in a regular ATX form factor.

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

becuase they have THREE of them. how are you going to fit three in the space of 7 slots if you have 2 spaces between each (and fit inside atx with dual slot cards)?

I find the P67/IOH combo is still lacking in PCIe, there should be 8/8/4+various 1x ones, not just 2x 8x and a few 1x slots. this is the major gripe of the P55/P67. even my AMD board which i consider cheap has 16/16/4/1

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  7. eastley

eastley Member

My X58 board has 2 slots between the PCIe slots!

Nice bit of air going through!!!!

But only got 1 x PCIex1 I can access.

8. TheContact

TheContact Member

Do you mean not having a card hang off the bottom of the board? Though Trifire/sli needs to hang off the current board designs anyway. Otherwise, in theory it is possible: PCIe, gap, gap, PCIe, gap, gap, PCIe. You'd just be severely restricted with chipset cooling which probably makes it infeasible.

P67 boards have the next best thing with PCIe in the second slot rather than the third, making it possible to atleast run sli/xfire with a gap rather than have no gap in any configuration.
    Looking at my board, had they made the chipset cooler a little thinner and longer towards the ram slots, it would have been possible to move the first PCIe slot up.

9. dualmassager

dualmassager Member

My R3E has perfect spacing (imo) for PCI-E:

-- ------- (pcie 16x)
    (space)
    -- ------- (pcie 8x)
    -- --- (pcie 4x)
    -- ------- (pcie 16x)
    ---- - (pci)
    -- ------- (pcie 8x)

So if you're running 2 cards, there is a good 2 slots space :thumbup:

10. Wingo

Wingo New Member

You didn't look too hard. My p6t Deluxe v2 (hmmm... assuming it hasn't been discontinued) is design as you listed, and I know of an ASrock board which is the same.

EDIT: Disregard, P6T Deluxe is indeed discontinued... but the ASRock is still available.

11. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

I have always picked my mainboards on PCI-layout. The 8x PCI-Ex16 2.0 in the EVGA boards baffle me, thought SLI was max 3? and Xfire was 4? Maybe there's controller software to let 8 work...

I wish they had a 1x at the top, then you can cable out the USB3.0 plug (as is with my 600T, out the WC grommot!). Such as:
    1x
    16x
    (space)
    8x
    16x
    8x or something
    16x
    8x or something

@Dualmaster

You can run Triple (16x/8x/8x) if you want and use PCI 1, 3/4. The layout is the main reason I bought the R3E, ran 16x/16x and can fit a 3rd if I wanted and still have space so Card#1 doesn't overheat. In game, it runs sub 60 on STALKER at 1920 resolution.

I don't get why made 4 PCI-Ex16 2.0 slots and if you use 3.. its limited to 8x? Is that a technology ceiling or just lazy cheap controller software on the BIOS?

12. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

its chipset limitations.

pcie works like a highway of cars. you have only a certain amint of lanes for cars to split up between the slots. soe boards can divert lanes between slots when they arent occupied, others may be physically limited by not having the traces and switches.

the mroe expensive stuff tends to have more lanes to play with.

13. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

Hey, thanks for that!
    I'm not exactly a Pro Mainboard guy :p So that's why I've always spent big on Mainboards to get that type of performance.
    Guess I'll be always paying a pretty penny for Mainboards to do the job.

Learn something new everyday.

14. OP
    OP
    Salad Fingers

At the end of the day I still don't understand why we use anything other than 16x; as far as I'm aware you can plug a 1x or 4x card into a 16x slot and it will work.

So I guess these problems would be eliminated by only using 16x slots.

Also, why the fuck we still have PCI slots is beyond me.. I reckon it's retarded.

15. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

have you seen how much crap is on the pcb of a motherboard?

also intel dropped pci on sandy bridge already, which means anyone who does audio mastering or anything audio related is FUCKED. because you NEED PCI sound cards.

16. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

My current WiFi card runs in the PCI slot
    My old sound card ran on PCI slot (X-Fi Elite Pro Gen.I)

They can get those silly ASUS 1x cards and slot into a 16x?
    Im glad I passed on Gen.I SB now, haha. I'll take Gen.II tyvm.

17. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

PCIE by design has too much latency for precise audio creation. the pci slots on sandy bridge boards are all via an intel or idt pcie to pci bridge which still means youre fucked.

18. OP
    OP
    Salad Fingers

Yes, but if there is a will there's is a way... Anyway a 16x PCIe slot is only a tiny bit longer than a PCI slot - not to mention that the PCIe slots are narrower so they are probably the same area anyway.

Why is PCI better for audio? If you need it just keep a couple of older boards just for this reason... Problem solved!