The C64 (and other 8-bit Commodore machines) thread.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by lupin, Nov 8, 2014.

?

What 8-bit Commodore machines do you have in your collection?

1. Commodore KIM-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Commodore PET/CBM

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Commodore CBM-II (B128/B256/128-80/256-80/500/600/610/700)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Commodore MAX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Commodore VIC-20

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  6. Commodore 64 (The older brown fat model known as the "Breadbin")

33 vote(s)
    50.8%
  7. Commodore 64C (The newer beige slim model)

33 vote(s)
    50.8%
  8. Commodore 64GS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Commodore SX-64

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  10. Commodore Educator 64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Commodore 16

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  12. Commodore 116 (Cost-reduced version of the C16 sold only in Europe)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  13. Commodore Plus/4

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  14. Commodore 128

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  15. Commodore 128D

7 vote(s)
    10.8%
  16. Commodore 128DCR (Cost-reduced and bug-corrected version of the C128D)

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  17. Commodore Prototype/Unreleased (C65/C900/LCD/Other)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Commodore Emulator - I don't have real Commodore 8-bit machines anymore :(

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  19. Commodore Emulator - I've never seen/owned real Commodore 8-bit machines, but wish I did!

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  20. Commodore Remake - FPGA or similar modern day implementation

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  21. Commodore Candy - I thought Commodore was a car model...?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I love my C64, out of all my machines this one is by far my favourite.

Done Callan, cheers! The EPROM alone would probably cost me half that price and as you say, it's good to support the licenced product.

2. badmofo

badmofo Member

I have an odd lot of C64 stuff here if anyone's interested in picking it up from 3072.

The C64 is just an empty case with a keyrah in it; this was part of a project of mine from a while ago - more details (and some better photos) here: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1130984

So yes it's painted, but it's proven to be a very hardy finish and I might be biased but I don't reckon I'd know it was painted if I didn't clearly remember doing it. If you wanted to make it a real boy, then I'll throw in a working C64 mainboard too.

The box is in pretty good condition but is from an NTSC machine - I think the boxes were the same world-wide though. And the music maker was NOS up until a little while ago - I used it once. It's complete but I have stuck the music note stickers onto the keys.

I also have a little 14" CRT telly that needs a home - also NOS until I tried it out a little while back. It's obviously a cheapy but works fine and handles a C64 pretty well; perfect for that warm, slightly blurry glow of yesteryear (composite input)

Pickup only and only for members with a track record of attendance in this retro forum.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tv:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

WOW! Super giveaway :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

4. sardines

sardines Member

wow a C64 keyboard.... I will always remember the burning smell of my C64 powerpack when using the keyboard.. It just slotted over the C64 keyboard but for some reason whenever i loaded up the music program my powerpack would overheat... It was really shit music but it was amazing at the time/

5. callan

callan Member

Jim Brain is one of the good guys. He's some interesting products(the zoomfloppy is a must have product), and he is very active in the cbm hacking community. Smart cookie too.: he worked out how to hack the MOS 6500/1 ROM and dump its contents for the Commodore1520 plotter. He's working on new stuff, too.

Callan

6. nimmers

nimmers Member

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

all other muppets will be ignored

got that right

8. badmofo

badmofo Member

"buy my stuff at an outrageous price or get f*cked"

9. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Hey guys. I've been ever so slowly getting a C64 breadbin up and working which is the one linked here (you can see some of the screens it brings up in the listing to get an idea of what it's doing). One of the main suspects is the PLA chip which tonight I've pretty much confirmed after doing up a "frankenstein" EPROM based PLA from the instructions here. While it wouldn't boot all the time (which I suspect is due to the EPROM I used as it was just one I happened to have spare and not purchased for the job), it cleared up a lot of the garbage and I was now getting the familiar two tone blue box just minus the boot text, although one time I did see it pop up for a second. I suspect there are more issues but it's good to be making visible progress.

Anyway to cut a long story short, what's a good alternative PLA to purchase? I'm not fussed on keeping the internals original and I'm kind of favoring a modern replacement for longevity since the original even with a heatsink runs pretty toasty. I contacted the guy who is doing the PLAnkton but the next batch isn't due for 3-4 weeks (plus shipping time) and I'm not sure if it's worth the wait. There is however the MyTec PLAtium which I can grab off eBay now.

Has anyone got any opinions on either?

10. badmofo

badmofo Member

11. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

It sold! My own kit craps on that and even then I don't think it's worth $1000.00.

12. nimmers

nimmers Member

lol... was just a garden variety c64 bundle.

13. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Thanks, I forgot about that one! I think I might end up grabbing that as they have the Competition Pro retro I've been interested in as well. Been looking for an original for my A500 and eventually the C64 when it's up and running but haven't had much luck.

14. Bastard Child

Bastard Child Member

15. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Ok an update on my C64 repair adventure. Ended up getting a MyTec PLAtium off eBay as just my luck when I went to order the SuperPLA it went out of stock! Not to matter, it arrived a couple of weeks ago and installed without a hitch. I am now greeted with this. :)

Click to view full size!

So I went ahead and ordered an SD2IEC V4 and while waiting for it to arrive I went ahead and did some work on the board. I replaced all the caps with Nichicon's except for the 16v 100uF at the bottom right hand side corner near the 3 large caps. Someone forgot to order it when buying all the bits and pieces to do the job...opps! :Paranoid: hehe. I'll get one on my next order I'll do up soon. Along with the caps I also brought some heatsinks and adhesive thermal tape to fit on the CPU and SID as they can get a little warm and I replaced the thermal paste on the VIC with a thermal pad I had spare from a GPU cooler which I figure will provide better contact and heat transfer.

Finally the SD2IEC arrived last week and the fun begins! From the recent acquisitions thread:

Click to view full size!

Man this takes me back! I haven't seen this game for more than 25 years! I never owned a C64 (I had a Plus/4) but my mate did and of the few games I remember playing, this one for some reason stuck in my mind. Just incredible to see it again after all these years.

Anyway, not everything seems to be running smoothly. I was trying a couple of other games and C64 demos which are all on the SD2IEC-Collection you can download from here (so I assume it's all tested) and I've run into a couple of problems. For example with Samantha Fox Strip Poker (lol I know but come on I had too!!! lol :weirdo:), for a few seconds before it starts up I get the standard 2 tone blue C64 blackground but with garbage characters but other than that it seems to run fine. :confused: But then with the Andropolis Instict + Booze C64 demo, it starts loading but then locks up with the screen below. Should I be concerned?

Click to view full size!

So my question is......does anyone have any recommendations on which diagnostics programs to use which are reliable? I tried C64 Diagnostic and I'm not sure I can trust it. It say's the Interrupt is BAD and so is U1 BAD, which strangely is exactly the same as the screenshot on the website. That had me a little suss especially considering running 64 Doctor, it passed every single test with flying colours. :confused: Is this normal for software diagnostics not to be so reliable? Am I better off getting a Diagnostic Cartridge for more accurate results? Or are they essentially the same just a different method of loading? Just like to be sure there are no other issues I need to take care of.

16. psyolent

psyolent Member

c64c repair time

ah .... why would you do such a thing? u10 has another chip piggy backed on top of it! and it literally fell off. needless to say this machine has the BSOD. and thats not blue. black.

[​IMG]

17. badmofo

badmofo Member

Hilarious! I piggybacked my PLA once when diagnosing a black screen and it brought the machine back to life, but I don't recall being tempted to just leave it balancing on there as a final solution :sick:

18. psyolent

psyolent Member

yeah. not a good solution.

the chips are hotter than hell (good name for an album) so have unsoldered them and ordered a couple more 4464s from the UK so will be here in a while.

also got some 18 pin sockets from jaycar so i can socketise them and remove if needed.

19. badmofo

badmofo Member

Does anyone have a suggestion for VIC20 / C64 /C 128 related reading material? Something that strikes a balance b/w human interest and technical would be ideal - I'm currently re-reading "Commodore: A company on the edge" which is pretty good.

I'm going through a C64 phase at the moment - not sure why and infact I don't really understand this strong attraction I have to it. I bought it in the late 90's but only really started to take an interest in it in the last 5 years, and now it's a permanent fixture in my nerd corner.

Having a 1541 Ultimate 2 goes a long way to unlocking the magic - I recently broke out the Datasette but quickly remembered why I never use it :sick:

20. callan

callan Member

If you can track down a copy, The Home Computer Wars, by Michael Tomczyk is a gripping read. I read it back in the 80's and lent it to a friend. 'Nuff said :(

It's out of print but last time I checked MT was updating it for an ebook rerelease. He has some pretty nutty politics these days but his book was a fascinating read on Commodore in the early 80's.

There is some interesting stuff on YT, too. THis is a great talk by Bil Herd HERE (of C128 and C264 series fame.) - and a rather annoying but informative podcast with an interview of Michael Tomczyk.

Callan