The C64 (and other 8-bit Commodore machines) thread.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by lupin, Nov 8, 2014.

?

What 8-bit Commodore machines do you have in your collection?

1. Commodore KIM-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Commodore PET/CBM

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Commodore CBM-II (B128/B256/128-80/256-80/500/600/610/700)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Commodore MAX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Commodore VIC-20

9 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. Commodore 64 (The older brown fat model known as the "Breadbin")

44 vote(s)
    51.2%
  7. Commodore 64C (The newer beige slim model)

40 vote(s)
    46.5%
  8. Commodore 64GS

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. Commodore SX-64

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  10. Commodore Educator 64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Commodore 16

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  12. Commodore 116 (Cost-reduced version of the C16 sold only in Europe)

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  13. Commodore Plus/4

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  14. Commodore 128

8 vote(s)
    9.3%
  15. Commodore 128D

9 vote(s)
    10.5%
  16. Commodore 128DCR (Cost-reduced and bug-corrected version of the C128D)

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  17. Commodore Prototype/Unreleased (C65/C900/LCD/Other)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Commodore Emulator - I don't have real Commodore 8-bit machines anymore :(

13 vote(s)
    15.1%
  19. Commodore Emulator - I've never seen/owned real Commodore 8-bit machines, but wish I did!

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  20. Commodore Remake - FPGA or similar modern day implementation

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  21. Commodore Candy - I thought Commodore was a car model...?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. badmofo

badmofo Member

Thanks Callan! I'll see if I can get my hands on that one.

2. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Looks like Gideon, the maker of the truly awesome 1541 Ultimate, is at it again!

I get up this morning to see this announcement on his FB page and immediately sent an email saying 'SIGN ME UP'!

I'd get one of these to fit to my clear C64 case and keep my C64 breadbin safely tucked away in it's pillowcase for special occasions. Just the addition of a HDMI out and use of a standard PSU are major selling points for me!

What this guy does for the Commodore community is amazing in my opinion, less arrogant than Jens of Individual Computers.

http://1541ultimate.net/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74&catid=9

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  3. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I was just about to post that. :) It looks insane! The biggest feature I love about it is that it has an Ultimate II+ integrated onboard! How friggen awesome is that??!!

4. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Awesome. Have sent an email myself!

5. OP
    OP
    lupin

lupin Member

Im excited just for the fact of decent video.

6. badmofo

badmofo Member

I love that people love the C64 so much that they go to these lengths to keep it alive, what an amazing piece of hardware.

I'm more interested in keeping the original hardware going as much as possible so am hoping that my stash of breadbin boards will get me through, but it's nice to know that things like this exist.

7. aXLe

aXLe Member

I picked up a few C64's recently - most of them with issues. I replaced a few CIA and SID chips but I ran out of spare parts and need at least another couple of CIA's and probably 2 SID's as well.

Ebay prices for parts are getting crazy. I'm chasing either the parts alone, else salvage boards that I can remove them from - does anyone have anything they can spare?

8. breech

breech Member

Was just reading about CIA's today. There are a few varients which should work, try searching for MOS XXXX instead of CIA: https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/CIA
    Possible diode failures: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49416&sid=d69ec5aa04a00d3b90b7630e4190259f
    You never know, Amiga CIA's might be backwards compatible, the pinout is certainly the same: http://myoldcomputer.nl/amiga/boot-selector-a500/

9. badmofo

badmofo Member

10. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Mate, there's nothing wrong with the 6581 SID in my C64, however I use the emulated SID in my 1541UII+ as it's just so much easier to get stereo and uses a standard headphone jack. Honestly, I can't tell the difference unless I emulate the 8580, then sampled sounds become very quiet (which is also the case with real hardware).

The guy that owns that site and makes the hardware is a user at my Amiga user group, he's a top bloke and fully supports his products - You can't go wrong. I use one of his user port WiFi modems in my C64 and I love it.

11. Phido

Phido Member

12. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Argh! The forums software has changed. So far I think it is better but Argh! Change!

Anyway, I have not bought the SID replacement from this link but got a couple on ebay.

Cons:
    • They normally have no analogue in for paddles
    • They sound crisp and hifi compared to original part
    Pros:
    • They sound crisp and hifi compared to original part :)
    • They are a genuine drop in replacement that works well

Mine also chime pleasantly when the machine is turned on. Recommended.

13. Phido

Phido Member

Yay my SD2IEC arrived today from the UK.

And I worked out how to hook up my C64 to my samsung LED/LCD 55". Hopefully the audio return works and I can blast sids out the soundbar.

Now all I need is my joysticks to get delivered (some cheap quickshot VII pads).
    Man is it just me, or are 9 pin joysticks going fully crazy on price, I typed a few well known quality brands and everything thing is $50+ going to $100 for most good stuff.
    The only cheapy ones they have are those atari clone ones that break.

14. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Bear in mind that the old NMOS SIDs are very sensitive to static discharge, the slightest amount of mishandling and that SIDs toast.

15. badmofo

badmofo Member

I might pick one up just to try it out then - I've only gotten in the C64 in the last ~6 years so don't have long standing ideas on how they should sound. I have a couple of the real thing stashed but as mentioned above, they seem to be pretty sensitive chips so won't last forever.

Also mentioned above was joysticks - I've collected a few over the years but a SMS pad can't be beat on the C64 IMHO. Heaps more control and much easier on the hands. Still easy to pick up NOS last I checked too which is nice.

16. Phido

Phido Member

Sega master system pads? Don't they blow up your car chip?

17. badmofo

badmofo Member

Nar - the word on the street is that the SMD pad can do damage if you're using one and mashing the keyboard at the same time but of course there's a device for that: http://www.64hdd.com/64jpx/64jpx.html. You can also mod the controller to make it safe.

SMS are safe right out of the box.

18. Phido

Phido Member

Ebay seems to be flooded with sega megadrive controllers for cheap, 2 for $7 delivered. Maybe I will get some of these and mod them to be c64 safe.

Can't see many SMS pads, they seem pricey.

19. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Super cheap pads can be bad - really bad. I have a 3 dorrar USB SNES clone I bought for my RetroPi and it's close to unusable. The poor accuracy of the D-Pad, the X button that works 2 out of 3 presses and general shittiness makes me inclined to spend the money either on a Retrolink (although the N64 one of those I got was a bit below what I expected) or get an adapter and find genuine controllers. YMMV of course :)

20. Phido

Phido Member

I want something decent, but I don't want to have to spend 50% of my entire budget on controllers.

I've got 2xQuickshot VII controller pads coming any day now. They were like $15 each, in original NOS packaging. While I have low expectations, they are cheap and should offer something fairly tough and simple for my kids to use.
    I've got a quickshot joystick coming, but I know its not great, but is the same one my brother bought new for himself back in the early 90's. Again less than $10 delivered.

There are some Suncom tac2 for reasonable prices on ebay, but US delivery only.

Australian stuff goes for $80-$120 a piece.
    Competition Pros seem to also go for silly money.
    Even Wico sticks seem outragous. US prices are sensible but shipping works out to be 40$ a peice.