The C64 (and other 8-bit Commodore machines) thread.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by lupin, Nov 8, 2014.

?

What 8-bit Commodore machines do you have in your collection?

1. Commodore KIM-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Commodore PET/CBM

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Commodore CBM-II (B128/B256/128-80/256-80/500/600/610/700)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Commodore MAX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Commodore VIC-20

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. Commodore 64 (The older brown fat model known as the "Breadbin")

40 vote(s)
    51.3%
  7. Commodore 64C (The newer beige slim model)

37 vote(s)
    47.4%
  8. Commodore 64GS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Commodore SX-64

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  10. Commodore Educator 64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Commodore 16

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  12. Commodore 116 (Cost-reduced version of the C16 sold only in Europe)

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  13. Commodore Plus/4

5 vote(s)
    6.4%
  14. Commodore 128

8 vote(s)
    10.3%
  15. Commodore 128D

8 vote(s)
    10.3%
  16. Commodore 128DCR (Cost-reduced and bug-corrected version of the C128D)

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  17. Commodore Prototype/Unreleased (C65/C900/LCD/Other)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Commodore Emulator - I don't have real Commodore 8-bit machines anymore :(

13 vote(s)
    16.7%
  19. Commodore Emulator - I've never seen/owned real Commodore 8-bit machines, but wish I did!

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  20. Commodore Remake - FPGA or similar modern day implementation

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  21. Commodore Candy - I thought Commodore was a car model...?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks, so I finally payed for that puppy today, and forwarded the DHL shipping papers. Hopefully here from Belgium.. (well shipping papers are outbound from Luxemburg, so go figure?) pretty soon.

Cant wait to get this very cool piece of CBM history that I cut my sprite making teeth on at school. cant wait to run some of my old programs, just have to find a nice way to hook this puppy up to a hdmi screen

2. Vanne

Vanne Member

Bought a few other things today, A new PSU for the c64 and a wimodem for the c64, for cruising some web bulitin boards... anyone else have one of those? any good? also bought a final cart 3 for my 128D

MUTMAN likes this.
  3. Vanne

Vanne Member

And a kit to protect the inners of my newly arriving 128d from its psu.

[​IMG]

4. cyanpixie

cyanpixie Member

Does anyone know where I can buy some new RAM chips for my Commodore 64? I would prefer somewhere local that I can pick up - QLD - but interstate would be fine. I looked on eBay and was $80 for a set of 8, but saw a replacement board for $80.... which would mean I wouldn't have to do any soldering....

5. Vanne

Vanne Member

My C128D arrives today, just missed it this morning, but got a phone call that DHL will be delivering it this arvo...

YAY!!!!! :D

Might make a seperate thread as ill be opening it up before plugging her in, just to make sure that she's in good nick... and maybe find some goodies inside??? :D

Flamin Joe, cyanpixie and MUTMAN like this.
  6. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Nice one! Remember to hold down the C= key when you power it on. :)

7. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I brought these a little while back. $35 for 10 and he's only in Bundaberg so not that far shipping distance and they arrived fairly quickly. It wasn't for a C64 but the listing does say they are suitable for Early-Mid production C64's.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-x-TI...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol so as I was mucking around with the 128 and came to the conclusion it's needs a new PSU, I thought while all my crap is out, might as well see if my c64 works.. bought it about 10 years ago, and have never got it out of its box.. bought from a bloke in Croydon hills Vic, by the name of Ross...lol... (jiffy dos and exos v3 installed) Haha.. Ross, if your on these pages.. cheers mate.. I finally opened your box of stuff you sent me 10 years ago.. lol :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    matz, Flamin Joe and MUTMAN like this.
  9. cyanpixie

cyanpixie Member

Awesome, thanks for that. I have gotten 8 and are on their way now. :)

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

"Lunark" is an upcoming modern PC game heavily inspired by "Another World" and "Flashback".

Kickstarter funding has met one of the goals, which was to port the game to ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2019/02/thalamus-lunark-announcement-c64-and.html
    https://commodoreformat.wordpress.com/a-c64-version-of-lunark-could-be-coming-thanks-to-thalamus/

Alpha PC footage here, which gives you an idea of what the game is aiming for. No footage yet of C64 stuff. I assume that'll be some months off. But pretty exciting to see yet another high quality game being developed for the C64.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    breech likes this.
  11. badmofo

badmofo Member

I haven't met an emulator yet that I preferred over real hardware but in the name of science I'm going to experiment with a C64 emulator or 2, starting with Combian 64: https://cmaiolino.wordpress.com/

I was all ready to dive in last night with my restored C64 case (which CAESAR generously reunited me with recently), my Keyrah V2, and my Raspberry Pi 2, but much to my surprise Combian turned out to be a 1GB + download so that slowed me down.

Anyone tried Combian 64? From what I understand it aims to simplify the installation of VICE, which sounds like THE emulator to have. My other option being RetroPie, which would allow me to install VICE and more, but I'm only interested in Commodore emulation for now so will keep it simple.

12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

What about hardware emulation ? MiSTer style ?

13. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yes am very interested in that but not ready to dive in because of the cost at this stage - I have the hardware lying around for VICE so will have a play with that first.

I haven't looked into it at all but having a MiSTer sitting in a C64 case + Keyrah strikes me as a cool project - it'd kill dozens of birds with one stone too.

MUTMAN likes this.
  14. Vanne

Vanne Member

Vice is awesome, have used it for years, not sure why combian is a 1gb download though. Vice is tiny.

I just received my ultimate cart and wifi modem for my C64. But yeah starting to lean more to hardware/software emulation as it's just impossible to keep so much actual hardware around.

I'll also be going the Mist-er way soon, waiting for an update to the de10 board.

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I have no sources to cite, but I think you're going to be waiting a long time.

Terasic's website has all of their products. Look at the pricing (and remember to convert from USD):
    https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=13&List=Simple

DE-10 Nano was chosen for price and availability. It's an academic-focused product with a long term development cycle. I'm expecting a few years out of this generation of kit before either Terasic force an upgrade, or MiSTer chooses a different base platform.

MUTMAN and Vanne like this.
  16. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks Elvis, I hear ya mate, that was really just me trying to convince myself to hold off for a bit as were saving up a bit for a house.. lol..

elvis likes this.
  17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

MiSTer isnt cheap for sure.
    Just the DE10 ~$220aud delivered is the big one time hurdle, the rest you can piece together over time ??

18. badmofo

badmofo Member

Oh I'll manage to justify it one day don't you worry :lol:

No progress on the emulation front - production outage at work caused by yours truly so all my trouble shooting energy has been used up :sick:

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I'll fire up "Attack of the Mutant Camels" and play a few rounds for you while you're busy :D

Vanne and elvis like this.
  20. badmofo

badmofo Member

Thanks mate, at least someone is having fun :thumbup:

I grabbed a copy of this the other day - was free at the time but now selling for 1 pound:

https://fusionretrobooks.com/collec...GW4tkLPBvCipnHhhgwfTreXEJKi3qpozz6tmVpPDlnz_k

PDF download which I'm reading via the iOS books app - not a great experience but workable. It's a compilation of articles basically but some interesting stuff in there and nice pics.

MUTMAN likes this.