1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The C64 (and other 8-bit Commodore machines) thread.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by lupin, Nov 8, 2014.

?

What 8-bit Commodore machines do you have in your collection?

1. Commodore KIM-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Commodore PET/CBM

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Commodore CBM-II (B128/B256/128-80/256-80/500/600/610/700)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Commodore MAX

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Commodore VIC-20

9 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. Commodore 64 (The older brown fat model known as the "Breadbin")

44 vote(s)
    51.2%
  7. Commodore 64C (The newer beige slim model)

40 vote(s)
    46.5%
  8. Commodore 64GS

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. Commodore SX-64

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  10. Commodore Educator 64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Commodore 16

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  12. Commodore 116 (Cost-reduced version of the C16 sold only in Europe)

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  13. Commodore Plus/4

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  14. Commodore 128

8 vote(s)
    9.3%
  15. Commodore 128D

9 vote(s)
    10.5%
  16. Commodore 128DCR (Cost-reduced and bug-corrected version of the C128D)

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  17. Commodore Prototype/Unreleased (C65/C900/LCD/Other)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Commodore Emulator - I don't have real Commodore 8-bit machines anymore :(

13 vote(s)
    15.1%
  19. Commodore Emulator - I've never seen/owned real Commodore 8-bit machines, but wish I did!

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  20. Commodore Remake - FPGA or similar modern day implementation

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  21. Commodore Candy - I thought Commodore was a car model...?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

It arrived yesterday, I havent had time to try it out yet, I'll have a play with it soon and let you know :D

Vanne likes this.
  2. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

The PSU in my 1541 is perfect, never given me an issue. I also have an Blue Chip FDD that has an external switchmode power adapter, bloody good drive actually and can take the 1541 JiffyDOS ROM.

3. Vanne

Vanne Member

Let us know how you get on with it. Does it run? :D

4. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Well I feel like an idiot now.. my c64 was working fine i decided to set it up on my LCD tv, somehow I had it plugged in wrong composite was around the wrong way yet i was getting video out with no sound, so stupid me decided to switch the connectors around on the tv while the breadbin was powered, somehow accidentally momentarily plug the video composite lead into a component in port on the telly after that the 8 pin din appears to be dead on my breadbin >_>

I've determined the ram and kernel chips etc are fine since I can blind load a game up but I get no audio or video at all, I'm thinking the damage may be the vic 2 chip, but not absolutely certain.

Pulled it apart, reseated a few of the chips to no avail. It appears this unit had been taken apart before.. havent got any spare parts to rule out which of the pla sid and vic2 are busted..

So cant try out the nunchuk until either my gideon preorder is done or if I replace the vic 2 and pla and happen to get lucky that the problem on my board lies in those chips.

If I get the unit running again I'll ceramic tim bond some heat sinks to it and not plug the fucken thing in wrong ever again

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    JSmithDTV and Vanne like this.
  5. Phido

Phido Member

[​IMG]!!!

qwertylesh likes this.
  6. Vanne

Vanne Member

NOOO!!!!!!

Jesus.. bloody hell....

7. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Vanne likes this.
  8. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Mabye one of you fine folk in melb could test my vic2 and pla for me to help me rule them out

9. Vanne

Vanne Member

10. Vanne

Vanne Member

If you were in Dubai, I'd happily do it for you. Maybe a good excuse for a holiday? :D

MUTMAN and qwertylesh like this.
  11. badmofo

badmofo Member

I'm happy to test 'em if you want to send them to 3072. The PLA in my C64 died shortly after resurrecting it from a 15 year slumber - it's known to be dodgy but easy to replace thankfully. The VIC not so much but I've never experienced a dead one.

qwertylesh likes this.
  12. Vanne

Vanne Member

My C128D lives again!

[​IMG]

You gotta love that!! :) Thanks to a few well known 64ers that helped out and sparked ideas. Appreciate it guys. Thx.

13. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Nice dude. Just waiting for my vic2 and pla shipping back to me to arrive that badmofo kindly tested and confirmed theyre working. After looking at the schematics and some reading im hoping i just borked the sid.

Nothings not socketed on my 64 thankfully

14. Vanne

Vanne Member

The 64 will run without the sid. You getting video now?

15. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Lol not gonna get anything while my vic2 and pla are floating around somewhere in the postal system XD

16. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

This is why I have a spare C64 motherboard of the exact same vintage, just as a backup. It's also the motherboard I had in my C64 as a kid, still runs fine.

17. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

So my c64 is still dead. with help from badmofo ive been able to rule out all the socketed components, they are all considered working. since i dont get video out but the logic chips still work (i can blind load) im leaning toward the likely culprit being the clock crystal https://i.imgur.com/RyAOISX.jpg (silver majiggy at bottom of the image)

symptoms are no video out at all, not even black screen. power led comes on and all the socketed chips are healthy.
    could be ram, could be unsable 5v, but i think since the esd or defect came through the 8 pin din and didnt kill the sid, that its likely some soldered component on the video circuit to have died. apparently the clock crystal is the common culprit for no vid out and dies pretty often.

if anyone knows the spec i should be looking at sourcing for this sort of component, or wheres best to get it from, i.e, digikey?

I believe this is the exact compatible component yeah
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ACT-Ltd...stal-H1-C387-X2-10-pieces-OM1104/390404424462

The confusing part is it seems there's a separate clock and crystal, im not sure if i need to try the clock chip too but its not cheap

In the meantime my Core i64 3D printed kit arrived so once my ultimate 64 ii arrives i can fit it no problem

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  18. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

ordered the replacement crystal, it comes in a ten pack, so if anyone gets no video signal and needs one they can let me know, happy to send spares once they arrive to me. hopefully its the single component that is bad and gets this board running good again. I also ordered an original breadbin box with all manuals and inserts, once i have that my c64'll be complete in box.

Vanne, adz and MUTMAN like this.
  19. Vanne

Vanne Member

i wonder if thats the same crystal as my other 128 needs to be convertted to PAL?
    17.7344 Mhz? if so, ill grab one from you. :D ill also be on the lookout for a 8566R3

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    qwertylesh likes this.
  20. power

power Member

8bit guy was impressed by the c64 mini maxi.

Interesting that they used vic20 molds.

Vanne likes this.