The Cheater's Pavlova.

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by csimpson, Aug 30, 2008.

1. csimpson

csimpson Member

Sure, pavlovas are delicious. Everyone loves them:

[​IMG]

But they are a little time-consuming to make. All that fluffing of delicious egg-whites, baking of meringue...

So that's why you cheat.

Woolworths have fantastically adequate pre-made pavlova bases. With the help of these, all that's needed is cream and fruit in order to mould a masterpiece.

This is what you'll need.

[​IMG]

A pavlova base. They're usually hidden somewhere around the bread section of Woolworths, and come in a variety of sizes. The largest possible one serves 20 and costs ~$16. There aren't that many allocated per store - these are a valuable commodity - so if there's a semi-Australian holiday in the near future expect pavlova bases to be in high demand and short supply.

[​IMG]

Some thickened cream. For the largest pavlova, use 4 cups' worth - around 1 litre. This forms the base from which to decorate the pavlova. Combine every cup of cream with 1/8 cup of caster sugar and 1/16 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste (or 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla essence if you're cheap). Whip until you can see soft peaks start to form, and then spread onto the pavlova base. Don't over-whip or it will curdle and taste weird.

Once you've done that, it's time to add your various seasonal fruits. As well as being a nice decoration, they're somewhat delicious.

[​IMG]

Kiwi fruit. Use sparingly or profusely, it's your choice - but be warned, it's quite tart and tangy.

[​IMG]

Strawberries. Along with other berries strawberries form a fantastic base for decorating the pavlova - they're easy to eat and have a simple taste that won't overpower other fruits.

[​IMG]

Raspberries. If you're working to a budget frozen raspberries are great; they're also easier to cut up if you wish. When chopped they're great to sprinkle on top of the whipped cream base in order to achieve a thick layer of fruit.

[​IMG]

Bananas. They form the integral, structurally-vital limbs of the pavlova - partitioning sections and dividing 'slices'. With a scaffold of banana segments laid out you can ensure each slice of pavlova receives the optimum amount of fruit.

[​IMG]

Passionfruit. Unbeknownst to some, passionfruit doesn't usually grow inside plastic Tupperware containers - it's actually a fruit (as the name belies) that's ugly, wrinkly and boring-coloured. That's why, if you're on a budget, you can buy a can of passionfruit pulp to sidestep the middleman of Nature. Passionfruit's best put on the pavlova completely last; drizzling the seeds and pulp across the other fruit adds another dimension of flavour.

These fruits are all vital to the success of a pavlova. Add other seasonal fruits as you wish - mango is always a crowd favourite - but don't skimp on these necessities.

You should be able to work out what to do with the fruits. If you can't, maybe you should leave it to an adult. In short - slice the kiwis and remove skin, chop the raspberries roughly, slice the raspberries into long segments, peel and slice the bananas into long structural beams, and don't do anything to the passionfruit. It doesn't need your help.

[​IMG]

You will be left with mess. Again, leave this for an adult to clean up - or anyone that isn't you.

The decorating of the pavlova is somewhat personal, and a highly-guarded and secretive process. All that can be divulged is that all these fruits must be arranged artfully on top of the pavlova base in order to create a tasteful and most importantly beautiful dessert.

The best way to store a pavlova is not to store it. Ideally a pavlova is made fresh and brought out to a table of awestruck guests. Sometimes that isn't possible, however, so the next best course of action is to put the pavlova to sleep inside a fridge.

[​IMG]

There's no doubt that constructing a traditional pavlova takes quite some time. Even cheating takes time. But once construction has completed, the end result is an incredibly aesthetically pleasing concoction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click on the second last for a higher resolution photo! :D

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. glasnt

glasnt Member

Wow.

I'm getting a sugar rush just looking at that.

You can arrange fruit well ^_^

3. KAGE05

KAGE05 Member

these pavlova bases are actually better imo than the ones you make yourself ...you know the egg shaped things.

4. kukulkan

kukulkan Member

A pav base is actually incredibly simple to make if you have a few things:

A good kitchen mixer
    Room temp eggs
    The ability to leave your oven alone while it cooks, don't open the damn door!

5. Bambi_1319

Bambi_1319 Member

but they taste soooooo much better when you make them yourself

looks pretty tho

6. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

wot happens if the kiwiifruit topuch? is that countered as ghey?

7. glasnt

glasnt Member

The above post has the following intoxication reading: hammered.

Kiwifruit can touch, its ok. They are from NZ.

8. pugsley

pugsley Member

But if the kiwi fruit and passion fruit touch... Then the sheep are in trouble.

Looks awesome! The brought pav shells are awesome if you dont have the time to do them yourself.

9. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

You forgot the Blueberries csimpson.... it's not a Pav without Blueberries.....

10. OP
    OP
    csimpson

csimpson Member

They were expensive :lol:

11. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

Not to mention out of season right now too!

Nothing better than an all-berry pavlova - Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Blackberries. I also tend to make some Strawberry & Raspberry sauce to drizzle over the top. A bit like this really. Just whizz up some berries with a bit of caster sugar, and I ALWAYS add some alcohol for added kick - usually Brandy for the berries. I usually strain it very well to get out the seeds.

I also do a more tropical themed Pav on a hotter day - Same deal as the berries but go for Mango, Banana, etc. Use Bicardi for the sauce!

If making a sauce is a bit much for you, you could just finely grate some fine dark chocolate over the top. I've also made some toffee sheets and smashed them into big shards and stuck them into each piece at serving for added dramatic effect. All easy stuff to do and adds to the illusion that you should have your own cooking show and swear more than Ramsay.

You are absolutely right, a Pav makes you look like a legend in the kitchen, and is very easy to do. The Woolies bases make it even easier and gives you MORE time to build an edible work of art.

12. pugsley

pugsley Member

My Nan used to grate this mint chocolate over her pavs. It was like green crystal (I cant think of any better way to describe it). When i was going through my superhero stage as a kid i used to pretend i was eating kryptonite and slowly die during dessert. :p

13. Bambi_1319

Bambi_1319 Member

:eek:YUM .

14. DNX

DNX Member

That wasn't the peppermint crisp bar she grated was it?
    I love those bars:)

15. pugsley

pugsley Member

THATS IT!!!!

You sir are a man above men! You have no idea how long i have been trying to figure out what they were called. I used to drink milk through them.

16. svendenhowser

svendenhowser Member

Yeah I agree, pavs are unbelievably simple to make..

egg whites + mix + oven = win!

We always used to make pavs! Generally on a sunday and there was always a rush to get the lick of the bowl :)

We usually just added strawberries (we had a strawberry farm) and canned fruit because we always had it, always worked well!

17. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

When I dress a pavlova I always use tinned mandarin oranges too. They look so nice and they're nice and sweet. In season mango is always another choice.

When I dress a pav after I've put all the fruit on I always drizzle some strawberry ice cream topping over it and it puts a lovely taste to it. I always buy the homebrand topping for this as it's not as thick as Cottee's.

My son made a pav for me to cheer me up the other day and he didn't know that I used ice cream topping. Before adding the cream to the base he spread the base with fruits of the forest jam. He also bought a tin of blackberries which I've never thought of doing and I have to say that the jam really was a nice touch that I shall sometimes use in the future.

18. SyntheticNight

SyntheticNight Member

All I can say is that it was delicious. And I think I did well for my first taste of Pav...

19. OP
    OP
    csimpson

csimpson Member

To my surprise, it even tasted passable a few days afterwards!

Could've done with some fresh fruit though :lol:

20. Demented Freak

Demented Freak Member

I normally find Pavlovas dressed with whipped cream a little too sweet so a great alternative is to use a tub of the thick passion fruit yoghurt you buy in fruit shops and delis. It's still sweet thanks to the meringue but the yoghurt take the edge off it.