The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. Goobers

Goobers Member

Considering its such a big part of people's life im surprised there isn't a thread already where people can share their love for coffee.

Im looking to diversify my Obsession with the tiny brown bean, and I need your help, I hated coffee, couldn't stand the smell or taste only 2 years ago, now I find myself running out of brands at the supermarket to try, and like pokemon, I want to try them all.

my last adventure was a brand called Illy, quite expensive, but nothing I would consider long term as the flavor isn't worth the price tag, I use a sunbeam coffee machine which is loud as hell and sounds like im sitting on the cutting blades of a harvester when I push the 2 cup button, but it serves me well for my coffee hit.

Ive even started to find myself criticizing shop bough coffee now, xD, Maccas Mc cafe coffee needs quite a bit of sugar in it to remove the taste of cigarette butts, but for some reason the coffee from the coollabah cafe's that dot the countries highways tastes even worse.

SO RECOMMEND ME some coffee ploix

onanist likes this.
  2. JohnnoD

JohnnoD Member

Roast your own and start enjoying decent coffee

3. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

Grab a hand or burr grinder, aeropress, plunger or drip filter and then find yourself a local roaster and go from there, this is where your coffee journey will really begin and believe me it will not stop at this. You'll continually be searching for better roasts, more interesting brew methods and verging on spending a lot of $$ on quality grinder and decent espresso machine that will last for a long long time.

If you go down this route be prepared that you will have upgraditis straight away and never be satisfied so it's best to go straight to the top and get a HX or Double boiler machine and a grinder that will last longer than you, if you can't afford it then save until you can as the wait will be worth it in the end.

But I suggest you start by making your coffee journey with freshly roasted and freshly ground and then work your way up the brew methods.

Nothing beats the journey of freshly ground, freshly brewed coffee.

I once hated coffee but now cannot go a day without a freshly made one, it brings me great satisfaction to drink a freshly made coffee instead of instant or stale supermarket beans and badly prepared coffee

Coffeesnobs is where the coffee bible is!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
    onanist likes this.
  4. --B--

--B-- Member

do you guys prefer it black or flat white?

i general drink flat white. ive got an aeropress and must say i havent been blown away by the quality. the fact that it doesnt create the crema doesnt help matters but aside from that i really havent thought the quality is all that much better to the instant i get at work..

yes, i have only been buying pre-ground frmo the supermarket, im assuming this is my major problem?

5. OP
    OP
    Goobers

Goobers Member

Cup of cino all the way, mainly because I like saying tall cap when ordering at cafe's, crema at maccas from the McCafe isnt bad, but naturally there is no consistency from day to day.

I like the coffee I make at home though, no matter what bean, nothing beats a home made cuppa, as for pre ground, personal opinion, its only an issue if its not your grind, if it is then who cares, I cant have it black as I love coffee now, but it still needs milk to balance out the strength for me, as I wasn't a big coffee fan, ill get on to the straight oil soon enough.

6. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

To be fair, there's quite a few threads about coffee lol.

Im reasonably pleased with the cup that im brewing at home these days. I inhereted an espresso machine - which is all good and well, but i dont have a grinder. Thankfully i live around the corner from the central markets here in adelaide and there's a place there called (unimaginatively) the coffee bean shop. Stroll down there on a saturday and have them grind up some fresh for you or just grab some of the freshly ground house blend. I like coffee but frankly i'll be fucked if im dropping hundreds of dollars on a grinder.

Double shot in a decent sized mug, 50/50 espresso/steamed milk, i dunno - what is that a latte?

7. kwax

kwax Member

HI GUYZ!!!! lol

Check out www.coffeesnobs.com.au

plenty of great reviews,techniques,group coffee buys etc and abunch of lovely people. I met up with them once and went on a coffee cafe craw. was very fun. :p

Hope you find a home there.

8. JohnnoD

JohnnoD Member

Grind some beans in the morning, seal them in a bag, drive 10 min to work, plunger the beans, morning chat/brief and then head off.. Too easy

9. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

1st thing I noticed after moving to the Netherlands was the extremely average standard of the Coffee.

In Australia, you have the people happy to drink instant, and the people who shun instant and need a decent espresso.

The good thing is that in Australia in my experience, even from the shittiest cafe, its pretty hard to get a REALLY SHIT coffee, certainly its harder to find something exceptional, but OK coffee is never hard to find.

Holland is the opposite, nobody drinks instant, most places have full auto grind/espresso machines as standard equipment, the problem is mostly that the coffee they make tends to taste like a bag of ass. I usually drink either short black or flat white, flat white over here is usually made with UHT milk, which to me is undrinkable. I'm yet to find anywhere in Amsterdam that makes a truly great flat white/capp :(

The best I get ATM is from my stovetop at home with fresh beans from a local shop combined with farm fresh milk.

10. domsmith

domsmith Member

I buy my coffee from http://www.belaromacoffee.com.au/

I buy the beans and grind mine at home. My regular coffee is this one below its sold in a resealable bag and I buy in small quantities just to make sure the beans stay fresh.

http://store.belaroma.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ITA002V.225

I haven't tried ordering online tho. I stop by the store as they also roast beans from different origins which changes from time to time, so I just pick a different one as my alternate each time i need to buy more.

11. scon

scon Member

I've got a Ranclio de Silvia which is a great full manual coffee machine paired up with a Sunbeam e0480 grinder. Great combo... in Canberra we use Cosmorex coffee and the combo is great. I can make pretty good flat whites but would love to be able to do the coffee "art". Normally it comes out as a squiggle but I'd be keen to hear from anyone who can texture their milk to make it look like a barista made coffee.

12. mevereyn

mevereyn Member

I went with the Lelit, rather than the Rancio, but I've heard that one's basically as good. More or less. Point is, either one won't set you back a fortune (but make sure you have a decent grinder too!) and yet, you can get really damn good coffees out of them. Well, I can vouch for the Lelit, in any case.

The other key thing is, get good beans, freshly roasted (or as close to that as possible). Don't keep roasted beans for too long, though I guess vacuum-packed might be OK. And certainly, only grind what you need for the cup(s) right then and there. Of course, with espresso machines, that's the norm anyway.

And yeah, you really can't go wrong visiting (i.e., joining) coffeesnobs, despite the name. ;) Lots of help and advice there, and special deals on various things. Oh, and other members occasionally sell off their hardware - good, if you want to save a bit.

13. RyHooN

RyHooN Member

As a trained Barista and been working behind a Coffee Machine for 14 years now the big thing to remember about drinking coffee is constancy!! Two people using the same machine can make two very different coffees. The key to solving this is to have the same person make the coffee.

The Bean is the next step if you can afford to but a good burr grinder buy one and grind you own beans and only grind what your going to use for the coffee at that time as ground coffee goes stale 1 hour after grinding!!!

This i beleve is the biggest thing about coffee is the fresh beans. As i saw posted earlyer find a local roaster and buy from them buy a little at first say 100gm lots and try different blends till you find one you like and then enjoy.

Ill call it short as i have to go to work now (to make coffee):D i have a lot more info if you have any questions reply to this post and ill do my best to answer them.

14. power

power Member

Just jumped onboard the home espresso bandwagon and picked up a Sunbeam e0480 and a cheap Breville Espresso machine, using Merlo beans atm but I could try anything, these though have been great (using Private Blend atm).

Goddam though if making your own doesn't make you so judgemental of poor coffee that you buy when you are out and about. Yesterday I had a poor coffee and I could instantly tell what had gone wrong :(

I read around a little before starting and only grind enough for each time I make some, good advice.

15. Darkness Born

Darkness Born Member

for plunger or perc coffee, seven seeds (melbourne) is unbeatable in my opinion...

16. aXis

aXis Member

I've worked my way up to drinking short black / double espresso almost exclusively now, and find that without the milk it's alot easier to notice a bad brew. Unfortunately that happens alot in WA, we rarely have a decently trained person running the machines.

Visiting Melbourne is a real treat as more often than not the baristas have got their shit together, plus they are so much cheaper than WA. MMMM.... espresso!

Suprisingly some of the best coffee's I've had in WA have been at an Illy cafe, and the pre-ground take home packs go OK, but I wouldnt trust them to last very long. They also seem to be a superfine grind.

I go through various phases of grinding my own beans or not, stovetop espresso versus machine, and occasionally have used fresh roasted beans from a mate. All depends on how motivated I am at the time, and what is convenient. Currently I'm living in the country so choices are a bit more limited, supermarket grinds are the go for the time being and I am satisfied enough. Work has a fully auto machine and it does a decent enough job, the espresso is quite drinkable ans satisfies my cravings 5 days a week.

17. amsm

amsm Member

+1 for www.coffeesnobs.com.au

I am slowly working my way through their roasted selection, one kilo at a time. While I haven't found one I don't like yet, there have definitely been some I prefer over others and that I'll buy again for preference, when I run out of new ones to try.

An espresso machine and home roasting are still away in my future. A decent grinder and a quality plunger are fine for me right now.

mmmm...freshly ground coffee...I could go one right about now :thumbup:

18. mevereyn

mevereyn Member

Shit yeah, doesn't it just. :p

Admittedly, I'm in Tassie, so the options are... not many. But anyway, excellent coffee is pretty much down to one cafe now. :mad:

Or, you know, home. :leet: :thumbup:

19. aloysius

aloysius Member

@mevereyn

In Devonport Vice coffee near the mall is quite good, in Launceston http://ritualcoffeetasmania.wordpress.com/
    do cuppings and have a van that is out and about I believe, and IMHO they do superb coffee, its where I get some of my beans from.

I don't get down south much but I would love a suggestion of a reasonable coffee in hobart area as I will be there on friday!

20. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

only +1???

You're selling Andy a bit short there mate :p

I reckon the only one you may not like, is the robusta if you buy it by accident, even i've found it not bad tho, if you know what yo expect