The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    Goobers

Goobers Member

+1 to maccas coffee tonight, its actually quite nice, but only goes further to prove the point that consistency is something McCafe doesn't do well, luckily for me its a maccas just down the road from mine and the lady in the cafe (do maccas cafe workers get called barristers, I dont even) she's usually on when I drop in.

need to find a new grind for the home machine though, almost out of my current stuff and I'm always looking for that bean that suits my tastebuds.

2. karn1911

karn1911 Member

I'm a total noob at coffee but I've been wanting to try Coffee Primero's Kopi Luwak replica.
    Seems like it comes in 4 different types of grinds (Whole Bean, Drip, Espresso, Press.) What are the differences and how can I turn them into beverage with minimal amount of money spend on equipment (which I have zero of.)

3. lithos

lithos Member

Not until they finish law school.

4. Intensity

Intensity Member

Maccas iced coffee go alright, even though it just comes in a shitty little plastic carton thing.

Other than that i love stealing mums caramel lattes. :thumbup:

5. mevereyn

mevereyn Member

I'll keep an eye out for them, if I'm out that way any time soon. :)

Villino's, in Criterion St., would be my pick. But then, could be I'm missing out on another latest, greatest place. Anyway, if you haven't tried the coffee there, it's worth it. Compares well to some of the good Melbourne cafes, I'd say. Even so, it's not a large place; doesn't have tons of seating or whatever - but that's about the worst of it, IMO.

6. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

Villino - They do pourovers now and their trademark is true to them "fresh coffee. made well. consistently." http://www.villinoespresso.com.au/

The Cupping Room - Great machines, great range of single origins, good range of blends on offer but the consistency is not as good as Villino

Yellow Bernard - it's a new one near the corner of murray / collins

Oomph - consistency has gone down hill at the liverpool st for take aways but in house is always made well.

I buy my roasted beans from Villino as they have a great range and found they even roast more consistently than the cupping room. $10 for 250g of quality blends and single origins is quite a fair price compared to $12 and $14 offering of the cupping room who do not put the roast date on their packets so it's quite hard to note down when that roast is at it's prime.

7. whatcudgowrong

whatcudgowrong Member

Also note that competent baristas can be found at unlikely places. The bespectacled Indian guy working the coffee machine on sunday mornings at Krispy Kream in Mascot does excellent coffee.

Yes. I said good coffee at Krispy Kream. :p

8. aXis

aXis Member

Yeah, too true. I would be suprised if a majority of the young people running the coffee machines even drink coffee themselves, and probably couldnt tell the difference between a good espressing or a bad one. If you find someone that is into coffee themselves you might have a better chance.

9. OP
    OP
    Goobers

Goobers Member

Got some more Harris coffee from Coles, seems to be their biggest brand on sale, tastes alright, might make a "how to" coffee video xD, will definitely update the thread with some pictures, they do say 1000 words after all

10. lithos

lithos Member

At the moment I'm drinking the first of my daily 2 pints of drip filter.

I like drip filter. I wish more places sold it. Hell, I preferred Macca's old drip filter to their shitty new espresso. It is much harder to screw up drip filter than it is to screw up espresso.

Espresso's nice, but it's not the be-all, end-all of coffee.

11. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

+1

A few companies i deal with have drip filters mulling away in their board rooms and im very fond of the stuff. Of course its also nice just being able to walk up to it for a refill, cant really stand up in the middle of a meeting and steam a jug of milk :weirdo:

Do yourself a favour and get along to one of the pretentious coffee places that have been discussed and have them grind you up something fresh. You'll notice the difference :thumbup:

12. OP
    OP
    Goobers

Goobers Member

Not with an attitude like that you cant :p

I dont get out much, any chance those pretentious coffee places have a fresh grinding van that can drop by my place xD, living and working at home leaves little time for getting out.

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

Hey, coffee people, I've a question. I've never drunk coffee until recently. I tried a sample from a nespresso lady and thought it was nice, so I ended up buying a (manual) machine and now I drink coffee.

My first packet of coffee was a south american blend from a local continental deli and it was quite nice (don't know how fresh it was). I was driving along the other day and saw a sign for a coffee place that roasts their own beans, so I popped in there and the guy sold me a bag of coffee.

Now here's the thing. The bag I got from the continental deli smelt like "coffee" even before I opened it (it was in cellophane) you could smell that "coffee" smell. The smell of the new coffee isn't really that "coffee" smell, it smells "different". When I went to the shop, the guy took me out the back and showed me bags of coffee and let me smell them, and they didn't really smell like "coffee" to me either, but they hadn't yet been roasted. So, what makes that "coffee" smell? Does the coffee you have smell like "coffee"? Does this make any sense at all? :lol:

14. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

i reckon its the roasting and also the blend of coffee beans.

15. mevereyn

mevereyn Member

It does vary a lot, yeah. :lol:

Some smells like coffee. Some, like an incenerator. Or like ass. Options, oh my.

Even the fucking "terrier" or whatever it's called for whine snobs, probably matters. Feh. :p

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

This isn't a blend, it's just one type by itself. Maybe it's a particular type/origin of beans that has that familiar/standard "coffee" smell?

17. aloysius

aloysius Member

The Etheopian i roasted on weekend smells like Earl Grey Tea. Tastes good though :)

18. SiGO

SiGO Member

Can't imagine there would be much meat on him?

19. scon

scon Member

That'd be terroir ;) and yep, I'd imagine it does make a difference. It's a natural product so the conditions of where you grow it is bound to make a difference (and that's why we have Ethiopian, Columbian, Brazilian beans and they all taste different).

20. StreekG

StreekG Member

I'm a big time coffee lover. I use a Saeco automatic machine here at home and while i'd prefer a manual machine this makes a really nice cup and the crema is usually pretty good.
    On occasion i will buy a kilo of gourmet beans from an online site which a few friends buy from for a nice change.