1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. FFC

FFC Member

Got my Toddy Cold Brew yesterday.

iadorecoffee.com.au gave me 200g of their Columbian single origin too, so I started a brew yesterday afternoon.

Absolutely delicious. So glad I got one, will come in handy for the remainder of summer.

2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

so not here to argue about why a pod machine sucks, i know it does.. BUT my question is, who has a pod machine and can recommend one?

Nespresso vs Aldi machine? Is there really that much difference?

forgot to add, this is for the wife (hence the pod option).. i've cut out coffee

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  3. broccoli

broccoli Member

Well, I have an Electrolux Lavazza a modo mio and it's ok.... I went for it because you can get the pods at the supermarket or Myer or Harvey norman, all over the place

Do you want the milk thingie on it? I looked at the demo lady's stuff at the shop and the one to go for is the delonghi latissima pro. It's bigger than the previous version (or something, it's got "betterness")

I doubt there's much difference in any of them (apart from the milk thingie), they are quite simple, they poke holes in the pod and squirt hot water through it, dump it in a container. Just how much water the attachment holds and how many buttons they've got.

4. ndt

ndt Member

I always thought the Lavazza modo mio things had bigger pods(more coffee grinds) than Nespresso?

5. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I have a Toddy too.

We find after the first brew, top it up with water again, and you'll get a fair bit more of good stuff.

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

Pods don't suck per-say, it comes down to finding a pod that you like the taste of.

Pod's are just *super* expensive ($1-$1.50 per pod vs 7-10g coffee which is roughly 30-35c), and if you like cafe-style Milk in your coffee, they don't really do that.

Find a Pod she likes (or variety more like), choose a machine from there.

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't know... I was talking about the machinery part of the machines.
    Yes, that's my suggestion. Also the availability of them was important to me. At the time, there was only mail order or one nespresso shop in town (there's now another at the shopping centre near me). I don't like having to trek over town to get a normal (to me, staple) everyday item.

They are more expensive, and there's the excessive waste of the cartridges for each shot, but if you don't drink a lot of coffee that may be not so important. Also, it's very quick and easy. I went for a "proper" machine, but I've been lazy and tend just to use the pod machine.... I don't drink much coffee.

I have the Breville milk frothing jug thingie, I can do frothy coffee using that and the pod machine. If you want cafe milk, you can go for a separate frothy thing if the one on the machine isn't up to snuff or you don't want an integrated one.

8. FFC

FFC Member

Might give it a go. Though I imagine it clogs up pretty easily when you top it up?

I've only had one stuck brew, which took forever to help it through by unclogging the filter every 30 seconds.

Still using it weekly, it's just too easy and cheap ($15/week for two people to have a coffee a day each).

9. caspian

caspian Member

from my experience -

Aldi - pretty close to unkillable. survived years of multi person use, far beyond any reasonable duty cycle without failure. the locking lever does need to be held down with a thumb whilst in use lest ye experience "surprises". :shock: I do not like the open bottomed pod bin, but it's a small thing.

only used a Nespresso a few times, no complaints.

10. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Nope, yet to clog.

You get it ground for you? I just ask for it to be ground to suit cold brew and go for it.

It works out very cheap, and pretty damn easy. Good stuff.

11. FFC

FFC Member

Yeah I get it ground for me - quite a coarse ground. From memory their machine scale goes from 4-10, and I get a 7. 4 being very, very fine.

12. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Mm, might be a bit finer than that. Its not too difference to the plunger grind.

13. FFC

FFC Member

With the Toddy I was given free coffee which was plunger ground, and that didn't give me a great yield, maybe 500ml at most because it would clog the filter and I couldn't be bothered sitting there scrapping it away for an hour.

From 1.65l I am getting it filled to roughly 1cm above the top of the Toddy logo on the glass container. I think it may be a step or two coarser than plunger. I'll take a photo when I do another brew on Saturday morning provided the coffee shop is open today.

14. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Mm, that's odd.

We get about 2L, 1L each pass. Approx.

Doesn't clog though.

15. ex4n

ex4n Member

Just discovered this thread, I used to hate coffee and drank exclusively tea or soft drink until a few years ago. I've had a few home coffee machines before, but I bought a Delonghi fully automatic back in November, done 800 cups since... no I don't have a problem. I use fresh beans from a local roaster a few streets away from work (Humble Bee Coffee). Tastes pretty good to me, better than most cafes IMO.

So far factoring in both cost of milk and beans, working out to less than 30c a cup I think.

I've tried other less automatic coffee machines and I've had coffee from pod machines, and this makes the nicest coffee by far. It even turns on automatically at 7am so all i need to do is get up and walk through, attach the milk jug and then press 1 button.

We also have one in the office which cops a lot of abuse and has done nearly 4500 cups and still going good. Anyone else have one of these?

16. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I just discovered Aldi beans... Supposedly roasted in Melb. Who knows when though. 1kg of 'Lazzio medium roast' cost $11.

Ran through the Sylvia and well... They're kinda alright. Not as good as my usual DiBella or local roaster beans but they're $12 for 250g. Taste is 'good enough' that I'll probably run them for a while until the novelty of such cheap but oddly acceptable coffee wears off.

17. Queenie

Queenie Member

Sounds good enough to train with, not to eat.

I'd rather a specialty roast any day, those things are probably done on slavery plantations.

18. .Anon.

.Anon. Member

Went full wanker today and bought a pour-over filter coffee from Market lane @ Queen Victoria Markets. Cannot believe I wasted my time and money justifying possibly the dumbest coffee making process ever invented. Didn't buy their beans out of resentment for their coffee making process, it was a good coffee though, just nothing to justify a standard french-press.

I drink black coffee so I'm quite partial to filter, I find you're more likely to get a nice, temperature regulated brew, Shortstop tends to do nice tasting, well brewed and fresh beans. Meanwhile you're almost guaranteed if you get a burnt one at a busy espresso cafe.

19. clonex

clonex Member

Thats what most finns used to drink, iirc early 90's my parents had their filters sent from back home as the range here was crap/nothing.
    Then Gen Y reached adulthood and coffee went viral with social media and its Barrista coffee at home now with big coffee machines

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'm new to drinking coffee. I didn't like it "before" and only realised I like it now when given a sample at the shops.

Here's the thing, I'm making milk coffees and I'm finding the milk too sickly. What's another way to have it so it's not so "milky". I only like full fat milk, skim milk to me is just coloured water. Can you just dilute the espresso with water and add a bit of milk, like with a cup of tea?

Also, what's the point of cappucino? What's all the milk froth FOR? Doesn't the drink taste the same if you have flat hot milk, latte whizzed milk or half a cup of foam?