The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. mevereyn

mevereyn Member

Exactly. Terrorist - that's what I said. :thumbup:

Nah, it does. I'm a bit of a coffee snob, I'll admit, but only in my own home. I don't hit other people over the head with it. Just myself. Um...

Personally, I'm keen on some of the Southeast Asian beans, curently. Freshly roasted, and ground to spec when needed. Yum. :)

2. zaneus

zaneus Member

The scent does vary between origins. Ive had a coffee that smelled like popcorn when it was ground (cant remember where the coffee came from). Ethiopian coffees tend to smell and taste pretty unusual as with kenyan coffees. On the otherhand brazilian and columbian coffees smell and taste typically like "coffee". Also green beans really do smell completely different to roasted beans, kinda grassy?

3. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Mind sharing the site? Melbourne based?

Been working in Hong Kong for a past 2 years and I have to say trying to find a decent place for coffee is a real challenge. Doesn't help when you've been drinking Melbourne espresso coffee's for the past 8 years :p. So what I did was take a Sunbeam machine and grinder all way to HK and make it myself. At least it's cheaper and taste better than most places I have coffee here :thumbup: . Problem is finding quality beans locally, so I just usually ask friends and family to import me 1-2kg's of quality beans when they visit me.

4. StreekG

StreekG Member

https://www.purecrema.com.au/index.php
    The pure crema blend on there is the most popular. Oh and yes based in Melbourne

5. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

There's also Coffee Snobs who are based in Geelong. There are quite a few members on the forums who buy from them.

6. zaneus

zaneus Member

I can also vouch for coffee snobs. Great roaster, top quality greens and cheap fast postage. Arrived at my door step 700kms away the day after it was roasted every time i ordered. used these beans exclusively at home for about a year until i got a job in a speciality cafe. Not sure about many other Melbourne based roasters that do online deliveries aside from seven seeds and five senses, both of which are great.

7. youngpro

youngpro Member

PID'd Rancilio Silvia here with Rocky Doserless grinder, i went with the preinfusion/steam control auber PID,

[​IMG]

just started to get into roasting my own beans in the last few weeks,

started with some ethiopian ghimbi and yiggacheffre and so far so good, getting a nice city/city+ range fairly consistently, all the green beans are from coffee snobs,

i am just using a $12 popcorn popper from target with a temp probe mounted on the heating column for a bit more consistency..

[​IMG]

8. zaneus

zaneus Member

The silvia is a nice machine. Im kind of sad that i've decided to sell mine, i just never use it (i have a synesso at work :p)

Also, just finished a beautiful Yirgecheffe Aeropress. Big body and a fair bit mroe chocolatey notes in this brew, as opposed to the tones of citrusy floral notes i usually get from yirgs.

17g, ground a bit finer than drip. probably in between drip and espresso.
    90~ degree water, 175mls.

Stirred for 10 seconds, brewed for a further 30 seconds before plunging. Man oh man, if i hadn't already had about a dozen coffees today, id probably make another

9. DraGoN-BoY

DraGoN-BoY Member

Only found this thread here on OCAU :D
    I have been a CoffeSnob member for a while now and used to buy roasted coffee from Andy and it has been ace. Only started roasting my own beans a year ago and find it to be a fun learning experience and recommend people give it a try.

Currently use a I-Coffee roaster from one of the sponsors on CoffeeSnobs.

And the rest of the setup :D

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

10. Anisawrus

Anisawrus Member

we have a large old school cafe type burr grinder, from about the 1950's its italin and works a charm, weighs about 10kg teh bastard is solid cast iron except for teh bowl. we use this with a boema leaver operated cafe coffe macihine from about the same time a bit earlyer maybe 40s cant remember. The coffe we use is sourced from tascafe, we are friends with the owners and buy their recomended :thumbup: usually works out well :thumbup:

plus a feel like a gentleman drinking short blacks out of the machine while listening to jazz, and really that makes it all worth it.

but as a side note the newer cafe machines do make a ritcher crema, although i dolove the steaming hissing noise the machine makes, as well as the warmth coming off teh solid cromed brass, really makes it a nicer experiance than using a woefull soulless macheine, even though they make a better coffee quicker and with less hastel adn need less maintenence :thumbup:

oh well one to their own :thumbup:

11. basyk

basyk Member

Perth

Does anyone know of some good soy milk to use with coffee?

I've heard if you find the right smilk you can actually get it to become quite creamy and delicious.

I tried with Lite Soy Milk (Coles brand) and unfortunately it ended up tasting like liquid dry mushrooms. No joke, mushrooms.

I don't drink milk anymore and just usually have long blacks/espressos/ristrettos, but I did like the texture and taste of Latte's and Cappucinos. If anyone knows of some good Soy Milk brand that is usable to be steamed and frothed with coffee, I'd be greatly appreciated :D !

Thanks

12. Grant

Grant Member

I get good results from Paul's Zymil, it's cows milk but has no lactose (has lactase enzyme added to break down the lactose before it's packaged). Only the fresh stuff though, the UHT version doesn't froth at all in my electric frother (don't know how it'd go in a steamer). Other than that my sister drinks a more expensive brand soy, I don't know the name off-hand but it was packaged in a yellow-brown carton and had far less sugar in it than crap like So Good.

13. alch

alch Member

MISLEADING!

So I see this has nothing to do with tables at all..

14. DraGoN-BoY

DraGoN-BoY Member

Bonsoy is the other expensive one they use.

15. Andrew357

Andrew357 Member

I never bothered with Bonsoy cause it makes a coffee so damn expensive.

16. basyk

basyk Member

So, Vitasoy, Bonsoy or So Good ranges, those soy milks to use with coffee wont leave you with the shitty mushroomy taste?
    Haha

Thanks very much guys for your suggestions and advice, helps a lot :)

17. Andrew357

Andrew357 Member

Mushroomy...?

SoGood (regular/low fat/Barista) + VitaSoy Red has more of a soy taste (nuttiness). If you want one with more of a cow milk taste, VitaSoy Barista (cafe?) blend is probably up your isle. I can't comment on the taste of Bonsoy.

18. DraGoN-BoY

DraGoN-BoY Member

Bonsoy is also a nutty taste.

19. basyk

basyk Member

Hey today just bought some SoGood regular and Bonsoy.

I noticed on the back of the expensive 1L of Bonsoy it had a small recipe on a Soy Latte, so I was reassured with the right choice haha.

I attempted making one latte today with the Bonsoy, my results weren't too pleasing but I believe it was actually my fault. Just asking, is it a lot easier to burn soy milk? I thought I gave it a a strange/bland taste by making the temperature too hot, anyone got any optimal temps? 65C-70C?

Also with the SoGood Regular I spoke to a lady in the supermarket about it, and she said she used it for coffee, but she diluted it with some water due to the fact that it apparently became too creamy for her.
    She might just be nitpicky but it would be good to know if anyone has some experience on this.

Thanks a lot guys ;)

20. Andrew357

Andrew357 Member

SoGood (regular, abbr SGR)isn't nearly as creamy as Vitasoy (especially the red, abbr VSR) in my opinion but has a nuttier taste than VSR and Vitasoy Cafe (abbr VSC, which in contrast is creamier and a milder soy flavour). The old SG range used to be really bad for coffees but in the last 3 years or so they must have changed something cause it's much better than it used to be.

I usually serve soy and regular milks around the 60C mark but make it hotter if requested. My brother is a Soy nut and he likes it hot so I serve his around 65-70 and he hasn't mentioned anything about changes in taste.

For me and temperatures, my rule of thumb is if it is too hot for your hand; game over. By that I mean if the jug is too hot to touch (let alone hold) it's too hot. I should be able to leave my hand on the jug for a couple of seconds. Temperatures however, is very debatable as it is very much determined by the preference of the consumer (that is, if they ask for it anyway) or your local brewhouse.