The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. basyk

basyk Member

Retried the Bonsoy this morning, lower temperature than yesterdays attempt.

Delicious.

One downside is the slight nutty aftertaste you do get when you finish the coffee.

2. Andrew357

Andrew357 Member

Try VSC if you can find it.

3. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I've just jumped into the real world of coffee and thought I'd give this thread a bump.

A few weeks ago my girlfriend and I attended a half day making coffee course. She went because she works in a cafe and I thought I'd attend just out of interest. Bad move for the wallet, good move for good coffee! :p

We have an old cheapie Delonghi lespresso machine that my sister gave to us as she didn't use it. It seemed to make ok coffee with preground beans from the supermarket. Then after the course I decided I wanted better coffee so I got a grinder. A Breville Smart Grinder (BCG800). It's a great grinder and I find that my espresso machine can't handle fine grinds. A good excuse for an upgrade and another excuse is that it has no steam pressure at all. Yesterday I picked up my new, second hand, Rancilio Silvia. :) This machine makes great coffee and texturises milk nicely too.

[​IMG]

If jumping in that far, why not go all the way. I ordered a sample pack of green beans from Coffee Snobs and they arrived last week so yesterday I picked up a popcorn popper from Target. This arvo I had my first roasting session and here are the results...

My first ever roast - Colombian Volcan Galeras Supremo.
    This one I started with 100g of green and roasted for 19 minutes with no crack at all. The yield ended up being 85g. The beans seem to vary in colourI was outside with the popper on my BBQ. I had quite a long extension cord. The outside temperature would be around 15-16 degrees today.
    [​IMG]

My second roast - Colombian Volcan Galeras Supremo
    I decided to add more beans, 120g this time. I went for 16 minutes and didn't have a crack. Yield was 100g. Same conditions as above. The beans vary in colour as above but not as much.
    [​IMG]

My 3rd roast - Peru Ceja del Selva Estate
    I went with different beans this time. It also started to spit rain so I moved into the garage and left the garage door open. I also changed to a shorter extension lead, 1.5m I think. I stayed with 120g of beans and got a crack at 7:33 or so. I got a crack every now and then until 13min and nothing after that. I stopped the roast at 19min. Yield was 95g. The beans seem to be much more consistent in colour.
    [​IMG]

4th roast - Peru Ceja del Selva Estate
    Same beans again, 120g. 1st crack at 7:33 again and a crack every now and then until 12min. Nothing after that and I stopped at 19min. Yield was 95g. Only change was closing the garage door. Again, consistent bean colour.
    [​IMG]

I'll see how they taste in a couple of days. Next weekend I'll have another roast and see if I can improve.

4. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

those pictures look pretty familiar (i'm a CS member myself, there's a few guys on here from CS)

I went through the popper roasting stage myself and ended up with 2 from Aldi and 1 from Kmart, the Kmart one was 1200w and the aldi's were both 1000w, both roasted beans without any issues on a 1.5m extension lead

Sorry but I can't remember what the kmart brand for the poppers are, but they were white with black around the top if that helps

don't think I ever approached even 100g in my poppers and always got to 2nd crack easily

i've got a silvia too, had it going on almost 4 years and love it, can be picky as hell but makes a damn nice cup

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Strangely enough I've never been a coffee fan despite most of the world being addicted to it. I've never hated it as such, just never really been in love with it.

I do like it every now and again around 3 o'clock when the tired's sneak in, nice pick me up :thumbup:

6. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

They would be familiar then. :) One of the guys over there suggested putting the popper in an insulated cooler bag which I'll try next as the low outside temps at this time of year in Melb don't help. I'll probably find the opposite in summer and have roasts too quick! I saw the Sunbeam Cornelius popper at a few stores which was 1050w from memory but I didn't want to spend ~$40 on one yet.

I've just put in an order for some accessories now. GEC 58mm Tamper (what's with the crappy plastic one included with the Silvia?), Milk thermometer, knock box, group head brush, rubber tamp mat and Cafetto cleaner.

7. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

yeah the standard tamper with the silvia is pretty crap, mines been in the drawer since I bought it and never used once (got a pullman when I bought silvia)

surprises me the amount of times I see silvia and even more expensive machines supplied with a POS plastic tamper

8. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I tried my home roasted beans tonight, the Columbian ones. To me they tasted pretty good! I'm looking forward to seeing how the Peru roast tastes. :thumbup:

9. DraGoN-BoY

DraGoN-BoY Member

I got a GEC tamper when I bought my Silvia, I find it wasn't that nice of a finish. After awhile and people raving about the Pullman I bought one in Jarrah, have not looked back. Paired with the Synesso basket it was a perfect match.

10. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

A new tamper for a silvia is a must I can't comment on GEC as I'm a Pullman man myself, I have a deluxe, nexus and barista matched to synesso and VST baskets.

Moving to a better basket may yield better results as well, in the two Silvia's I owned the stock baskets were horrible, A worthy mod to the Silvia is an auber pid but if you do plan to upgrade machines in the future you may be best with just temp surfing it until the next upgrade happens (it usually does :p)

There's nothing better than roasting your own, you might outlive that popper soon and be ordering a behmor or I-coffee roaster, I run with the i-coffee and it's foolproof.

To increase the temps on the popper during the colder months, put it in a deep cardboard box, that should help you get through doing 100g roasts at a good time on the verge of 2c or beyond.

Happy drinking :thumbup:

11. Kitler

Kitler Member

I'm looking for an excellent long black within walking distance of Southern Cross station in Melbourne.
    Any ideas? I'm sick of the mud water that's been sold within the station.

12. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

closest that comes to mind straight away is brother baba budan, they're on little bourke street if i remember correctly

depends on your defenition of 'walking distance'

if you're on an iphone, grab the melbourne coffee review app, that might give you a few more suggestions too

13. killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member

14. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

There is a few coffee threads running around OCAU but this was the freshest one i could find.

I am a retired competition barista and spent 10 years in and around the coffee industry. I used to spend a lot of time over at coffeesnobs until it became a communist regime where you are not allowed to mention anything that does not promote sales from their website. The last straw for me was when i had my sig deleted and was warned by 2mcm(or whatever his name is). He then proceeded to threaten me with a perma-ban if i continued to advertise on their website.
    This was all due to having my Youtube channel in my sig. As i was a Toby's Estate employee at the time, i was using Toby's coffee's and he classed that as advertising.... dick head! lol

Anyway... I am now a coffee grower/processor/grader/roaster and sometimes trader for Australian coffee locally and no longer work for any commercial coffee companies.

If anyone needs any tips, tricks or hints for anything coffee related, just ask :thumbup:

15. Reaper

Reaper Member

Awesome, great timing. :)

I want to know, why is it when I went a "stronger" coffee that the bitterness decreased? I thought it would be the other way around, but I found that weaker coffees had more bitter.

Also, what is the closest I can get to donut king coffee? They won't sell me a bag of beans. :(

16. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

Actually reading through some of the recent posts, i can offer some advice for you guys using poppers to roast.

I still have a few poppers in my house to give away to people interested in home roasting.
    The best popper i have found is the Breville poppers you can still buy at BigW and KMart. They have the highest wattage rating out of all the poppers i tried.

Tricks for improving your popper roasts:

1. Dont use an extension lead or keep it as short as possible if you have no choice.
    2. On a cold day, sit your popper in a cardboard box to prevent the wind from lowering your roast temps.
    3. The next time you have beans on toast, keep the can. Clean it and cut 3 slits in the sides around 1 inch long. This should allow it to be slotted in the top of the popper. It acts as a chimney and will also allow larger roasts.
    4. Pre-heat your popper for 1-2 minutes before tipping your green coffee into it.

The above mentioned tricks should allow for a 1 cup(green) batch to be roasted without loosing any. Depending on the starting weight, you may need to pick up the popper and shake it till the beans agitate them self without your help.

Also... don't be afraid to go dark with your roasts. You'll know you have gone too far if you can see the oils on the surface of you beans. This should only happen post roast if it is a darker roast. Experimenting is key!

"Stronger" is only in the brewing. It might just be a case of you brewing it properly to it's optimal temperature. Hard to say without knowing what coffee it is and how it is being prepared?
    EDIT: Bitterness is usually due to over extracting your coffee or brewing at too high of a temperature.

From memory... DK is owned by the same company as Muffin Break and Jamaica Blue, you could try buying their coffee as they should sell retail coffee.

Otherwise. Find your local roaster and buy whatever it is they sell the most of. This will ensure that it is fresh and that is more important :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2012
  17. broccoli

broccoli Member

oooh, thanks!

I've only just started drinking coffee after previously disliking it. I've got a Sunbeam EM6910 and the em0480 grinder. It came with a dvd of a guy showing you how to do it and I've read the manual. My question is about the pressure gauge on it. It's supposed to go up to a coloured in area, but it usually doesn't. The manual says you might need a finer grind, or fuller basket, but the grinder says espresso should be 12-16 and I just turned it down from 12 to 11. If I really cram it into the basket, I can find it hard to turn the handle and tend to end up with coffee all over the screen thingy. The machine has preset buttons for one or 2 shots or you can do it manually and you are supposed to let it come out until it changes colour. I've been using the preset (you can reprogram it).

Any clues as to what I'm be doing wrong in not getting that pressure gauge thingy going up high enough? Maybe I'm meant to squash it down harder?

18. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

Hey broccoli!
    I used to own the same combination years ago and actually helped them make the changes they implemented into the revision model(likely what you have).
    It sounds like it is not grinding fine enough for the apparent "16" setting?

If you have one of the "free" EM480's, it is likely that it was not callabrated properly from the factory like mine was. Not to worry, just call up Sunbeam and request a few extra shims. The shims are paper thin washers that sit under the bottom burr. Adding these one at a time, you will be able to make the grind size finer for that number setting. It takes about 10 minutes to remove the top bur and add the extra shim.

As for the guage on the front the of the EM6910, i always aimed to have the needle in the higher part of the dark brown section, verging on red.

Question: Are you using the dual wall(bottom) baskets or the ones you can see straight through?

The main thing with this machine is to watch the pour its self and not so much the color. You want it to start off very slow and be flowing like a honey by around the 10 second mark. It should look dark in the beginning. If you want to go by color then let it pour down the edge of the cup. When the color of the crema start to be pushed away by lighter colored crema(blonding) then stop the pour.

Experiment with different dosing and tamping. I am currently doing the under dosed, fine grind with a heavy(gorilla) tamp. This causes the the coffee puck to rise up the the shower head(swelling).

Whatever method you choose, get it down to a repeatable habit. This way you can try making changes knowing exactly what you have done.

Buying or making a set of tamping tools is also a handy thing to have. These are simply a set of different radious half circles used to sweep off the excess grinds from the basket which changes the dose slightly from tool to tool.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  19. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks, 1 is supposed to be the finest and so I've gone lower with the grinding. I've no clue whether it is too coarse for the number (never having had anything to do with coffee, ever). From what I've read since getting my machine, you aren't supposed to have it really fine for espresso.

Usually the needle just stays on the left side, it doesn't really whizz up to the coloured bit.

I'm using the basket said to be the one to use for espresso. It's the double walled ones that are for the store-bought ground coffee isn't it, so I'm using the other (single) one.

The colour/crema blahblahblah all made perfect sense watching the fellow make the coffees on the video. It's only when I'm doing it that it turns to crap :lol:

I think I'm doing it the same each time, but it seems not. :( (it actually tastes ok, even though it's not being done "right")

20. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

Sounds like you just need to go finer on the grind size. 16 is for plunger. 1 would be for Turkish/Greek coffee.
    If i remember... try to dose and tamp so the the silver(metal) part of the tamper just goes under the rim of the basket. Use about the same amount of pressure to tamp as you would to lean against the kitchen bench on one leg... For about $20 you can buy a rubber tamping mat with a 15kg spring inside it that clicks when you have reached the appropriate amount of tamping pressure.

Don't be afraid to go finer on the grind size. You will know when you have gone too far as it will only drip(if at all) from the spout. There are no set rules when it comes to coffee. Make it how you like it, not how other people tell you :) But as always...experiment :thumbup:

Another thing you could try without changing anything else at all is the temperature. I think you can change it to add +2c at the most.

What coffee are you using? Do you know how fresh it is?

EDIT: Yep, your using the right baskets. I never EVER use a single and i found the Sunbeam single baskets to be a bit of a pain in the bum. Doubles all the way even if you do not intend to drink a double as you can always stop it early(ristretto).