The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. Revenge

Revenge Member

Couldn't accurately answer that one for you. I only drink espresso... "as black and bitter as my soul". But I do know that when pulling it of an espresso machine you draw the shot and then add water (properly called an Americano).

That's the stuff... watery, weak as piss and stewing in a pot for ages. Plus generally made with shit beans.
    Horrid... especially as an espresso drinker.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

I'm a new coffee drinker and have read a lot. You can get decent drip filter at home if you do it right, can't you? I can't imagine how a pot of anything kept warm all day could be nice.
    What do they give you at the Starbucks type places? Still drip filter?

3. Revenge

Revenge Member

I have drank coffee in a Starbucks once... I took one sip, binned it. It was really that bad.
    As I drink espresso only, bad coffee can't be hidden behind huge cups of milk and sugary syrups.. which is Starbucks stock in trade.
    Starbucks is to coffee what pack rape is to making love.

Zee, darknebula and phrosty-boi like this.
  4. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I was a massive coffee snob when I flew to the US a few years ago. Ended up at a Diner most days for breakfast and holy shit I fell in love with the diner filter coffee. So much so I bought one for myself when I got back to Australia. You can definitely do it well if you use good beans and don't leave the beans in the hopper overnight on timer.

5. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Technically the difference between an Americano and a Long Black (Lungo) is the order in which you add the espresso and hot water.

For an Americano, draw your espresso into the mug then hot water "on top". For a Long Black you draw the espresso into a separate vessel then pour it over the hot water - thus better preserving the crema. The main thing when making an Americano is not to simply draw the whole beverage through the coffee grinds - doing so will result in a bitter, over-extracted cup of crap.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Urrgh, mass production stuff. Tried it in the US, that was it for me.

7. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Hi All,

Experienced an issue this morning with the Oracle here at work - took a long time to grind then got hardly any volume in the shot and it was way over-extracted. I took the burrs out, cleaned them, etc. But now we've had to adjust the grind knob to the coarsest setting and it's borderline still being too fine - extraction starts around 9-10s and flow is restricted.

No changes occurred overnight, same beans, same everything else. Typically it's very reliable and starts extracting at 7s and makes very nice espresso.

This is the second time this has occurred. About 4 months ago when we moved the until from one kitchen to another we had the same issue - long grind time, too fine, etc.

So we've gone from a 19-21 grind range (initially), through 29-30 after that move 4 months ago and now at 45 (max) and still too fine.

Any ideas on what might be wrong? If the burrs were worn wouldn't the grind be too coarse rather than becoming too fine? When I adjust the grind knob with the hopper removed I don't see any movement up or down - is that normal?

Thanks.

8. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

My wife and daughter just upped my coffee game for Father's Day - they've bought me a Chemex 3 cup vessel. I've been bitching about the french presses I have getting on to the point where there's more and more sludge coming through in the bottom of my cups, and have been deliberating over whether I replace those or try something else.

Quite chuffed, I was leaning towards the Chemex over something like an Aeropress, mainly because I liked the glass over the plastic. It looks pretty awesome in person. Now to find some beans to grind :)

9. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

interesting.. never seen this but i have been looking for a replacement for the aeropress (which I'll take to work)

10. miicah

miicah Member

Isn't a Chemex just a V60 with a nicer caraffe?

11. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Yes, pretty much. it's one full unit instead of sitting on top of the cup, and has a pretty nice aesthetic look to it when sitting on the kitchen counter IMO.

Finally had my first play with it yesterday. It'll take a bit of getting used to, to figure out how much coffee is needed to grind up and such, but the first cup was pretty positive - zero sludge in the bottom of the cup, so that's already a big win.

miicah likes this.
  12. miicah

miicah Member

Going to be making coffee every morning while I'm in Japan, currently torn on whether I should take my Aeropress or my V60.

Also not sure what the rules are for taking coffee over in my luggage?

13. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

I'll be sampling as many of the local coffee shops I can while I'm over there. Though I WILL be disappointed if I'm not served by a Tokyo Ghoul

14. miicah

miicah Member

Same, but I don't think there are any right near our apartment. We will be making breakfast/coffee at home most days so I need something to get me started before I can head out and start hitting some cafes :)

15. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

what manual grinders are people using? Is Porlex the go to? It'll be for an Aeropress

16. Zee

Zee Member

I've got a Hario mini mill, and a Zassenhaus Santiago. The Zassenhaus is built like a tank - love it.

Z...

17. inexistence

inexistence Member

I didn't know there was an OCAU coffee club.

I've been using a Hario hand grinder and Aeropress / V60 for years.

Recently purchased used Gaggia Classic . Rebuilt the boiler, changed rings and put in the Silva wand. Fantastic espresso machine, I'm loving the medium roasted Ethiopian beans I'm extracting out of it. I will be doing the temperate control (PID) mod soon to push my espresso game.

In addition I've also bought a Breville smart grinder. After years of using the Hario, I can confidently say the smart grinder is the best thing I've bought for my daily coffee. I trust I won't have the urge to upgrade to commercial grinder. (ha)

18. SyN

SyN Member

Hi all,
    I know its sacrilegious, but I want to ask if anyone knows where I can still buy nespresso Dulsao. To my dismay it has been discontinued :(

19. Zee

Zee Member

We're opening up a coffee shop in the Philippines with my partner, and it turns out the Slayer distributer is literally within spitting distance from our condo. Coincidence?

We're actually planning on a GS3 (it's a very small cafe - 8-12 seat max), but damn, those Slayer single group machines look good...

Z...

20. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

If it doesn't need to be portable the ROK is a good option. I used a porlex for a couple of years before I got one of these. Quicker, and not as hard work. Sure it's more expensive, but it is a quality bit of gear, looks cool on the bench and I really haven't felt the need to get an electric since getting this.

I just got a V60 for my birthday a few weeks ago and have been really enjoying this as a change to Aeropress. Probably taboo, but I've been adding a dash of cream. A bit more if the beans are getting a bit old.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018