The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Hope you have done your research, seems to be plenty of coffee shops out there.

2. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Nah I doubt it, someone spending $25k+ on equipment alone would not do any market research before starting a business

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wish him all the best of luck in a competitive market.

4. Zee

Zee Member

Not where we are. Not good ones, anyway. I know because I tried them all, and they suck. I wouldn't bother in Manila, lots of good coffee shops there, I can walk to 3 Toby's Estate's, and 5 other solo operations that punch out great shots consistently.

Having said that, if it all goes down hill, I get to have a GS-3 in the kitchen.

Z...

Sanity_Smith likes this.
  5. Zee

Zee Member

It is actually a calculated risk. We're targeting tourists and ex-pats that are looking for good coffee, using quality beans, and this is the important part - real milk. Though it also forms part of a bugger plan which involves a restaurant that is located in a seperate building, but the kitchen door and the cafe are about 10m apart, so the cafe won't make food, but we will offer selected meals from the restaurant. The GF's brother is a chef, and has just finished a one year stint in the US, and we're bringing a style of food that is very different to what is already available.

Anyway, as is always the case in business, it's a calculated risk, and I am prepared to fail (in the same way that a motorcyclist should be prepared to crash), but we're doing everything we can to succeed, including finding a source of good beans, we've got ourselves a great barista, and we're putting in the effort to make sure everything we do is done to the highest standard.

I'm not expecting to make my millions out of it, but I do plan on it making a nice little side income. To help things a tad, I'm also using the restaurant and cafe as a "demo room" for my automation business. I'm still debating whether I'll go with RTI or Savant, but I'm going to put an automation system in to that controls lighting, music, blinds etc (it'll even turn the coffee machine on in the morning before my barista arrives at work if we need to), so it's a place I can take potential clients for a coffee, and show off how the automation can work.

Anyway, at least I'll be able to get a proper coffee when I'm over there now, if nothing else.

Z...

6. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

WeMo switch turns on my machine on and warms the boiler 15 minutes before I wake up every morning, the future is bright

7. Zee

Zee Member

I'm well beyond WeMo, though they are a very cool toy, and I can also control them directly, which is even more fun. I have one for my bedroom heater, and have it set up to make sure I don't leave it on too long and kill the power bill.

Nothing kills the coffee budget like a huge power bill...

Z...

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

JUST a coffee, thanks :D

Good luck with it, hope it goes well.

9. Zee

Zee Member

Thanks, doing our best to make the gamble pay off.

Z...

10. HairyMerkin

HairyMerkin Member

Does anyone own a breville razor tool? If you do, it is possible to get the measurements of it? I'm going to make one out of aluminium!

11. doug81

doug81 Member

My mum just went through setting up a cafe in Saigon (although got shafted by business partner, she at least got her money back - could have been much worse!) They went with a Black Eagle because the partner was obsessed with the machine, but not a single extra coffee was sold from the machine choice anyway. Ultimately I love the slayer machines, but from a business point of view you could over-cap on a pricey machine where you can get a similar enough result from a lower priced one. If it's LM, Synesso or Slayer the coffee is all going to be pretty good - and when you can't get the coffee you need where you are it's all a step up from Starbucks anyway - and having a distributor so close to assist may be valuable in itself :) BTW, am thinking of a similar option in Saigon as well so would love to hear how it all goes for you...

12. Zee

Zee Member

I'll let you know. It's still being renovated right now - the locals are famous (infamous) for not having the right tools, so I am constantly telling them to not do certain parts so I can bring my own tools.

If I didn't tell them to stop, they'd be knocking holes through bricks and concrete with a nail punched through piece of wood, and a crappy hammer. So my cordless rotary hammer drill, bits, and a core hole cutting saw will now be added to my check in... *sigh*

Totally agree with the machine, I've had some of the best shots I've ever tasted from GS3's, so I'm perfectly happy with the choice. I'd rather spend the rest on a better grinder, but still, it's amusing to have the Slayer guys below our apartment - and I wish it was the La Marzocco guys!

Z...

doug81 likes this.
  13. Zee

Zee Member

Our GS3 turned up a couple of days back, the cafe has been open the last 3 weeks (with very little fanfare and no advertising, as we were only doing V60, syphon and cold brew). I'm picking up our new grinder (a Ceado E37S) on the 31st, and, because you always forget to calculate something... I'm now working my arse off trying to figure out what to do with water filtration - with my barista telling me to "use the one they use at our supplier, sir", with me replying

"But that's in a different city, 3 hours away, with a different water source, we need the water tested...".

We'll likely be using delivered water for the first few weeks (thank heavens the new GS3's can run off an internal tank and still do the pre-infusion thing).

Regardless, I'm pretty excited, been slowly setting up an FB page and now just have to work out how to get about 1000 likes quickly (as much as I don't give a shit about FB, it is actually a very effective tool int he Phils, *everyone* uses FB, tot he point where having about 5c on credit on your pre-paid mobile will get you free internet access for 3 months - provided you're only accessing FB).

We're going with a bit of a space theme, because I am into the whole space thing, we're building the Lego Saturn V to display, and working out what other "Instagrammable" stuff we can throw around the place.

We're still working on our beans, but we have a couple of good contacts in Manila now, and we're trialling some blends and singles. Singles will be for manual brew for now, and we're working on a blend with a roaster (the ones that do Slayer) to get our own flavour, that pretty much suits my taste. Turns out I'm reasonably good at picking "good" and "bad" coffee, even by Coffee Snob™ standards.

We're also looking at a few of the local roasters in Baguio itself (which is known for producing coffee, and famous for the whole Civet coffee thing, which is shit for the record, because the digestion process removes all the oils, and you end up with a brew that tastes kinda like mud). I'll be honest, though, have not been particularly impressed with the local roasting, very inconsistent, and if we get serious, we may look into sourcing green beans and buying a small roaster (like a Hot Top) for very small scale roasting.

Funny thing is, my favourite roaster in Sydney (Coffee Alchemy) , is actually owned by a Filipina, and ideally, I'd love to be turning over enough beans to import those beans for our espresso...

Z...

14. Zee

Zee Member

I sent my barista to snoop at the local coffee shops in my absence, and we found the “best” of the locals. They are running a single group Slayer (I had been told there is one in the city, along with one other GS3), and turns out that whilst their coffee is good, it’s not “great”. My GF’s brother said he couldn’t put his finger on it, but something was lacking.

We are thinking it is likely to be the inexperience of the barista, and possible “just a job” mentality. I took great pains to hire a guy who is very knowledgeable, and cares about his craft. Hoping that makes the difference.

I’m picking up our Espresso grinder today, so I’m quite excited. We should be up and running by the weekend in full steam ahead mode, and I can start my advertising campaign.

I’ll post pics for the lulzbunnies when I get back to Baguio. We’re spending NYE in our Manila apartment, though it’s pissing with rain, unusually, so I spent the fireworks money (yup - it’s legal here!) on extra beer.

Z...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    doug81 likes this.
  15. jsp1511

jsp1511 Member

Anyone got one of the waeco minipresso? Was looking to grab an aeropress but stumbled upon thm as an option.

Looking for something I can take camping/holidays and still have a decent coffee.

16. Groff

Groff Member

I've borrowed one to take on a trip and it gives an ok coffee.
    It's bloody hard to press though. I play steel string guitar with .13s so my left hand is pretty strong and I found it an ordeal to get a shot out of it.
    I may have done something wrong? I used it 3 times and gave up.

For camping I use a cup top filter like this http://www.ezicafsolutions.com.au/coffee4one.html it doesn't do shots but is ok.
    Gloria Jeans used to sell them years ago but I can't find them readily available these days. There is a retailer page on that site you may be able to get one from.

17. clonex

clonex Member

If you used only one hand then you were doing it wrong:thumbup:

18. Groff

Groff Member

I favoured one hand.
    Is it normally extremely hard to pump?
    We thought we put too much coffee but it didn't seem to make a difference with less coffee.

19. doug81

doug81 Member

Aeropress is a really good option for camping - quality of the coffee is fantastic, great when paired with a hand grinder, and is very sturdy and light. I've travelled with mine and taken camping also - only problem is everyone you're camping with wants one once you start brewing!

20. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

Don’t forget to get the metal filter which removes the most painful part of travelling with the aero, having enough filter papers.