The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. jsp1511

jsp1511 Member

Ended up ordering myself an aeropress and stainless steel filter from alternative brewing earlier today.

Ended up costing $60 delivered thanks to current sale

2. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, the Aeropress is pretty cool. We even have one in the cafe as an option. Just make sure you have a good grinder - my biggest mistake when I first bought one.

Z...

doug81 likes this.
  3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I considered the obvious question - aeropress vs plunger?

This seems to be a meaningful response;
    https://www.javapresse.com/blogs/aeropress/aeropress-vs-french-press

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

Does anyone know what it costs to buy coffee in Sydney? Just wondering whether it would be cheaper to take a "do-dad" to make my morning fix.

5. tobes

tobes Member

Err $1 from 7-Eleven
    usually ~$4 or < elsewhere

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks, I guess I should have specified good coffee

7. tobes

tobes Member

I find the 7-Eleven stuff unbeatable for that price. But a good coffee is aroun d $4

firey4059 likes this.
  8. broccoli

broccoli Member

They opened up 7-eleven up the road and I've had coffee from there and was able to drink it, it wasn't awful, but I don't think there'd be any in the middle of Sydney and I'm quite partial* to my good coffee at home.

*completely addicted

firey4059 likes this.
  9. tobes

tobes Member

Ha ha same here. But sometimes (e.g. Im about to hop on a train and I need my fix.) I'll grab a 7Eleven coffee

10. Zee

Zee Member

Where in Sydney you gonna be? Highly suggest Gumption or Coffee Alchemy...

Z...

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

Not sure yet, but possibly near Museum station which isn't that far to Gumption. I'll give it a whirl.

12. Zee

Zee Member

Lots of excellent options nearby. Single O, Joe Black, and Mecca Espresso, are also some (of the many) good options...

Hahahaha - my backyard, shame I'm in the Phils right now, I'd give you a quick coffee tour!

Z...

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks, I'll add them to my list of info. A tour would be wasted on me, I've no clue, all I know is whether it tastes good or not. :D There's nothing worse than handing over a lot of money for a cup of revolting swill that you have to chuck out.

firey4059 likes this.
  14. scrantic

scrantic Member

So picked up an Breville Oracle BES980BSS last weekend after sampling a number of coffees from a friends. I was after something very easy to use in my morning rush to replace a POD machine. After a bit of tweaking with the grind I'm a very happy camper pulling some nice shots with decent crema.

Do any other oracle owners have any tips or recomendations for their units?

15. Revenge

Revenge Member

I have exactly the same machine... love it.
    The only tip I can give you is to clean regularly.. especially the end of the steam wand. (not that I use it, but the missus likes her warm, coffee flavoured milkshakes)

16. doug81

doug81 Member

I can recommend Workshop Espresso as well for Sydney - excellent coffee, and a great bacon & egg roll to go with it doesn't hurt!

Zee likes this.
  17. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

We have one at work and it's been awesome, it makes as near to a good store-bought espresso as I've seen in a "home" machine. Mind you for more than $2k (RRP) it should!

Clean it every time it says to, the amount of scale and oily sludge that comes out when you do (I think it triggers the clean me notification every 100 shots) will convince you it needed it :)

Due to using old beans for an extended period ours had to have a pump replaced along with some grinder parts. The beans were so dry they were turning into powder from the grind process and thus even at coarsest grind settings it was too fine and put too much load on the pump. Probably goes without saying but always use fresh beans and clean your grinder as per the recommended intervals.

What is your grind consistency value set to just out of interest?

Also, if you bought new take advantage of the 2 year silver service they offer if you have any problems. The phone staff are very knowledgeable and will run you through factory reset, etc first and then refer you to an authorised repair centre if there's any issues. I was impressed they basically replaced everything pre-failure when they sorted ours out recently without hesitation or charge.

18. Zee

Zee Member

Store bought espresso from old dry powdered beans? I need to learn this magic trick!!!

Z...

19. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Has anyone else tried Pablo and Rusty’s subscription for beans? I’ve been using it for a while, but was wondering if there were any similar alternatives worth trying?

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

Not sure what's similar, but I get my coffee from Yahava and they do subscriptions or just one-offs.

PsydFX likes this.