The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Thank you Broccoli. Any recommendations on the beans / blends?

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Well, it depends what you like. I was getting one sort, then another, and I'm pretty much trying out different ones. They give you samples if you go there, I don't think I've disliked anything I've tried. There's a subscription where they'll just send you a different one each time, or you can look up on the site what each blend has going for it, the blah and the blah. TBH, I don't "get" all the qualities they describe them by to choose by that.
    I started with Romeo No. 5 which is described as "medium+even" (I'd only just started drinking coffee). Then I got espresso, and blackgold, kahava and kwik koffee which I see they describe as "rich+bold". I've liked them all. The one I liked best was just a "one-off" monthly special, unfortunately.

3. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Thanks again. I know it’s all subjective, but with so many options, it’s good to get a starting point. I think I’ll steady with the kwik.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

The Kwik Koffee is what they use if you just order a coffee at the drive-through. (you can get other ones, but that's the main one). I suppose it must be one with a wide appeal/acceptance?
    My main problem with picking ones I like is that you only notice a difference when you swap to a new bag. You don't change from variety to variety at a tasting session when you're at home. All I can really say is that I don't think any of them is horrible, and they all taste good to me.

PsydFX likes this.
  5. scrantic

scrantic Member

Grind has been set to 26-28 depending on bean/freshness of beans. Been measuring my extractions getting between 25-30ml. I've already called as it was asking me to descale/clean after 2 coffees and did a factory reset and all good again.

6. ndt

ndt Member

My old Breville Barista Express(the old one with the sqaure hopper) started playing up last week so picked up a Delonghi EC860M from Myer who current list it online for $349(normally $579) and pretty happy with it so far.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

after being off coffee for over 18m, back on 1 cup per day

8. Revenge

Revenge Member

I don't think I have ever gotten up that high... normally between 19 and 22.

Ran out of places to hide the bodies??

firey4059 likes this.
  9. neopheX

neopheX Member

Anyone got a Rocket Appartamento? I had a Breville Dual boiler (BES 920) and it was absolute garbage! 3 of them shit itself with the final one the boiler burnt out as the pump wasn't putting water in the boiler anymore. Waited 1 month to hear back if they repaired it which they couldn't so I got a refund.

So looking to see if anyone has that specific Rocket coffee machine? Heard a lot of great things about them but mostly on EU/US sites but looking to see if anyone in Aus has anything to say.

10. scrantic

scrantic Member

My brother in law set around 22.

I used Industry & Proud Mary beans both super fresh straight from my regular cafe's delivery I've been consistently getting 25-30ml shots as per brevilles suggested extraction for 30 seconds for a double. I moved it up to 26-28 after speaking with breville support because I didn't think my shots were adequate.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  11. firey4059

firey4059 Member

After three Aldi pod machines (over 10 years approx) and thousands of pods, we just purchased an $89 Anko espresso coffee machine form K-Mart. Like some of you have already expressed, we're not coffee aficionados, but we like a nice coffee at home. We don't froth milk, preferring to simply warm in the microwave, then coffee on top. Buying ground coffee and storing in a good airtight dark container, the 250g packs are only lasting a few days at best. So far we've been through 500g of Aldi ground coffee, 250g Harris premium crema, Vitoria coffee mountain ground and Lavazza ? One thing to share is that not much crema is produced at all, so if that's important to you, maybe this machine isn't for you.

Thanks to all those contributing in this forum for assistance in making what was in the end, an easy decision and the right one!

12. 6thgear

6thgear Member

Jesus milk in the microwave. I am surprised you haven't been run out of the Melbourne area by now with that lifestyle choice.

Zee and firey4059 like this.
  13. Evilhomer

Evilhomer Member

I've had mine since July, great little machine and is world apart from the Breville. (Had a BES870 before this). Produces constant, shot after shot, great quality espresso. Only down side is warm up time is at least 30mins, which can be combated by a wifi plug adaptor.

IMG_20190124_221004_01.jpg

neopheX and firey4059 like this.
  14. Zee

Zee Member

Nice unit - looks like a bottomless portafilter too.

What did that set you back? Is it a dual boiler unit or HX?

I like the look of the Rocket Machines. Once I recover form the GS3 and grinde rpurchase, I’ll likely get myself a Lelit, Rocket or ECM.

Z...

firey4059 likes this.
  15. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Did a descale on the Breville Dual Boiler yesterday. I never got the message to descale from the thing itself but I thought after nearly 3 yr it should be done...

Massive difference! The shots I'd been pulling at ~9bar until the descale now gush through at 4ish bar. Had to dramatically drop the grind and quantity.

firey4059 likes this.
  16. Evilhomer

Evilhomer Member

It's a HX machine, so just a quick flush if it's been sitting for a while and the temperatures of it is right to go. From memory about 2500 with the bottomless portafilter

17. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Anyone tried the electric grinder from Ikea?

18. Zee

Zee Member

How much is it?

I often see Mazzer Super Jolly and Mazzer Mini grinders for sale for $300. I just can't justify buying a cheap grinder when that is an option. Those things are tanks, and you won't find a better in cup result for the money.

Z...

19. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Think it was $20

20. Zee

Zee Member

I wouldn't have much confidence. Likely a blade grinder, which destroys the coffee.

Z...