1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Lads at work get a package every so often. Packing and overall look is very sharp. Great effort.

2. Groff

Groff Member

Just looked at the website - I haven't tried these (I would have remembered by the look of the packaging!!)

I'd be interested in a code please.

3. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

I wouldn't say no to a code, but I wonder if it would be worth buying since I'd only be able to Aeropress it?
    I was given a package of beans as a gift a couple of years ago, I think their OMG STRONGEST COFFEE EVAR BE CAREFUL!!!11! marketing hype is a bit silly, but it made really nice coffee through my Saeco Royal Deluxe.
    Which is now deceased thanks to a kitchen fire ( :upset::upset::upset:), and that leads me to my next question:

I've been using an Aldi Expressi machine that I picked up after the unfortunate life-ruining incident. But that has now developed some kind of seal problem, it won't flow water through the pod properly, drip tray keeps filling up from the inside.
    My best mate wanted to buy me a fancy machine for my 40th this week, but I really like the convenience of pods during my morning rush to get out the door (and I don't want her to spend too much, she's always overly generous but has her own financial commitments) so I requested a simple replacement from Aldi. Turns out that they don't sell them anymore, they only stock the pods... she called around a bunch of stores and there were none available anywhere in NSW.

So I'm seeking recommendations for a good replacement pod machine. Nespresso is an obvious first choice. I've also tried the Vittoria espressotoria (we have one in the kitchen at work), but to be honest I think the Expressi actually made better tasting coffee. All thoughts, musings, discussion would be welcomed, as she wants to go and buy it for me this weekend. Thanks all.

EDIT: Just discovered that Aldi now sells their machines online via https://expressishop.com.au/ so I could go back down that path after all, the price is right for the pods.
    But still keen to hear other people's thoughts and recommendations. Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  4. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

The company i work for sells the aeropress so i am assuming you can with the beans :D

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

I have a lavazza pod machine. I quite like the coffee.

BlueRaven likes this.
  6. Kurgan

Kurgan Member

Speaking from a purely waste/environmental perspective (not taste) I could never get behind the pod machines. They seem a little wasteful to me, but then coffee is not essential for life so it's all wasteful I guess.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Friend of mine says he just tried luwak coffee in Bali, didn't mind it, but the prices were something like $112 per 100ml or something like that.

8. tobes

tobes Member

Mods Feel Free to delete if inappropriate.

A couple of cafe's around me are using Ritual for Coffee ordering. If you use this link you'll get a free $10 credit (split into 2 $5 lots) A few free coffees is always welcome if you ask me.

Also, just got back from a week in San Francisco. Access to decent coffee is getting better but places sure know how to charge. USD4.5 for a coffee at Mazarine. Made me glad work was covering it thats for sure.

9. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

just wondering.. when people drink tea (like black tea Tetleys and the like), do you go

A) 3/4 cup of hot water, and then add 1/4 cup cold milk (just an example, not precise measurements)
    B) 3/4 cup hot milk, and then 1/4 cup of hot water? (again, not to exact scale)
    C) just hot water
    D) just hot milk

10. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Depends on the Tea.

When I was younger I'd just have regular "black" tea with a dash of milk and a sugar. Now days I drink a variety of teas and I've stopped the milk and sugar. Chai is different, depending on the Chai I'll add milk.

11. Groff

Groff Member

Wash your mouth out!! :tongue:

I was going to say I haven't had black tea in years but Crave coffee at Alexandria do a black tea called Rose Grey (must be similar to Earl Grey?) and I just steep it for 5 minutes and that's it.

12. Zee

Zee Member

Same - when I do tea, it's "black", unless it's matcha or chai.

The, the coffee to tea ratio is about a million to one...

Z...

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

I drink tea with milk, but it's about 98% tea and 2% milk (if that, it's just a little bit of milk, you don't put a lot of milk in as in your question)

14. Zee

Zee Member

to be fair, Broc, if I'm having tea, it's very rarely your regular Lipton or Earl Grey - it's usually some form of fancy herbal thing.

Z..

15. broccoli

broccoli Member

oh sure, that's just black, or like chinese tea, you don't put milk in that

16. Zee

Zee Member

Exactly, though I won't say no to a dash of milk in a regular black tea. I do skip sugar, though.

Z...

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

Hey Zee, you do realise I was replying to supersaiyan's question, not your reply to supersaiyan's question?

18. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, but we're all friends here, and just butt in, right? Because, coffee...

Z...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  19. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

the only tea i drink is Jasmine when at yum cha/Chinese restaurants

no other tea or coffee at any other time

people call me weird

20. broccoli

broccoli Member

Well, you aren't weird but you don't belong in the coffee thread, unless you want us to convert you..... :D (I never drank coffee my whole life, until recently.)