The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

It was very freshly roasted when I got it, but the man gave me a big bag and I put some in one of my vacuum canisters. It came from a place I came across that roasts the beans themselves. It is an organic brand from Africa (or somewhere, I can't remember without looking it up). I don't know how well it's kept its freshness vacuum stored in the cupboard. As I said, it still tastes ok, but I'd like to refine it to get it right, if I can. Maybe I'll give the bigger basket a go.
    I'll look into that mat thingy. Thanks for the help.

2. lithos

lithos Member

Bathroom scale does the same job ;).

3. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

Your welcome mate :)
    I have never used vacuum canisters so i am unable to comment on them. I use resealable coffee bags with a 1 way valve. Lets the coffee degas without exposing it to air. If i don't have them i just use sandwich bags with the zip lock on them and squeeze out all the air from the bag.
    Only buy what you can use in 2 weeks. My coffee rarely lasts longer than a week from the time it is roasted till it is all gone.

As mentioned by lithos,
    A bathroom scale is a good way of finding out how close to the 15kg/30lbs mark.

P.S. Report back and let us know how you go with it all?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  4. lithos

lithos Member

Keep meaning to get one of these. The Merlo shop up the road sells 'em, but costly as fuck.

5. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

Thats sweet dude!

I used to have one but i sold it cause i never used it lol. Kind of wish i kept it though :(

6. lithos

lithos Member

Yeah.

Truth is, I'm sick of espresso. I'd never own an espresso machine, because everywhere has espresso.

I use a drip filter (and am running out of Melitta filters for it, dammit, am using Harris ones at the moment), because I like long, smooth cups of coffee. Think beer, rather than spirits.

A syphon wouldn't got astray, either. Only had it once, in Bangkok. But not bad.

7. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

I'm a huge fan of filter coffee. I own an Aeropress and take it with me when i go on holidays along with my hand grinder. I have a preference for medium roasted African coffee's like Ethiopian and Kenyans for it and my French press.
    When i roast for espresso, i prefer central Americans like Columbians and Nicaraguans. Sometimes the odd Indonesian.

A lot of people have been brain washed by big companies into thinking that Robusta coffees are no good but i have a few in my cupboard that rival good Arabicas :thumbup:

8. Reaper

Reaper Member

Yea, I'm still on using supermarket grinds.

I tried the aldi one, african or something I think, they had it labelled as a "medium" and it was weak as and very bitter. Also had almost zero of the cream stuff on it from brewing too.

Before that I was using a harris that was also medium, but was stronger flavour and had a slight bitterness to it.

I'm now using a harris columbian that is one of their ranks off strongest and while drinking, it starts to go towards bitter, but sort of hits a wall and stays just off it.

I'm using a Sunbeam Piccolo machine to make the coffees with. It keeps a more or less same extraction every time and keeps the water just under boiling to specifically not burn the coffee.

9. lithos

lithos Member

Oh, I meant I was using Harris filter papers, not Harris coffee. Frankly, am not a fan of Harris coffee - though the tins are pretty cool.

Actually, right now I'm using Woolworths Organic Medium Roast Peruvian. It's not bad. For $7 bucks a bag, it's pretty good.

It's a bit frustrating, though, that with our obsession with espresso means that nearly every coffee you come across is espresso-roasted; hard to find nice light and medium roasts, at times. It's a bit depressing, sometimes: "We take the finest beans from Kenya, Java, and Colombia...then roast the everloving fuck out of it until all the beans flavour characteristics are unrecognisable and the beans are as black and greasy as oil shale."

10. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Nescafe Blend 43 :) Good shit!
    And I like it strong! :D

But I prefer Percolated coffee. Just havent had any since the machine broke :(

11. Orphan

Orphan Member

I quite like siphon coffee. I had dinner at a place that offered it with desert though it was the much smaller single units using a small flame to heat the water. It was quite interesting watching it happen over a couple minutes right in front of you. As for the flavor, it was very clean - almost like a tea. Compared to filter coffee I found it to have a better overall flavor that was a bit lighter and had less undesirable bitterness. For non milk coffee's it is my favorite. I was never a big fan of straight espresso unless it was affogato style with some real vanilla ice cream.

12. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

RE: Supermarket coffee.

Try your hardest not to buy coffee from a supermarket. The reason for this is because coffee is best used within 1 month of it's roast date. Unless i can find a "roasted on" date, i will never buy it. 99% of supermarket coffee's have a "used by" date on it and that date usually is 1 full year from the time it was roasted.

Reaper, the reason your not getting that color you are expecting is because your coffee is stale :( Find your local artisan roaster or go to the markets and pick up some coffee. Tell them what machine you have and have them grind it to match and you'll be in a whole new world of coffee :thumbup:

lithos , you can get lucky some times and score the Woolworths coffee's soon after they have hit the shelves. I think they put a "roasted on" date rather than a used by but that may have changed. And i assure you, at $7, they are not using the finest of anything lol

You guys may not be aware of this but coffee starts to loose it's aroma and the essential oils(the part you taste) evaporate after just 30 seconds of being ground. 3 hours later, it is stale :(
    Do a little test at home... take a teaspoon of ground coffee and leave it in open air. Come back a couple of hours later and compare it to a fresher lot.

This is a general rule that i stand by... I would rather drink a fresh, high quality, overpriced coffee through a sock than a cheap, low quality, stale coffee through the most expensive espresso machine.

The freshness of the coffee comes before all else!

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

So, today I tried with the 2-cup basket. It's better for pushing the coffee into because it hasn't got that little smaller bit in the bottom. The first one was foul, but I just made another and it was ok (although stronger than I'm used to - not sure how you do the ristretto thing, I did it manually and it looked like the video, changing colour and everything). I reduced the size of the grind again and I pushed down harder. I think I might have been a bit too gentle with my tamping.

It's going to take a while for me to maybe figure this out to get consistently good results, because I only have one (or maybe 2) a day :D Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. At least I've got something to try now. :)

14. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

Ristretto: Pouring a single shot from a double basket. The result is a fuller bodies shot using only the sweetest part of the shot.
    So basically, i load a double basket with roughly 20-21g of coffee and hit the double shot button on my machine. This results in 4 seconds of pre-infusion and about 20 seconds worth of pour before i stop it manually.

Here is another thing you should do.
    Load up a double(or single) shot and have it ready to pour. Take 3 glass shot glasses and pre-heat them with some hot water if they are not warm from being on the cup warmer.
    Load the group handle into the machine and pour a double(or single) shot. Without stopping the pour, after 8-10 seconds of pressing the button, quickly swap to the second shot glass and then do the same again at about the 16-18 second mark and leave the 3rd shot glass till the shot finishes.
    Now try the 3 different shot glasses. Despite having roughly the same amount of time under the spout, they will have different volumes and should have very different colors to both the liquid and the crema.

Shot glass 1: The sweetest part of the shot(dark in color)
    Shot glass 2: Not as sweet but still drinkable(lighter in color)
    Shot glass 3: Almost undrinkable and dirty tasting(almost see through)

Coffee is just alchemy using near carbonized coffee seeds and water so get your potion on :D

15. broccoli

broccoli Member

:Paranoid::confused::eek:
    Maybe I should have gone with the Nespresso machine, after all. :lol:

16. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

Never say that again!

I can feel the pain of people that buy these expensive espresso machines and give up on them. It is mostly due to never being shown how to properly use them but the buyers think it is just them or the machine. Unfortunately, department stores care only about the sale of the item and not at all about how it might be used :(

If you guys need me to make any video's and pop them on Youtube, i am willing to do it for you? I think i might have access to the Sunbeam EM6910 through my brother so i can do a vid on that though he does not have the EM480 grinder to go with it.

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

No, I didn't get suckered in by any sales person, it was the mention of alchemy that freaked me out:lol:. I looked up about it first before I chose it. As I mentioned, there is a video which is quite good, and a pretty good manual. I've been making coffee which I've been able to drink. It isn't coming out foul or anything, it's just that the dial isn't behaving in the way that I believe I'm meant to be achieving.

I was originally going to get the nespresso, but the cost of the coffee and the sole source of supply was a non-starter for me. Then I looked at the fully automatic models but they are a lot more expensive. After I looked at some youtube and figured I could do it and they had my machine on special at a good price, I decided to get it. I can "do it" as directed, but I just need to refine things to get them "right".

I made one today which turned out ok. I think I wasn't putting enough in the basket, or pushing it down hard enough. That may have been contributed to by the shape of the single basket.

18. Bluplet

Bluplet Member

I always order a ristretto when getting my coffee from one of the local roasters, good stuff!

Brew my stuff at home with a stove-top Bialetti Brikka moka pot, though I've had my eye on this for a while. Haven't got room for a machine so it looks like it'll do!

19. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Have you guys ever tried Turkish Coffee :D

I had some while I was doing Year 12. And it knocks you on your ass!

Now I love strong coffee....But....Thats like.....Yeah :D

20. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

I love Turkish coffee. I don't personally own an ibrik but when we have our coffee snobs nights at the local roastery, we always knock out a few batches of Turkish coffee's.

Turkish and Greek brewed coffee uses a lightly roasted robusta. Thats why is knocks people about because robusta containd double the caffeine content(roughly) than Arabica. Add to that, that fact that it is brewed for twice the length of time and you have almost 4 x the caffeine content for the same amount of coffee :thumbup: