The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

The Iced Long Black tastes weak IMO and I ain't that much of a coffee person. The Iced Latte is a slight improvement with a tough of milk taste but still not as good as a locally produced coffees.

2. neopheX

neopheX Member

Got a new toy a couple of weeks ago! Brand new Bezzera Mitica TOP. Bloody beautiful machine just waiting for a white Eureka Atom 64mm Grinder to become available so I can ditch my old grinder :thumbup:

Got a proper water filtration system installed under the sink too, will get her plumbed in when the new fridge comes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

killer coffee co. will be doing a 20% off for orders over $40 from 7pm AEDT tonight.

303-Acid likes this.
  4. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

For anyone that wants to try Cold Brew Coffee, Manna Beans has reduced the price of their machines from $139.95 to $50 plus shipping which includes some beans as well. https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/499205

5. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I bought some of their coffee, made a cup and ended up giving the beans away, just tasted like crap to me, like it had been filtered through an ashtray. Clearly not my cup of tea coffee!

Back to my Coffee Snobs 'Brazil Premium Bourbon' and I'm happy again.

6. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Depends on what beans you buy. Like all Coffee places they have lots of varieties of coffee, just like coffee snobs do.

7. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Your point is well taken, everyone has different tastes. I will add that I've tried a range of different beans over the years and while I like some better than others there has only been a handful of times I've come across something I just couldn't drink. Costco beans and the two from Killer Coffee Co.

On Killer Coffee Co, don't they just have the two types?
    https://killercoffeeco.com.au/product/killer-coffee-challenge-pack/

8. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

So true, if we've bought beans we don't like I give or throw them away, just can't tolerate them.

9. miicah

miicah Member

Update on this ALDI how has a Honduras blend, which is actually quite good! Still doesn't hold up vs a proper roaster but it is good in a pinch. Haven't tried it in a pourover or aeropress, but I assume it would be too dark for those anyway.

10. alexb618

alexb618 Member

thought id posted in this thread but in almost 20 years of making proper coffee i have worked out that any beans are fine for white coffee, just have to get a decent milk. ive used every possible bean out there, from $50 for 250g exotic stuff to the cheapest of the cheap. currently using the coles brand $12/kg beans, and pauls smart milk. good combination for everyday coffee, way better than any of the coffee shops i am near on my daily routine. people come over and have a coffee and always ask what beans i am using, they are always very impressed by the coles beans. mind you i dont drink black coffee nor do i know anyone who does so ymmv.

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

There is a difference between "acceptable/drinkable" and "ooooooh, yummm, this is goooood, give me moarrrrr". As long as you haven't buggered it up so it's sour or bitter or something yucky, I've also found all of the ones I've had acceptable.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Geez that sucker can't have been cheap. love the background lighting.

13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

For those who are interested, Killer Coffee Co. is having a Black Friday sale - 15% off storewide and 25% off orders over $100.

sale ends on Monday.

14. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

With all the baby paraphernalia we have now my Breville Dual Boiler was taking up a bit too much space on the countertop so I figured I'd give the old Rancilio Silvia a hose off and see if I can stand temp surfing on it again.

Ordered the jet black espresso service kit and swapped over the group seals and new shower screen. I'll only pull the steam valve apart if it needs it I think. Steam valve was stuck so had to loosen with a shifter. Went to prime and I think something is wrong... Steam comes out but not a nice steady stream of water. I think maybe getting the water to the boiler took a bit longer than usual and it got hotter than it should with a regular prime. Have turned off and hopefully can properly prime again when cold. It has been sitting untouched for almost 4 years now so I'm not surprised it's having a few issues.

15. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Just purchased a Breville coffee machine (BES870BSS)

Figure it will pay for itself in a few months so why not. Hopefully that means I can get my favourite beans and have that each day (cafe is across town and I rarely get there)
    The only coffee machines I'ver had prior to this was the aldi one and I wanted to steer away from pod systems.

16. krappo

krappo Member

My little setup....................

[​IMG]

17. Zee

Zee Member

SO, with our small city of Baguio shutting down, nd our coffee shop along with it, I deicded it was a great time to bring the GS3 MP, and the Ceado E37S home. Along with the 3 odd kg of our house blend. Guess it is a good time to master my latte art!

NICE!!! that is a sweet home set up. The Atom is a great grinder, I'm looking at grabbing one to replace our Mazzer Mini E as a second grinder/single origin grinder. The Mazzer then will be relegated to back up duties.

The worm drive of the Atom is awesome for getting the grind right. The Mazzer lever is a bitch very soon after cleaning.

And from there it starts. Pretty much where I started at home. Learn to temp surf it for best results.

Z..

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    krappo likes this.
  18. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

Tired it and its much too sweet for my taste. I wish they made a zero sugar variety.

19. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

I've got an almost identical setup to you myself, except red knock box, doserless and it's over 10 years old

Silvia and Rocky combo is bulletproof and still good value as far as longevity goes

krappo likes this.
  20. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

my company will still be shipping online orders during the lockdown.

Zee likes this.