The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. Zee

Zee Member

That's the one! My mate in Sydney that I originally had my Acaia scales delivered to has one exactly like that, and it was just as accurate (the calibrated 100g weight weighed exactly... 100g!), and almost as fast. Seriously, for home use, unless you're truly in love with a more expensive scale - pick up a one (or two) of these and be happy.

They may lack a couple of espresso specific functions, but for the money, they just can't be beaten. Once our new house is finished, I'll be grabbing one of these to go along with the Brewista for the home coffee bar.

Yup, a classic case of something seriously punching above its weight. As I said, it's nearly as responsive, and just as accurate as our Pearl and Lunar. Well worth the twenty odd bucks.

Z...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    BlueRaven likes this.
  2. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

This was kind of my point but to each their own as far as what people drink.

I could never go back to drinking pod coffee now. The effort to make an aeropress (or espresso) is insignificant when the quality of the coffee is infinitely better.

BlueRaven likes this.
  3. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

I like having full control of what beans/dose I use in the AP, but a pod machine is a lot more convenient when you have more than one coffee to make.
    Not that this is much of an issue right at the moment. :(

4. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

Convenient sure. Delicious? I think not! Beatuiful? Not as much as this...

armers and BlueRaven like this.
  5. Sledge

Sledge Member

6. josh1990

josh1990 Member

I use Aldi Brazil as my daily driver. Downside is can only get for a portion of the year. Then we do Lazzio dark. Yeah not the greatest, but either for under $15/kg absolutely cannot be beat. Coming from ex-Cafe owners

BlueRaven and Sledge like this.
  7. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

my wife also uses Aldi beans (partly for convenience, as there's one close by) and is happy with them

she used to run a mobile cafe too

BlueRaven and Sledge like this.
  8. BlueRaven

Yeah, a third upvote for Lazzio Dark Roast as an affordable daily driver here too.
    If I happen to be in Woolies for something specific and I notice Vittoria or Lavazza on sale I'll grab a bag (get it at half-off if you're lucky!).
    And I sometimes buy a "special bag" to keep in the freezer if I happen to be in the vicinity of one of the roasters that I like e.g. Witham's Coffee in Hornsby or Allpress in Alexandria.
    Otherwise, the Aldi beans are fine at the cost for the daily cuppa.

Sledge likes this.
  9. tobes

tobes Member

Pretty much same here. Daily Driver is whatever is half off at the supermarket or the name brand.
    Occasional grabbing a nice bag from a roaster

BlueRaven likes this.
  10. BlueRaven

Id love to take advantage of all the specials on boutique beans that are posted in here and elsewhere around the web whenever they pop up.
    But it's hard to argue with $12-$15/kg for daily use in the current economic situation.

~$40/kg is a bit of a treat every now and then, and will be spun out in batches so I can enjoy it over a decent length of time.

~$60/kg level of expenditure is reserved for special cheeses, seafoods, and biltong. :)

Zee likes this.
  11. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

There are always specials on ozbargain for $25-$30kg posted.

miicah, Zee and BlueRaven like this.
  12. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I'm a Coles beans guy usually. But have quite enjoyed the roaster sales the past year and a half. Inglewood has been a fave. The recent Sensory Lab beans have arrived, a bit of a different taste, fruity.

Zee and tobes like this.
  13. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

I've just had notification that my order from Inglewood will be arriving tomorrow. Currently using Airjo Enterprise.

14. BlueRaven

15. Hater

Hater Member

aldi brasil is ok but aldi peru is vile.

that review site is pretty funny.

especially like the one from the guy who goes in and out about his process and how the beans are great.... then uses the word "expresso"

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  16. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Yep, that's them. Roosevelt and Sunset Blvd are both good. I usually get 500g of each when they have sales.

BlueRaven likes this.
  17. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Oops! Mine wasn't from Inglewood.

We've just bought a kg from Lime Blue Coffee https://limebluecoffee.com/ we bought 1kg of Moments to Memories for $26.18 posted. Haven't tried it yet as we're still using the Airjo Enterprise

BlueRaven likes this.
  18. caspian

caspian Member

can't forget prosciutto and waygu!

if you do feel like a treat, try this: https://www.tealeaves.com.au/blue-mountain I'm a fan, drunk as a long black.

BlueRaven likes this.
  19. Zee

Zee Member

Generally, I'd suggest getting beans direct from roasters if possible and economically viable. Prices can vary wildly, but ~$20-$25/kg for a good roast is a very respectable price. If you can find good beans for less than that, then you're doing really well.

Some of the shop bought beans can do pretty well, but they're never going to match a good roaster in potential.

Beans hit their peak about 2 weeks from the date of roasting, and slowly fall off. About the 4 week mark is when you want to be grinding the last few beans of your purchase, as they start to lose their flavours after that. 6 weeks is the absolute longest I'll let beans go before they get relegated to practice or beans to use for some sort of display.

Knowing your daily drinking habits should help calculate the total weight of beans one needs/month. Fortunately, I'm a heavy drinker (2-3 doubles/day at 22g per double), so it is pretty easy to work out a 2 - 4 weekly purchase cycle to keep my beans in that 2 week golden window (1.25kg/fortnight in my case, because the little lady also drink 1 cup a day).

Of course, if you're not drinking as much coffee, and at lower doses, it can get tricky, but it certainly helps when there is a good roaster with reasonable pricing within walking distance.

Don't blame you!
    If you ever do get the inkling for the odd $50/kg bean, try St. Ali or Coffee Alchemy. My absolute favourite roasts ever.

Z...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    BlueRaven likes this.
  20. BlueRaven

Great tips and recommendations for beans-by-post, thanks all. Spoilt for choice in that sweet spot price range now.
    Witham's is my local fave as mentioned before, and a visit to their site for the link informed me that they now do free local delivery within 10km of the Hornsby area... :)

Mild chuckle courtesy of me Mum (nothing against tea-drinkers of course):
    morning coffee.jpg

Haha, should have added "charcuterie, A-grade steak", definitely.
    Thanks for the tip. I usually go South American for the special bag, would be good to try some Papua.

Stashed away for a future "top shelf" purchase, cheers.

How long have you owned the coffee shop (if you don't mind me asking)?
    Are you out of AV altogether now? Couldn't blame you if so. ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021