The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Anywhere with online ordering you might be able to recommend? I haven't found anything I'm pleased with in that range in Adelaide... there's several specialty mobs doing good stuff in the $50-60/kg range but one can only buy so much of that.

2. caspian

caspian Member

coffeesnobs are about $38/kg.

3. KriiV

KriiV Member

I mentioned Aldi coffee a while back. Aldi Peru has been great in the AP.

I love Aldi Peru... Curious how you tried it? I've found I needed to dose higher, always in an AP and has been great. Really sweet and rich.

BlueRaven likes this.
  4. Zee

Zee Member

I'' have a look through some of my old emails - I remember one particular company pretty good deals on various beans ever so often.

There was one roastery in Penrith, of all places, that did good stuff for about $25/kg, but they got bought out a while ago, and apparently, have gone downhill.

Z...

5. Hater

Hater Member

18g in and ~58ml out

tastes like bark and old

6. Zee

Zee Member

That ratio seems a little off... Are you using an Aeropress?

On a side note, there is a Brewista temperature adjustable kettle thing we use for manual brews, not stupidly expensive (ours was about $80, from memory), and it is a great way to keep your water temp consistent. Don't just pour water that has just come off the boil, it should be between about 90ºC-94ºC (which will vary depending on bean, roast etc).

You're also looking to start at a ratio of about 1:10. So 18g in should be about 180ml out. You can play with that, of course, that is a baseline, not a hard rule, but never, ever, make more than one change at a time, otherwise, you'll have no clue which change had what affect. ie - only change your dose, or your temp, or your grind size - not all at once.

I've been known to spend several hours, and an epic frack-ton of coffee just tweaking the grind to try and get the best out of our beans at the shop. Once this COVID crap is over, and we can actually start getting tourists in our city again (and thus, customers), I'm going to cough up for a new grinder with a worm drive grind adjuster, for that extra precision that only being truly anal retentive can require!

Z...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  7. Hater

Hater Member

no i use a machine, always have. i don't understand all these billion of gadgets.

grounds in, coffee out. is good.

peru sucks, im not going to spend 18 hours working out why when i can just buy other much more enjoyable beans, y'know?

obvs i don't own a shop do its not as important to me... i'd have to tweak the grind all over again blah blah blah

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  8. Zee

Zee Member

Espresso machine? There's your problem - should be 36grams out in about 30 seconds. Not saying the Peru is good, bad or other, just that you should be getting 2:1 from a machine in ~30 seconds.

Z...

Groff, miicah and Sledge like this.
  9. Hater

Hater Member

i just aim for 60ml and as much coffee as i can fit in the portafilter without choking it

most stuff with a bit of experimentation with grind works well

10. Sledge

Sledge Member

You're doing it wrong.. watch some YouTube videos about 'dialing in coffee'

As Zee said it should be 18g in and 36g out in 25-30sec

11. Zee

Zee Member

It's too much.

As an experiment, try catch your coffee in roughly 15ml quarters in shot glasses. Then, test each one. The 3rd and 4th part will taste like crap - like a really crappy earthy instant.

Z...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Groff likes this.
  12. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

Espresso is not a fixed ratio.
    Sure 1:2 might be the "standard" but there are plenty of people (and roasters) recommending 1:3 which is much closer to 60g than 36g.

It does sound like something he needs to tweak some things to get nicer shots from those beans but forcing a 1:2 is not necessarily the answer.

Groff, Zee and Sledge like this.
  13. Sledge

Sledge Member

Of course...
    It's just a starting point and depends on beans, personal preference, type of drink being made, type of machine being used.. etc etc
    Which is why I said to watch a few videos for the full picture...

Zee likes this.
  14. Hater

Hater Member

I came to this conclusion after many months of many coffees, but I’m more than happy to admit that no I’m not a barista and as always am happy to take tips and learn/hone my skills, so let’s try this

now, this is a brand new bag of beans. As fresh as supermarket beans can get, just opened… probably been in a warehouse for 18 weeks but whatever. Yes, Woolworths beans and not Aldi ones but we’re locked down so I can’t get to Aldi right now. Also can’t get to my normal cafe to get my favourite beans, oh well. I pulled a few test shots to try get the grind right but as always could be tweaked better, either way meh I’m rambling.

Tasting notes from the roaster (manufacturer?)

[​IMG]

I don’t have any shot glasses here, just a random assortment of keep cups/karma cups/whatever BS advertising cups that work gets given and I take home then forget to return:

[​IMG]

I initially measured out 15g of water (15ml) and marked it as well but gave up as my scales are shit and swapping cups half way through the extraction process won’t be a perfect line up with 15ml anyway, so I eyeballed it.

[​IMG]

approx 17g (shit scales) in a 14g VST basket, like normal for me.

[​IMG]

All up this was (approx) a 33 second extraction. I need another person to help time/photo/swap cups if I want to be more accurate.

I only had a photo of the first cup because so many cups and not enough hands

Aaaaand we’re done

[​IMG]

Check out the colour differences

[​IMG]

Here’s a photo of each. I think B and C look the best. I think that’s to be expected?

A:
    [​IMG]

B:
    [​IMG]

C:
    [​IMG]

D:
    [​IMG]

So, with that in mind I smelt, tasted each one and here are the notes I wrote down:

A: Sour. Overwhelmingly sour, a bit sweet to finish

B: A lot of body, dark chocolate, much nicer? (something I can’t read now)

C: Extremely smooth, cleaner, less rich, grape flavours

D: watery, subtle grape/blackcurrent, weak

So that’s that.

for funzies I made the next shot at ~60g (same grind) but I discarded the first 10 - 15g, much smoother and flavourful than the test shots I pulled when playing with the grind. Maybe I’ll try choking it up a bit or something with a finer grind and see how it goes

BlueRaven, bYrd and Zee like this.
  15. Zee

Zee Member

I've honestly never seen a roaster suggest 3:1. 1.5:1, yes... Not saying that that is not a thing, but I've never seen it. Though I did say to start with 2:1, and go from there.

Any coffee I've tasted going much beyond 2:1 has tasted worse, than 2:1 (so far - not saying such a roast doesn't exist, but I find it unlikely to come from Aldi), but a few have tasted better at about 1:5:1.

Z...

Sledge likes this.
  16. Sledge

Sledge Member

just got new beans, and there's a HUGE difference in grind setting to get them right...
    over 1 full adjustment number in difference...

Zee likes this.
  17. Zee

Zee Member

I'm impressed that you did this!

That should be telling you that you want the first 3/4 of your shot. The first ~22 ml (for me from a 22gm dose) is a ristretto - normally being sour/sweet with a touch of whatever notes the coffee has, the next 22ml adds more notes, and some bitterness, and the shot is stopped there.

You've got a pretty good idea how to get the best out of what you're using, the way you're using it. Consistency is key - hopefully you'll be able to put this to use and get the best out of your beans.

BTW - that looks like Silvia - they are a decent machine. Do you temperature surf it, by chance?

During typhoon season, it is not unusual to go a whole digit in a day with the same been. The pressure changes can be insane. We've had 4 pass by within the last month or so, and it can be a mission keeping it in the sweet spot.

Z...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    BlueRaven and Sledge like this.
  18. Hater

Hater Member

Yeah it’s 34 to 40 seconds after boiler off to hit 91C. It has an aftermarket 95C thermal cut off switch rather than the stock 98. The boiler has an insulating blanket on it too… this is a dark roast so maybe I’ll hit it a bit earlier/hotter, I’m bored in lockdown so why not

this morning I cut it down a bit, this is 18g in and 40g (I’ll call it 40ml but probs slightly less cause specific gravity of espresso) out

Flow path was a bit weird so I think that’s why it tasted… not worse, but not better either

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think decent scales would help me a bit.

BlueRaven and Zee like this.
  19. Zee

Zee Member

Try the one shown in this thread. They are dirt cheap and punch well above their weight. Not water proof, so gotta kinda watch that, but otherwise, good and cheap.

Z...

20. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I slightly unhelpfully didn't mention there how to find them, but honestly there's no trick - just searching for "0.1g scale" on Amazon/eBay/Ali will turn them up.

Noticed your link is borked: https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/18965427/

Zee and BlueRaven like this.