The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. Sledge

Sledge Member

Zee likes this.
  2. Zee

Zee Member

That's a good price for a dosing cup.

I got a fairly nice one for $20 on sale, but I've not seen them go for that price since. Luckily, I bought two.

Z...

3. Groff

Groff Member

Good stuff with the testing!

Don't throw out the first bit, that's the best. If it's sour, your grind is too coarse.

Sounds like the grind is too coarse.

Watch your dosing as your machine doesn't like overdosing.
    Re: dose. Try the 5 cent piece trick...
    If it's a 14gm basket try 14gm and tamp and place a 5c piece on the top and put the portafilter in the machine as you would then take it out.
    If there is not an impression of the coun in the coffee put another gram in, mix and retamp and keep doing that until you get the impression.
    If the impression starts at 17gm then aim for 16gm each time.

Then adjust grind to suit.
    Try and keep tamping pressure consistent.

James Hoffman has some excellent (and entertaining) videos.
    He did a full series of videos on how to dial in espresso and well worth a watch.

BlueRaven and Zee like this.
  4. miicah

miicah Member

Is there a tea thread? Search was a bit useless. I'm trying to move into some fancy tea's for my morning cup as I usually have a coffee later in the day. I'd rather get into something like specialty coffee rather than starting with T2.

BlueRaven likes this.
  5. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I don't think there is, or if there is it hasn't moved in years. You should probably start one, so I'll hold off rather than infodump now...

BlueRaven likes this.
  6. miicah

miicah Member

Groff, BlueRaven and Zee like this.
  7. Zee

Zee Member

Not sure - but I absolutely recommend a temperature controlled jug - I love our Brewista for this.I think it set me back about $70, and worth every penny. Though Aldi have temp controlled jugs on sale every so often for about $20, and I think it's a good way to go if your timing is right and don't want to spend the cash.

Oddly, I've also taken to making my teas using French press. Though for the shop, we still use the cast iron pots with the mesh filters that can be removed.

Double ristretto - my shot of choice.

Double ristretto 3/4 latte (Magic) is my milk coffee of choice.

"Long" double ristretto in a 150ml cup is my long black of choice. Love the flavours!

Z...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    Groff likes this.
  8. Groff

Groff Member

I heartily agree on both counts!

What are you doing here, adding hot water? If so how much?

9. Zee

Zee Member

It's 22g of coffee, pulled as a ristretto (so about 15 seconds with a 22g yield- thus a double ristretto) into a 150ml cup, with hot water making up the rest. I usually drink this when I want to sit and drink coffee for a bit longer, and I'm fasting. Allegedly, a black coffee won't break a fast, as the calorie count is too low.

Z...

Groff likes this.
  10. Groff

Groff Member

And it brings out the flavours?
    Well, I'll have to try the next cool day instead of doing a magic.

11. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

This was literally how I fell down the black coffee rabbit hole several years back.

Started drinking long black instead of flat white while fasting and that lead me down the espresso/single o/spend all my money on coffee rabbit hole.

Next to my kids it was the best thing to happen to me :D

tobes and Zee like this.
  12. Zee

Zee Member

It’s not a double ristretto, but it is still pretty good. Like I said, if I am not looking to break a fast, but want to sit in the shop and do some work whilst sipping coffee, that is my go-to. But it is not my first choice if I am not fasting.

It looks a little like this:
    0B3CA9A2-71EC-4311-A8D0-285688BECAD0.jpeg
    Though I screwed this one up because I did not pre-fill it with enough hot water, so ruined the crema.

I got in to the espresso and ristretto shots quite early. I actually also really like a double macchiato. It has just that tiny little stain of milk that seems to bring out something extra in the right coffee bean.

I think coffee and kids go hand in hand. There's no freaking way I could deal with my 1yo and my 3yo without a coffee to kick start myself. Especially the 3yo - she has somehow harnessed the power of a black hole and uses it to fuel her own little crusade of fun, chaos and destruction!

The best part is when she walks in with a coffee in the morning and says "wake up daddy"! It's almost like
    "I know you need this, so here, take your dose of narcotics and let's play!"

Z…

Groff likes this.
  13. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

This would have been pretty similar (closer to a straight double rather than ris but the cup is only ~150ml)
    20210704_073149_2.jpg
    I only started drinking coffee ~8 years ago. Probably been on black coffee the last 3 years or so.
    My kids are similar in age (2.5 and 1) and Mr 2.5 wants to "help daddy make coffee". It definitely slows down the process and really tests the patience when Mr 1 has decided that he wants to party for 2 hours overnight and I am going to kill someone unless I get coffee soon! :(

Groff and Zee like this.
  14. Zee

Zee Member

Yup, this exactly how this works.

For any of you childless folk - be glad there is coffee for when that time comes!

Z...

BlueRaven likes this.
  15. ndt

ndt Member

Anyone know of a way to clean a burr grinder without dismantling the machine? It's a fully automatic delonghi machine, so bit of a pain to remove it. I've stuffed a vacuum in it which helps but feels like it's only half cleaning it. I heard you can grind some bread through it to clean it but dunno if that's a real thing, I feel like it might just gum it up.

16. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Most of the fully automatic machines are a massive pain in the ass to clean. I've also seen several (Delonghi too) where the grinder burrs are clearly not designed to ever be cleaned as there's disassembly required.

The only way you're every going to properly clean the grinder is to remove the burrs and clean them and the burr chamber. However, there are specific coffee grinder cleaning pellets that you can run through the grinder to clean it - although not sure how this would work in a fully automatic machine.

17. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Probably best to pull it apart and clean it with a brush. You can get grinder cleaning pellets, but that's not really going to clean outside of the burrs. There'll be plenty of coffee around in there. Don't use rice, or bread.

18. ndt

ndt Member

Yeah, I had a look at a youtube video of someone repairing their grinder for the same machine as mine and it was like a Russian Nesting Doll. You have to take three sides off to get the top off to be able to pull out the whole mechanism. Then once you have that out you have to fully dismantle like two layers of plastics to get to the grinding burrs.

19. Groff

Groff Member

Wow!
    That looks good!

Thanks Zee & Chimpy

Zee likes this.
  20. tobes

tobes Member

I thought I knew tiredness before kids...

Zee likes this.