The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

Crema just looks cool...
    20210818_070321~2.jpg

Ps Zee, stitch coffee recommending 2.5.
    20210819_165413.jpg

Zee likes this.
  2. Zee

Zee Member

Very interesting, first time I've seen a ratio that high - I'll give it a good with a few singles and see how they pan out. I normally go down with ratios, for whatever reason, I've never gone up, should be very interesting. Will also try with our blend, just for the heck of it.

Z...

3. Hater

Hater Member

So I had a look at those cheap Amazon scales

hmm…

Mrs Hater has scales for her aromatherapy whacko I am woman hear me roar talking spiritual vagina touching sessions, and they look strangely familiar

[​IMG]

So I carefully measured out 14g of coffee for my 14g basket as a base

Aaand

28g of coffee came out in like less than 5 seconds.

[​IMG]

hmm.

welp, if the grind is too coarse, let’s crank it up to the maximum and go backwards from there

choked the grinder

Sigh

[​IMG]

cleaned it all out, loosened it all up again

decided screw it, I just want coffee at this point in time, I’ll just make a latte to mask the shitness of the shot somewhat, who cares

Aaaaaaand after 30 seconds

[​IMG]

Hrmm. Can’t win.

It’s frustrating because I’ve been making perfectly fine espressos* for months :mad:

*i only make them for me so I’m my only critic

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  4. Groff

Groff Member

Noooo don't do that.

Ok,

So that's great that you've removed 1 variable (dose)
    How many notches on the grinder?
    If 10 and (assuming 1 is finest and 10 coarsest) and you are on 7 for example,
    Try 5 and see if much improvement.
    You have a baseline, so adjustments should be incremental. Don't do a pendulum.

You'll get it very quickly.
    Maybe try when you don't "need" coffee so you have time to make 4 or 5 coffees in a row and see what you get.

Keep the failed shots and put in fridge/freezer for iced coffee or in a smoothie.

Zee likes this.
  5. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

This is old now, but I bought this last year and asked them for their recipe.
    They recommended "at least 1 to 3".

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB_wfm8jxL-

Need to get my hands on a machine that I can actually change pressure etc and play with the whole blooming allonge thing.

Zee likes this.
  6. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Just keep trying making adjustments on the grind - you'll get there. I've been making espresso for years, and for a new bean it consistently takes me 3 shots to dial in the grind.

Zee and Groff like this.
  7. Zee

Zee Member

For espresso, though? For cold brew, it can be 10:1 (or higher), and pour over, siphon and other manual brews will also have different ratios.

Z...

8. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

I get the different ratios for different methods. I am talking espresso in this instance.

upload_2021-8-24_8-39-32.png

All of this is to say I generally aim for 1:2 for my espresso (18:36 in my case).

Zee likes this.
  9. Zee

Zee Member

Damn, I actually really want to try this one out. I did try our own blend with this ratio, and it doesn't work for it. I long for the days of easy access to beans in Aus...

Z...

10. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

They're just making a Lungo which is a 1:3 - 1:4 - it's not at all unusual.

Espresso is typically around 1:2, and Ristretto is 1:1.

Lungo, Espresso and Ristretto are not 'things' - they're just the colloquial Italian names for different strengths of coffee extraction.

11. Zee

Zee Member

There ya go, learn something new every day. I'd still like to try it.

Yes and no... It's the first half of a shot, the yield is 1:1 technically, but also at about the 15 second mark - though I prefer to use blonde-ing as my cut of point (ie - when the shot starts to blonde, I cut the shot, but this seems to vary person to person, I've found).

Z...

Groff likes this.
  12. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

That's also true - the brewing time is also reduced so it's just a standard espresso shot cut short.

Although it's also interesting how much coffee has evolved independently across countries over the past decades to make their unique styles.

What we have in Australia (or at least Melbourne where I have my experience anyway) is already very different from the traditional Italian espresso, and also different from those in the US and Europe. For example, a standard espresso here, is a double in Italy and many other places, and verging on Italian ristretto ratio (i.e. Melbourne cafe's typically dose 20 - 24g in at a 1:18 - 1.22 out).

13. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, too true, I've had the good fortune of going to some really good coffee shops in quite few countries, and there certainly is variation, but there are also some really great shots out there. I was truly surprised when my ski trip to Utah a few years ago was brought to a halt by a dislocated shoulder, I spent the next day looking for coffee shops and then driving to the Salt Lake from Salt Lake City.

It was rather amusing to walk in to a coffee shop and ask for a macchiato, the barista mentioned that I should be aware that it is not half a litre of sugar coffee, to which I replied that that is exactly why I ordered it.

The other barista laughed, he had picked my accent and said "Can't you hear it? He's Australian, he knows what coffee is".

They poured damn good shots, I'm still trying to remember the name of the place, but I'm sure I'll figure it out on of these days if I look hard enough.

There is also some really good stuff in Thailand in here in the Philippines, too.

Z...

14. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

On which note...is my understanding of a macchiato wrong? I thought it's meant to be espresso with just the tiniest quantity of milk, but any time I've ordered one here in Adelaide I instead get something more like a shotglass-sized flat white.

15. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

I love the 'coffee stories' us weird coffee people have.

I have 2 from my last trip to Canada which still make me laugh and cringe:

1. About 3 weeks into my trip I was dying for a real coffee. We were in Montreal and I managed to track down a cafe called - funnily enough - the 'Melbourne Cafe' run by 2 guys from Brunswick. Went in, ordered a latte and a short black, making a point that I'm from Melbourne too. The barista put the coffees on the counter, which I then swiftly knocked over all over the place, wanting to crawl into a hole a die.

2. We were in Calgary, again dying for a real coffee. We went out for dinner to a fancyish Italian restaurant - I figured they would have actual coffee. I ordered a macchiato - at which point the waitress looked at me puzzled and asked 'You mean like with the caramel?'. I swiftly changed my order to a double-shot latte.

This again really depends on where you are. The traditional Italian Macchiato is an espresso with a small dab of foamed milk on it. In Melbourne, a Macchiato is typically either a) A triple-shot latte b) a latte made with a long black or c) an espresso or lungo with some milk served on the side. Really depends on which cafe you go to.

16. Groff

Groff Member

Edit: I have no idea how that HDD quote got in here :confused:

I'm definitely a firm believer of the blonde-ing technique. I find the taste is the most consistent rather than slavishly weighing the extraction. I religiously weigh the beans but go on sight with the extraction.
    I actually find it varies on the bean, especially noticeable when using beans after their first week of rest i.e. 7-20 days, after which they settle down a bit if you have any left.
    I could get anywhere from 1:1 to 1:1.5 and even closer to 1:2 when super fresh.

Zee likes this.
  17. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

cleaning out the pantry yesterday, found an unopened 250g pack of beans that had a roast date of 12/05/2019!

still smelled fine, and made a cup to see how it would taste... yeah, wouldn't recommend it

18. Groff

Groff Member

That wouldn't be far off the age of most commercial coffees in the supermarket.
    Especially those on clearance. :lol:

Kommandant33 and Zee like this.
  19. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I've used older beans to make cold brew which to me turned out fine.

20. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

This is why I freeze all of my coffee beans. They're great for a couple of years unopened (especially if the pack is nitrogen flushed).