1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. woja

woja Member

So unfortunately my wife's restaurant cafe in the Sydney CBD had become one of the many casualties due to Covid, it's been shut since March last year as we were expecting our second kid in September and she didn't have the time or energy to keep the shop running. We were hoping to sell off the business but due to the successive outbreaks/lockdowns that didn't go to plan and it's finally end of lease so we've been selling equipment and defitting the shop for the last few weeks.
    Since we were getting shitty offers for the La Marzocco 3 group coffee machine we decided to keep it and take it home along with the Mazzer grinder haha.
    Bit overkill for home use but probably a bit better than our 20 year old Bezerra BZ99 and Breville grinder lol.
    I'll probably need to call the electrician as it's got a 32 amp plug and a plumber to hook up an outlet for the water pump/filter lol.

20191108_125351.jpg 20210822_152550.jpg 20210822_142447.jpg

archie, Zee, jtir and 2 others like this.
  2. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

sorry to hear mate, but i guess there's a silver lining!

Groff likes this.
  3. Groff

Groff Member

Really sorry to hear.
    Hope you are able to get through ok without taking too much of a hit.

4. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

I've been single dosing with frozen beans for about a year now. I've found it to be superior to other methods for my application where I enjoy switching beans depending on my mood. I typically have 3 - 4 different beans available in the freezer at any given time.

Zee likes this.
  5. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

https://onacoffee.com.au/
    These guys single dose from frozen beans for their geisha etc.

I usually just have 1 or 2 different beans at any one time so never really last long enough to justify freezing them.

Zee likes this.
  6. jtir

jtir Member

Sorry to hear mate, perhaps look at temporary plumbing in case you want to get back into the cafe business once we open up again.

Same, I used to order bulk 2-3kg of beans and store the excess. Now I just order what I need to consume in about 2 weeks, and aim to finish within 4 weeks of roast date.
    Considered freezing or airtight/vacuum storage and now I just pull more shots instead.

Tempted to pull the trigger on a Niche Zero grinder, but so exxy right now.

7. Zee

Zee Member

So sorry to hear about this, I do wonder if we are yet to see the worst of COVID in terms of the damage the lockdowns are doing, though best keep COVID out of this thread I think.

On the positive side, you have a very sweet machine and grinder for home use. We took our GS3MP home when the lockdown started here (it lasted about 6 or 7 months before we were able to open again), and it was quite fun have a good machine in the house.

This is always a great solution. The current climate sucks for our coffee shop, but we manage to keep the coffee bean turnover thanks to personal consumption. It sometimes seems like consume about 5kg worth a month on our own, which is a shitload of coffee.
    One day, I'll get myself one of those...

On a side note, this is the tamper we use (Barista Hustle), got it for about $50 or $60 from St. Ali a few years back. Simple, feels great in hand, looks nice, and the base is cheap to replace.

Having said that, I've also been experimenting with just using a distribution tool instead of a tamper, and to be honest, I've seen no difference - though the settings on the grinder will be a tad different. If anything, it makes getting an even tamp for people like me that kinda suck at tamping a breeze.

Z...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  8. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

Best coffee purchase so far. Love mine. It is only let down by the bambino machine!

This is what I do. Works great and honestly see very little difference in extraction between distribution only or distribution + tamping.
    I see the most difference if I don't WDT the puck well enough.

9. woja

woja Member

Yeah sorry about that.

We ended up taking one of the stainless steel bench tops and will fab up a bench to suit and get it plumbed in sometime after the defit is completed. Hopefully I can make some coffees worthy of the machine, barista I am not haha.

BlueRaven likes this.
  10. clockwork

clockwork Member

Sorry to hear that Woja. Best of luck with the future.

On a side note I aslo have a Bezzera 99S (22 years and counting. These things a bulletproof. I just replace the pump every 2-3 years when it dies.) and a Breville grinder

woja likes this.
  11. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

I have one and it's fantastic. Makes it so easy for me to switch between beans on basically a daily basis (I just write the dose and grind number on the bean bag with a sharpie). Also, weighing and grinding into the dosing cup, and then tipping into the portafilter is amazing. I'll never go back to grinding directly into the portafilter.

Agree.

After going through a number of different tampers, I settled on a combo distribution tool/palm tamper. Guarantees a flat, even tamp with zero effort or attention.

From my point of view, it's just another variable that I'm able to remove from my process to more consistently dial in perfect shot after shot with minimal effort.

Zee likes this.
  12. woja

woja Member

Which one you recommend? Amazon special? 58.5 or 58.3mm

13. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

I just got an amazon special for $30. Works perfectly and it's not the bullshit $200+ for an OCD one that does exactly the same thing.

Mine's 58.3mm but it depends on your portafilter :thumbup:

woja likes this.
  14. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

I'd been meaning to ask about this in the thread. What containers do you guys use to "freeze" excess beans?
    I typically only buy 1kg at a time, but since I'm a single guy and my housemate insists on going up to the cafe to buy his 2 coffees every morning, it takes me a few weeks to get through them.

I have a couple of large mostly-airtight jars (the sort in which you buy bulk antipasto/olives/etc.) but neither is quite big enough for a whole kilo of beans, so the overspill goes in a tupperware container.
    The end of the jar definitely doesn't taste as good as the start, so I've taken to storing the big jar in the freezer and dishing out a couple of days worth of beans into the tupperware.

Am I doing it right? Would I be better off storing them in large ziplock bags? I suspect that putting the whole not-entirely-airtight jar in the freezer probably isn't ideal.
    But according to what I've learned, roasted beans don't contain enough moisture to actually freeze so the idea is to simply slow down flavour loss due to evaporation of volatile compounds.
    So I sort of assumed that it wouldn't matter all that much if the jar didn't have a perfectly airtight seal.

15. warney

warney Member

Personally BlueRaven I just order what is enough, generally 500g every 2 weeks or thereabouts so by the time I get to the end the taste profile hasnt changed dramatically.

However if I go with a 1kg bag, I normally just accept that the flavour will deteriorate but I dont actually freeze.

Time to ask the forum my little question :)

I currently have a Macap M4 Doser Grinder. The Grinder is fine, however retention is an issue, especially with the Doser component. Now I was looking at a few options however wanted some opinions on the Eureka Atom 65 as an "upgrade" or would this purely be a "sidegrade"?

Cheers!

BlueRaven likes this.
  16. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

I've tried a few different approaches and found the best mix of simple but effective is to simply purchase multiple 250g bags and just store them in those bags in the freezer.

I keep new bags in the pantry until 7 days post roast, and then they go into the freezer. When I want coffee I simply take one out, measure 18g into my dosing cup and stick the bag back into the freezer.

I've found that keeping them inside their small bags does a few things:

1. The bags are small, air-tight and have one-way valves on them so they get no air circulation until opened for the first time, and then only briefly when you use them and then they're sealed back up.
    2. No messing around with baggies, tubs, containers etc.
    3. Bags are convenient to pour from

But have a play around - everyone develops their own mojo. One of the great things about coffee - everyone does it differently.

BlueRaven likes this.
  17. BlueRaven

Cheers cb. :thumbup:
    I've been buying the 1kg bags of Lazzio dark roast beans from Aldi as discussed earlier in thread, hence trying to find the best way of managing that quantity over a month or so and keeping all the goodness in.
    Maybe I'll just give that up and hit up my friend at Withams Coffee in Hornsby for a decent price on 500g bags... :)

warney 's advice pointing me that way too... :thumbup:

18. warney

warney Member

Normally if you hunt around ozbargain enough you will see specials which allow you to taste a variety of different beans.

Just fyi there is a special there at the moment for airjo beans with free express shipping for minimal quantities.
    I normally just look around to see free shipping deals and do 500g at a time. This way for me allows variety and I am always trying a different blend or at least rotating them!

BlueRaven likes this.
  19. woja

woja Member

I ended up keeping one of the 500g coffee ziplock bags that the coffee came in. When we get a 1kg bag I pour half of it into the old smaller bag and keep the rest in the big bag in a tupperware thing.
    No issue with frozen beans and condensation clogging up the grinder? I've never really frozen beans before

BlueRaven likes this.
  20. BlueRaven

Appreciate the advice re. simply buying smaller quantities, and looking out for specials on 250-500g selections via ozbargain etc.
    When I'm shopping I'm usually trying to take advantage of economies of scale, even though I'm only buying for myself, hence usually getting a kg at a time.
    Vittoria on sale for $18 at ALDI tonight, so now there's another 1kg bag in the freezer... don't need to look for any deals in the immediate future at least. :)

woja, I've only got a cheap Breville herb & spice grinder at the moment (it's served me pretty well for about 15 years though) and I'll usually let the beans warm up a bit in the Tupperware before grinding. But I haven't had any issues with beans straight out of the freezer in the aeropress.
    My favourite roaster stores all their beans in upright freezers, my friend there told me that roasted beans don't actually freeze since there's close to 0% moisture in them.
    If you grind them straight out of the freezer you end up with cold, dry powder. :)

woja likes this.