The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

2. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

And 50% off Inglewood on Tuesday. I received a heads up email from them today.

Airjo isn't bad, I received a couple of bags from them this week.

supasaiyan likes this.
  3. Revenge

Revenge Member

After my machine (Breville Oracle) was in for repairs, I found myself with a spare bag of ground beans... As a result I have recently been knocking up some batches of cold brew concentrate...

1 cup ground coffee, 3 cups water.. in a jar, in the fridge. 48 hours, give it a shake every now and then.

Surprised by the outcome. Really enjoyed it and it is making some excellent ice coffees. About 20% concentrate, full cream milk and sweetened with a dash of maple syrup.

Deeeeelish.

Zee, BlueRaven and 303-Acid like this.
  4. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Love my cold brew! I usually only make it in the warmer months, so bring on summer!

5. simontifik

simontifik Member

I’ve not ever drank cold brew, might have to start giving it a go coming into my first Brisbane summer :wired:. Was buying beans at a roaster this morning and they had a nitrogen infused cold brew setup, looked like draught beer but for coffee. Will have to go back and give it a whirl.

6. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

I'm another that's never done the cold brew thing, but I'm thinking that the large jars I was previously using to store beans in the freezer would be perfect for this.
    Will definitely give it a try, cheers Revenge.

Revenge likes this.
  7. warney

warney Member

Looks great mate!

I am glad someone is using it!!!!!!

Good to see you are getting some nice shots too!

BlueRaven likes this.
  8. BlueRaven

Yeah, getting the hang of it now I've got the grind right.
    Only needs a really light tamp as you mentioned to me, I guess because it's a relatively narrow but thick puck and you're limited by how hard you can lean on the handle without breaking it.
    It's a lot more effort/time than my old full-auto Saeco, but it makes a fantastic cup of coffee and gives you much more control over the whole process. I'm very pleased with it.
    I'm even kind of enjoying the light exercise routine of grinding up a couple of shots every morning, but a better grinder is definitely the next purchase. :)

9. warney

warney Member

Glad you are enjoying it! And the smiles you get after making a great cup is awesome! Hit me up when you need that grinder! Let's work something out!

BlueRaven likes this.
  10. Zee

Zee Member

I really feel that cold brews are under appreciated generally. They offer amazing flavour, and super refreshing as a summer drink - certainly my go-to over canned fizzy drinks.

On a side note, I have had a good few coffees after the grinder strip down, clean, and re-assemble, and my goodness, our coffee is at a level that I seem to have forgotten even exists.

As I said, it had been variable for about a month, and I'd been trouble shooting like crazy, after the grinder clean, everything is just so easy to get right, and it is super consistent.

The only thing I really want now is a worm gear grind size adjuster...
    Z...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  11. Revenge

Revenge Member

The only fiddly part is filtering the end product.

I have a Trinity One that I use for filtering, but any pour over type device or even a drip filter would work a charm

12. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I brew mine in a French press. That filters most of the grounds. I then pour it through my aeropress with a fine metal filter which gets a majority of the fines. I then store the concentrate in glass bottles.

So good with milk and maple syrup. Sometimes I drink with carbonated water. Use it for espresso Martinis, etc.

Zee likes this.
  13. BlueRaven

Good tips, thanks.
    I have some paper filters that I bought when I was enthusiastic about getting into backyard chemistry (since decided to leave that to the ChemTubers), it will be good to use them for something.
    Or might just run it through the aeropress with its paper disc filters.
    My plunger pot got busted in the last move, the damn things are so fragile (especially if it just gets chucked in a box with other kitchen stuff and entrusted to Lady Luck :rolleyes:).

14. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

BlueRaven likes this.
  15. Revenge

Revenge Member

Glad I'm not the only one.... I thought using maple syrup as the sweetener was a bit weird at first but it just works. Big plus is you can use the sugar free stuff to cut down on sugars if you want.

16. BlueRaven

Thanks for links once again, so much good info in this thread.
    I've still got at least 3/4 of my last refill pack left, but the filter screens look to be good value for $18 considering the paper filters are $10/pack, and improve the coffee quality to boot.

I had no idea that such stuff existed.
    Trying to get my head around how they can make a sugar-free version of something that's basically liquid sugar. The wonders of modern food chemistry I suppose. :D
    Edit: ah, google search says Erythritol and/or Steviol glycosides.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  17. Groff

Groff Member

A food grade sponge can be very handy for that.

I was given a water carafe that was modded with a squeeze water bottle top fixed to the bottom of the carafe.
    The sponge sits on the inside of the bottle top.
    When the time comes to release the brew you just just pop the top (well, bottom) and let the coffee decant into another jar.

About 30ml to 250ml of water and voila.

18. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i find it tastes better with the paper filter... maybe a placebo thing

19. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

I think it is largely a personal preference thing as far as what you prefer, but paper vs metal filter and aeropress is definitely a different drink.
    Typically a cleaner cup with paper since less fines get through.

Zee and supasaiyan like this.
  20. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

You also tend to have to push harder for the metal ones