1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

If this is your coffee of choice it's good to note that you can also order in advance with this special. You can also place separate orders so if you want one in a fortnight then another a month later you can do that. They tend to roast every 2nd day, it tells you at the top of their page normally when their next roast is.

BlueRaven likes this.
  2. warney

warney Member

Indeed!

I just received a batch from them from Melbourne and I will be giving it a go, I also received some from Sensory Lab/St Ali as well.

Wanted to give the Single Origin a go, however I am not game in a latte/espresso format. I have lost my taste for Filtered coffee and parted with my tried and true V60 along with Aeropress.

3. RnR

RnR Member

No. Paper filters has enough of a difference to make you live longer apparently;
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/well/eat/filtered-coffee-heart-health-benefits.html

supasaiyan likes this.
  4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

There’s studies on everything… Grabbing a coffee this morning, I saw a flyer on the wall (with those strips you rip off) and it was about a study where the person wanted to speak to people “who have been injured while taking a selfie”

Radley, Zee and RnR like this.
  5. Zee

Zee Member

Sounds like a study on idiots.

Z...

6. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

I await the next report in 6 months time regarding some new study which suggests that every cup of coffee takes thirty minutes off your life.
    Wait... maybe I'm getting confused with chocolate? It's hard to keep up sometimes. :)

:thumbup: Two thumbs up :thumbup: to warney once again for sharing some of his Boutique Bean "overstock" with me.
    He was kind enough to supply me with some Lime Blue, Sensory Lab, and Airjo Twilight beans to supplement the Lazzio and Vittoria already in my freezer. Spoilt for choice now.
    Also gave me a small bag pre-ground for instant satisfaction, which I've been enjoying over the past couple of days. Excellent coffee, thanks very much mate!
    I'll have to do a tasting morning this week, spend a bit of time with the grinder and try some of the good beans back-to-back with the supermarket stuff.

Groff, Stooge007 and Zee like this.
  7. woja

woja Member

2 weeks ago my Bezzera Bz99 decided to start hissing at me from its pressure safety valve.
    After taking it apart and doing some googling I diagnosed it as being the pressurestat shitting itself, ie not cutting off the boiler when it reached pressure so the boiler stayed on until it triggers the safety valve.
    It meant that everything was over temperature and pressure so we could still technically use it so as long as we turned it off after we used it.
    I ended up ordering a new pressurestat and had to wait a bit due to Aus post delays.
    In the meantime the pressurestat itself decided to leak so it would barely get up to pressure and the water out of the group was definitely under temp and pressure which made it shithouse.
    When it finally arrived I took off the existing one and tried to take off the bsp to npt adaptor from it and the plastic just disintegrated so spent another 10 minutes drilling out the remains from the adaptor until I could clean it up, Teflon and screw in the new pressure sensor (which has brass threads thank goodness)
    Life is good again and the coffee is better than ever. It seems like the new pressurestat has a narrower band which keeps it more consistent

BlueRaven, Zee and tobes like this.
  8. eilsel

eilsel Member

I have upgraded my Breville Oracle Coffee machine group head's shower screen and plastic holder with a Stainless Steel holder and IMS shower screen. I found that the origional setup did not distribute the water uniformly over the screen and had a tendency to stream. I have short video's of before and after upgrade water flows. Im now achieving better consistancy when pulling shots.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Radley, scrantic, Groff and 3 others like this.
  9. Revenge

Revenge Member

Am interested.

Where did you get the bits?

10. eilsel

eilsel Member

scrantic, BlueRaven and Revenge like this.
  11. simontifik

simontifik Member

First batch of ghetto cold brew:
    23B4B2AD-3A37-4A8C-BFC3-2BA694DE3BCB.jpeg

It’s pretty bitter, think I left for a bit too long before filtering or might have used too fine grind. A bit more experimenting required.

Revenge likes this.
  12. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

How long and how coarse? Also what ratio of grounds to water?

I use a cup of beans to about a litre of water. Course plunger ground. 12-24 hours soak in the fridge.

BlueRaven likes this.
  13. simontifik

simontifik Member

I used a ratio of about 15:1, 50g beans in 750ml water. Grind was 20/25 setting on my Sunbeam. I left it brewing for 30 hours, got busy today and completely forgot about it lol.

BlueRaven likes this.
  14. NSanity

NSanity Member

Sold my GS3 to a cafe/roaster. it cost me $500 in 6 years. Just pulled the trigger on a Decent Espresso DE1XXL.

[​IMG]

cbwolf likes this.
  15. warney

warney Member

Wow! GS3!

16. NSanity

NSanity Member

Out with the old, in with the new!

fingers crossed on the courier gods that the Decent arrives today.

[​IMG]

oh boy!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  17. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Time to splash a little tax return money on a decent entry level grinder.

Sunbeam EM0480, what do you reckon guys? Cheapest I could find it at $169, I like the looks/design, and the peanut gallery reviews are all positive.
    Seems like a good purchase, unless someone can point me at something better around the $200 mark?

Edit: mentioned by Zee and pictured by simontifik on page 96, good enough recommendation for me. It's on the way. :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Revenge likes this.
  18. scrantic

scrantic Member

Revenge likes this.
  19. simontifik

simontifik Member

Mines been pretty solid for about 7 years. My main complaint would be the chute the grounds collect in is fairly flat. I have to pick it up and give it a tap to knock the last bit of grounds out, otherwise they’ll sit there and end up in the next coffee. 2 or 3 times I’ve had it stop working on me. There’s a little cut out switch that stops it turning on without the top on. That’s come loose (probably from me tapping out the grounds) and I’ve had to pull it apart and reseat the switch.

I don’t think there’s much else sub $200 unless you want to get a hand grinder. My bro loves his Hario grinder, swears by it.

BlueRaven likes this.
  20. eilsel

eilsel Member

Mine is going great, let us know how yours goes when you get it.