1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. scrantic

scrantic Member

Arrived this morning just after my First cup. Installed and onto my second Cup. Love Amazon Prime on International orders arrived 5 days early!

Dialed it in perfectly almost first crack, Dropped Grind from 34-30 and reduced the extraction time from 32- 30 seconds. Better Crema as well. Will keep experimenting.

Revenge and Groff like this.
  2. 6thgear

6thgear Member

I absolutely froth my Breville. I am probably not up there with coffee aficionados though I am addicted to that sweet brown nectar. A few of my friends and now work colleagues have bought the dual boiler or the single boiler barista express and all have been very happy. It also looks great on the kitchen counter

BlueRaven and Radley like this.
  3. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

If the Double boiler was that price when we were looking, we would have purchased it.
    We went with the lower Express, and nearly two years later, it's still our favorite child.

BlueRaven and Radley like this.
  4. Radley

Radley Member

Thanks everyone.
    I want to get my Lelit serviced before I sell it though. Anyone got recommendations on places near Mid North Coast, or sites that have guides on what should be cleaned and checked?

5. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    BlueRaven and scrantic like this.
  6. davros123

davros123 Member

7. Revenge

Revenge Member

I've got a Breville Oracle. The boilers temp sensor shit itself about 3 month's out of warranty which was annoying. Cost me $400 to fix.

Talking to the guy who did the reapir, he was saying that when it comes to coffee machines.. it isn't if, it is when it will fail

He has three technicians... 2 of them do nothing but coffee machines, the third spends about half his time on coffee machines.

The combination of heating and cooling, moisture and fuck knows what else means they operate under shitty conditions.

He did say that the Breville is no worse than any other brand though...

8. davros123

davros123 Member

The technology used in the machines does make a difference to reliability imho.
    My old sunbeam thermoblock was pretty crappy
    My ECM Giotto that replaced it has been happy smashing out coffee for ~14 years so far - so no complaints there.

When I calculate how much that bad boy has saved me over the 14 years at 2 x coffee/day and same for wifey ...DAMN ! That's s freaking awesome return !
    Plus the quality - priceless.

9. Zee

Zee Member

Heat, water and electricity. Not the ideal combination...

Z...

10. Revenge

Revenge Member

Until you throw in some coffee beans... then it becomes bloody devine!!

But yeah .. I think the only one that won't let you down at some point is an Aeropress.. and even that has issues (the rubber on my plunger is starting to get sticky)

Zee likes this.
  11. Zee

Zee Member

I noticed that with our GS3 - after about 4 years now, with religious servicing, we are still seeing seals and gaskets give more often than I'd like. A slow water leak from just behind the group head started a few days back, so gotta figure that out and order the part...

Z...

Revenge likes this.
  12. Radley

Radley Member

They pay for themself in a year or 2 with 2 coffees a day. Go up to 4 and you're laughing.

The only issue with the Aeropress is that it burnt all the skin off the back of my hand once.

13. Revenge

Revenge Member

How the hell? You're not meant to juggle them mate!

14. Zee

Zee Member

Pretty much me. I'm on a stable diet of 4 doubles/day. I usually start with a double mac (that pretty much tells me whether or not the machine & grinder are dialled in), then one more to be sure. I'll do a couple of Magics for the afternoon sprint, and there will be the odd mocha or latte thrown in just so I can practice my latte art (which sucks epically considering we've had the machine for about 4 years or so).

Speaking of milk, the local caribou milk has become my go to for milk coffee. It has a higher fat content than cow milk, and the flavour is just fantastic, and soooo smooth and creamy. the place we can buy it from is about an hour down the mountain, which kinda sucks, though luckily, I do drive to Manila often enough that picking up 10 or 20 litres and freezing it works out ok.

On a side note, whilst freezing milk normally kinda sucks thanks to the fat and water having different freezing points, the steaming process actually mixes it all back up nicely - just have to make sure to give the milk a good shake before pouring it in to the pitcher.

I know this is not an issue for those in a place where fresh milk is something you can pick up for a couple of bucks whenever you feel like it, but here in the Philippines, it is truly a luxury to find proper fresh milk. It's also pricey (about $3-$4/litre), and most of the time, they use UHT milk here - which is why their milk coffee here generally tastes like burnt plastic. We have to use it too, sadly, as our fresh milk supply is random at best, though I did spend the time and money to test about 20 brands of UHT milk when we first got our GS-3 and opened the small coffee shop, and it turns out Devondale is actually not too bad overall. It doesn't taste horrible when steamed, and whilst not as good as fresh milk by a bit of a margin, it is well ahead of every other brand (including Milk Lab, which claims to be "designed for milk coffee"), and is quite drinkable, at the very least.

Z...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    wulfy23, Revenge and Radley like this.
  15. DrJK

DrJK Member

The water chamber on mine is... cracking? I'm not sure what it is but there are scratches/grooves inside it where the hard plastic is sort-of separating. Still seems to work fine enough but feels like it'll eventually die.

At least it wasn't your dick. I will neither confirm nor deny whether or not this happened to me.

Zee likes this.
  16. davros123

davros123 Member

5 days from Italy - not bad at all!

Love this machine. No clumps, No static. Bugger all retention. My extraction is a bit off - but not bad for a quick pour.
    upload_2021-12-3_18-51-43.png
    upload_2021-12-3_18-49-37.png upload_2021-12-3_18-49-56.png upload_2021-12-3_18-50-14.png

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Zee and BlueRaven like this.
  17. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Shots.jpg

Need to order me some more Funky Beans.

wulfy23 and Zee like this.
  18. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Zee and BlueRaven like this.
  19. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Ma Baker likes this.
  20. passwordistaco

passwordistaco Member

Looking to get away from pots of filtered coffee and into an espresso machine to make lattes/caps etc.

Not overly concerned about size as the mrs wants a little coffee station - more thinking practicality. For one - she's the latte drinker and will refuse anything other than an automatic milk frother, lol. Gotta keep it simple. We went from looking at Delonghi automatic machines to now Breville semi-auto. The automatic machines seem to be riddled with issues and give poor temp control for anything around $1K - so staying clear.

Thinking either the Breville Bambino Plus + a Breville Smart Grinder Pro OR a Breville Barista Touch. Barista Touch seems to have an average grinder from what I've read though, which is a shame. But does have a hot water wand (I drink long blacks mainly), while the Bambino Plus can steam water through the milk wand... or I just top up with a kettle. I plan to try out a non-pressurised basket too, which I can pick up separately.

Any thoughts/experience? First timers here. Anything else I'd need to get/consider? Cheers.

EDIT: Bought the Bambino Plus + Smart Pro Grinder... lets see how we go!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    BlueRaven likes this.