1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Goobers, May 9, 2011.

1. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

Oh I 100% want to.
    The problem is we just bought a house and are saving to do some renovations so dropping $4k+ on a coffee machine is not going to happen.

2. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Hey coffee gurus :p I've been watching my mates all get around proper coffee setups and having tried their brews a few times now, I decided the wife's Nespresso machine doesn't cut it any more. So I hit the reviews, watched some youtubes, and kitted out the only remaining space on the kitchen bench

[​IMG]

Thats a Gaggia Classic which I fitted with a Rancilio wand as well as cutting the bottom out of the portafilter with a holesaw to make it a naked style. To go with, I picked up a Breville smart grinder and a nice little box of sunbeam accessories which included the tamp.

[​IMG]

There's a mob of bean roasters only 5 minutes from my house so I popped round there and picked up their main bean and their decaf bean. Decaf for me, spicy stuff for the wife.

[​IMG]

Just following a 20g -> 40ml pull I'm pretty stoked with the flavour so far. I'm weighing the beans and dropping them into the Breville as I make a coffee rather than filling the hopper...I figure most people do that. I have mates running it on the finest setting (1) but for me the Gaggia couldn't even get water through the puck on a 9, even when experimenting with a super light tamp. About 16 seems to produce the flow rate I expect at around 28 sec for said amount, and I can tamp it firmly enough to avoid any channeling. I'm using the portafilter attachment for the grinder and just letting the Breville drop it into place in a neat heap which seems to be ideal for distribution

Apparently milk frothing is not something you get right on the first try :lol: will report back when I get anywhere with it...

macktheknife and Stooge007 like this.
  3. underskore

underskore Member

I wouldn't worry about trying to match the setting between different grinders of the sample make/model.
    They aren't exactly known for calibration accuracy and a lot have a second method of adjustment inside/beneath the hopper so the range of available positions could be 7-10x higher than you think there is.

I'm also surprised at you busting out the holesaw, just a moment ago I was cursing my bottomless basket holder. What's been a very consist brew routine/setup for the last month just resulted with a very messy pour

4. power

power Member

ok, filthy Nespresso casual checking back in.

So, we got the steel pod and also the foil lids (Amazon) and well for me foil lids are the best and actually easiest to use. This might change if i could get an Alto steel pod, but well that's not a thing, they only seem to come in the 230mL size and an Alto makes 414mL of coffee. Still, if you are after a 230mL it's a good option.

i like a big big coffee of a morning (for the drive to work) and this needs a fairly decent sized pod (it is a challenge for a regular machine as well meaning you would need to do two shots of my old "proper" espresso machine). Nespresso has discontinued it but the Alto pod is perfect for me (I have one that I am re-using, see how long it lasts).

I'm grinding my own beans (Merlo atm) with my trusty Sunbeam then filling the Alto and going from there. The tamp is very light just firm no more, stick a foil lid on (they are adhesive and stick round the edges) and yeah pop it in, really basic shit.

Perfect consistent coffee every time, without the signature bitterness of the Nespresso branded coffee. I think even the most discerning coffee snob would be impressed.

The milk is kind of what I miss being that there's no proper wand anywhere to be seen on my bench, however I do have an Aeroccino 3 which was included in the box. This thing is interesting I guess but doesn't really make a lot of milk and if anything this brings everything down a peg, my strategy is to pre-warm a small amount of milk in the microwave in the bottom of any cup/mug. Fill the cup/mug with whatever pod be it Nespresso or re-packed, remove the "crema" the pod makes then (yeah not a fan of that - i think the Nespresso machine makes just a bit too much for my liking) top up with aeroccino milk/foam. Although this sounds lengthy it's really not because both machines run at the same time and there is minimal clean-up - honestly clean-up to me is the lengthiest part of making a coffee and i like that i can just leave the used pod and have my coffee there and then. The aeroccino is also quick to clean making the whole thing great for the time poor/lazy people like me.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
  5. NSanity

NSanity Member

I have a DE1XXL. Its great. I find it questionable that it would perform in a commercial setting as a primary volume machine. Single O use would good - as is its ability to smash out pourovers with the pourover basket under a 2 cup hario.

Back to back Shot consistency is very good, but not absolutely flawless like my GS3 was.

Once you've got your head around how to adjust your prep based on the data it provides - this is the single most rad thing about it. I've had a few OCAU guys over now to do "coffee 3 ways" - with the various profiles - e.g Blooming Espresso, Default and Lever/Londinium shots - how it changes both taste and texture. Then toss in an Rao Allonge and a Pourover - all out of the same coffee. Interesting experience.

Zee likes this.
  6. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

I've been pretty set on getting a DE1XL for a couple of years now (planning on mid this year).

How do you find it as a real world user? I'm really into the control and data it seems to give you (especially the auto-adjusted pressure to hit a set flow rate). But at the same time, it's in the price range of a nice Linea Mini or Rocket R 58.

7. NSanity

NSanity Member

First and foremost, I bought it for Footprint and the fact its a no-compromise tank based machine (can't plumb in this house). On that front it delivers, essentially containing my coffee "habit" to the same foot print the GS3 did alone and not having to find a place for a grinder and knock box, or account for natural spacing to actually use the thing. Its startup heating cycle is *fast*, like 3-4 minutes from cold overnight (altho the bambino etc beats this now - but a bambino isn't even remotely playing the same game), I can basically touch the screen and start my coffee prep and its basically ready to go once i've ground the beans, WDT'd and tamped.

Purchase process was hyper-interesting - essentially you get to pick a machine from the available inventory - Ultra high def photos, videos and test reports - great customer "service" in this regard - even though its mostly self-driven.

I haven't ventured beyond the Profiles supplied from the nightly builds (i.e custom) - but there is a mix of fixed profiles vs "do while X -> then Y", the latter of which are hyper interesting. The vast majority of what it makes is:
    • Default - (18 in, 36 out - over 24-34 seconds). Seriously underrated profile
    • Rao Allonge - which i like to call a "dirty" long black (15 in, 136 out over 35-45 seconds at a high, consistent flow rate). Huge extraction, flavourful and good to sip on whilst i work.
    • Rao Pourover - (22in, 375g out - uses the pourover basket, which essentially pulses over 4 minutes or so into a v60 2cup)
    • Damians LRv3 - (18in, 45 out - over 30ish seconds). Like default, but a much thicker, syrupy espresso
    • Blooming Espresso - (18in, 36 out - over ~45 seconds). Espresso with a very long pre-infuse - good for lighter roasts
    The data/graphs - from my point of view - isn't about radically making something different, its about providing clarity on what you need to tweak in your prep to get closer to your desired outcome. In the real world, If you know your way around commercial coffee machines and dialing in, I don't think it changes *much* in terms of saving waste etc when you change beans.

I don't drink much in the way of milk anymore, so its hard to really comment on the steam wand - other than in terms of flow/pressure compared to the LM GS3 I had previously, its comparable - if not a smidge faster on the DE1XXL (which for anyone coming from a home-user targetted machine will be *really* overwhelming). "The Internet" says its dry-er, producing better milk - but I just don't make enough with it to really comment. The 3-4 milk drinks in 500+ shots i've done were great.

Cleaning/maintenance is pretty neat too - so long as you're punching filtered water into it (I use a peak atm, but will probably slap a RO setup under the sink given the persistent earthy taste in East Brisbane's water of late), you just chunk a blind in and press the button. Its built "not" to require a descale etc.

Software updates are frequent on the nightly channel, and I haven't actually been hit with a bug despite being a nightly build channel. John is very active in the Decent Basecamp "forum-like thing" (honestly basecamp is terrible as a forum thou), and reasonably active in both Discord and the Decent Forum.

I think it really comes down to what you want out of an espresso machine. If you're just pulling espresso's and need it to kick out your daily fix - the aesthetic is not "classic" like a Rocket, GS3 or even Linea, and inevitably you'll just ignore all the graphs and have a fast warm up machine that might look weird/great in your kitchen. If you are a coffee curious person, there is a lot this machine can do that literally nothing else can - but to learn and get the best out of it, is a time commitment.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    freaky_beeky, Zee, cbwolf and 2 others like this.
  8. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

You've inspired me to order a kit and lids for my Vertuo machine, Now to pick the right coffee... hmm.
    Normally I drink Double Espresso lattes, so it's going to have to be on the stronger side to fit enough in the pods.

9. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Thanks. That's all along the lines of what I understood and was expecting.

I've done both commercial and home coffee so I'm familiar with different machines, approaches and tweakable aspects. While I love coffee, it's also a hobby for me and the data aspect is really appealing. Probably the most exciting thing for me is the ability to use flow-rate as a variable that's accurately measured - that's something I've never been able to do before and a game changer in my eyes.

Looks like I'll stick to my plan of getting a DE1XL mid-year :thumbup:

10. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, that is actually very interesting. Looks like a great machine for going full coffee geek. I can imagine it may be overwhelming for people that have not had a bit of experience with espresso machines, though I could probably go through half a kilo of beans in a morning seeing what works best for a bean.

On a side note, someone mentioned the LM Linea Mini - apart from looks, I find the Linea Mini underwhelming for the price. The PID is a manual dial, no way to set pre-infusion, the lever is just an "on/off" switch. Don't get me wrong, it can certainly make a great coffee, but there are certainly better options for that sort of cash. Personally, I'd prefer a Lelit Bianca.

If you truly want your coffee space to look like a mini coffee shop, though, the Linea Mini certainly is going to win in terms of the looks side of things.

Z...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
  11. power

power Member

pictures!

The process/setup. Compact is important for us, we don't have a lot of space and mrs power doesn't get too involved but likes the results. ;)

I can also bang out an extra pod and she can just drop it in later and she's got her own quality coffee with the convenience of a pod.

My real machine is in the cupboard due to lack of space :( and this has at least given me the ability to make real coffee again.

upload_2022-2-16_7-55-54.png

upload_2022-2-17_7-26-48.png

upload_2022-2-17_7-27-11.png

the aftermath - regular pods vs home job pods - they say recycle, i prefer re-use :)

upload_2022-2-16_7-56-54.png

peel back the lid, clean out and ready to go again!

upload_2022-2-16_8-3-2.png

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    Zee and ShadowBurger like this.
  12. PhilOCAU

PhilOCAU Member

This may have been mentioned before but I recently started having my coffee pods with condensed milk.

It's refreshing served over ice cubes.

Zee likes this.
  13. inexistence

inexistence Member

I haven't hopped on OCAU for a while. I thought i might share an interesting project to yourself and everyone. If you are going down the modding rabbit hole, i highly recommending skipping the pid and dimmer setup and go with this project https://github.com/Zer0-bit/gaggiuino

The project has temp control, and pressure profiling already working. Load cells is a WIP. There's decent documentation on the github and people on the discord have compiled their documentation for their respective setups.

ShadowBurger likes this.
  14. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

Wow... First I've seen of the Gaggiuno. Looks like an awesome project.

Have you had a crack at this yourself? I've super interested in how it turned out.

15. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Did see that. Cool thing to do but... everything is still manual, you're not gonna experience a whole lot of difference unless your temperatures and pressures were wrong and you didn't know, right?

16. inexistence

inexistence Member

Its fantastic. I don't temp surf like I used to on the old pid setup. Workflow time has decreased from shot to shot.

The pressure gauge is extremely accurate compared to my el cheapo gauge from fleabay.

Also you are able to program the dimmer and do pressure profiling. I.e. 2 bar preinfusion, 9 bar, then taper to 6.

Once the load cells are complete by the lead Dev, he is moving on to a more capable micro controller (stm Blackpill) and will be changing how power is modulated.

It's a great diy project. Heaps of documentation and design (UI and 3d printed housing) by the community

Yes it's still a manual machine. But what it enables is better precision and functionality similar to decent de1. There's still caveats i.e. it's still a smaller single boiler

For hobbiest / home use it's perfect for my use-case. I don't have the desire to upgrade to an e61 machine.

ShadowBurger likes this.
  17. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Anyone recommend an entry level machine? Kind of getting over pods/aeropress

18. Zee

Zee Member

How much do you want to spend? The Brevilles are usually a safe bet.

Z...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
    von Stalhein likes this.
  19. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

What Z said.

Also do you need a grinder or just a machine? I have the breville bambino that I paird with a Niche grinder (grinder is worth 3x the machine but will easily see me through just about any upgrades I want to make).
    I know lots of people with the barista express (and pro).
    Only REAL downside to the lower end breville is the 54mm basket which has been harder to get accessories for but that is slowly changing.

The similar priced sunbeam actually offer 58mm which is a nice bonus if they are anywhere near as good/reliable as the breville.

Zee and supasaiyan like this.
  20. caspian

caspian Member

my venerable Saeco superauto died on the weekend, either pump or electronic failure. not worth repairing as the screen was also gone.

I tried to convince the wife to go for a good semiauto this time, and hoped the convenience and small footprint of an AIO like a Breville Oracle might sway her. but I was firmly told that coffee should be capable of appearing with one button press. so I now have a Jura E8 which seems quite cheerful so far.