The Consolidated B&EC "Quick Question" Thread.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by looktall, Jun 6, 2015.

1. tensop

tensop Member

Hmm, those both appear to be clients, was thinking more along the lines of something that can act as the actual tracker... the scale isnt large, probably only around 150-200 sites and minimal traffic to the tracker itself

2. BAK

BAK Member

This definitely doesn't seem like a B&EC question, specifically since it can be answered by LMGTFY. I'd start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_tracker_software

3. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I use torrents in enterprise every day.....not

4. tensop

tensop Member

Yep, i've seen the list... which is why im asking here. Considering torrents are used in very large data transfers(uni's genome projects for example) - i'd consider it a valid b&ec question :)

5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Citation Wanted.

Just so I've got something else to use for my Piracy related euphemisms than "Linux Isos"

6. tensop

tensop Member

Citation? sure - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorious

We have a large WAN, and the tracker would be used to push around content we legally own, which right now is around the 1.2tb mark. Rather than loading up a single site with FTP downloads saturating their connection - distributed file sharing will work much better. We have it in place at the moment however the person managing it left a while back and it has rotten away :)

Will have to trawl over to reddit and find some people with knowledge rather than attempts to steer the conversation in a direction where they can express their opinions rather than address the simple question. This subforum sure does live up to its reputation these days ;)

7. Gunna

Gunna Member

Uuummmm...... Branchcache anyone?

8. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

9. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Push it to who though? What's the goal of looking at this as an alternative to FTP?

Need some extra details to help people here to work out why you want to do this :)

10. tensop

tensop Member

11. tensop

tensop Member

Explained above - Don't want to saturate the WAN connection of a single site, with torrents - the load is distributed. A lot of the files are 40gb+. with an FTP i'd need to limit the bandwidth to 1-2mb/sec to stop the 50mbps connection copping a beating, and at that speed the download time is pretty significant... torrenting it i can distribute amongst multiple sites inside the WAN

12. Gunna

Gunna Member

How do you handle versioning?

13. NSanity

NSanity Member

Torrents will technically do that for you (via the file hash) - but every new revision will be a new torrent. Because fuck Delta's right?

14. Gunna

Gunna Member

Locally in each site would have multiple copies though as each new torrent downloads. How the hell do you manage that?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  15. tensop

tensop Member

the content is static :)

16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Cheers for that.

Your critiscim is fair, but so are the comments.

XYProblems are bound to occur, especially when using technology for something other than their most common use. If you explain the goal, in addition to the existing, or proposed solution, the discussion can be a lot more useful.

Are torrents the best solution to the problem? have you discounted distributed file systems?

I know MS have been pushing Linux pretty hard, but I don't think They've ported this :).

17. Gunna

Gunna Member

No nix equivalent? I thought I read they had, not as robust but still....

18. tensop

tensop Member

Settled on bittornado - can manage it all via CLI, and supports a restriction to .torrents found in a directory to prevent it being used as an opentracker for piracy :)

Now, on to setting up rsync to sync the content between 2 trackers :)

19. OP
    OP
    looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

In CUCM is is possible to have a configuration template so that an IP phone can put itself into a device pool based on who has logged into the phone?
    device mobility might be what i'm looking for, but that seems to be more aimed at phones moving around a lot.

I'm thinking more about configuring a brand new out of the box phone to drop itself into the correct device pool and pick up the settings from that pool.
    We currently do it manually which is pretty shit.

20. Hater

Hater Member

"Hey Hater, you use SCCM yeah?"

"Yep."

"That's System Centre, yeah?"

"Yep."

"And you do all those dashboards for our deployment stats, yeah?

"Yep."

"SCOM is also System Centre, isn't it?"

"..."

"Well our SCOM guy left, now you're doing that too. Here's 500 billion urgent monitoring implementations we need"

*logs onto SCOM*

-w-h-a-t-t-h-e-f-u-c-k-i-s-t-h-i-s-

Where do I even begin?