The Consolidated B&EC "Quick Question" Thread.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by looktall, Jun 6, 2015.

1. tensop

tensop Member

ive accidently done it a few times, doesnt delete the emails

then again that was a span of about 5 minutes

2. mr626

mr626 Member

Cheers, thanks for that. I'm in the middle of testing this myself, going to leave it for 24 hours to be sure, but as you say, doesn't seem to remove the emails.

Google Gsuite support confirmed, you can remove/re-add Gsuite services and users won't lose any data they might have in those services:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/45691?hl=en

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  3. randomman

randomman Member

We have alerts on for O365 and specifically content/ediscovery searches. I checked the alert and it details the search ID that was run, but doesn't seem to have the search parameters in it. I'm worried if someone deletes the search we can't see what mischief they were up to.

4. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Or you use a $150 headset + soft-phone.

NSanity likes this.
  5. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Wondering if anyone has come across this issue.. Using Skype for Business, in Win7 if you switch from one user account to another mid call, the audio for the call continues like nothing has happened. This is useful if you need to jump into a local admin account for whatever reason, whilst keeping the user on the phone. In Win10 though, when you switch accounts the audio is muted, or simply not passed through to the other account. The S4B call continues, but neither party can hear each other any more. I wouldn't really care except the average potato figures if they can't hear you there's no reason not to wander off and ruin someone else's productivity while they wait, and of course they aren't there to log back in when you're done.

Is there a setting somewhere that can override this behaviour, or is this some sort of user account sandboxing in Win10 that can't be changed?

6. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Server 2012/2016 and RDS infrastructure. I understand the best practice or reference architecture would call for roles to be separated and in a DMZ, IE RD Gateway, RD Web, Connection Broker, Licensing, then on the internalnet, n session hosts dependent on requirements etc, giving something like 3-4 servers at a minimum, without worrying about HA, or HA for UPD etc. plus obviously you need your AD setup.

This is suggestive that maybe a quickstart deployment would let you get away with using just a single node as RDGW,RDW,CB, and Session Host? Primarily used with on-prem hardware where 5-6 staff would mostly just connect internally direct to port 3389 and may not even need external RDWA..

sound right?

7. bcann

bcann Member

Maybe not the right way to do it, but if it will never see the WEB of day, why not just go with RDSH + Licensing?

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

I regularly deploy RDSH+RDGW onto the same box, pushing 443 and 3389U to the web - then locking down RDGW w/ Duo (free for < 10 users). CB in a single host farm is "pointless".

Its fine. If you're paranoid use geoblocking on your firewall.

also you know about this right? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...vices/clients/remote-desktop-web-client-admin

freaky_beeky likes this.
  9. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

wasn't aware of the web client admin, no, thanks :)

NSanity likes this.
  10. NSanity

NSanity Member

its not just admin - its full blown mstsc replacement :p

11. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

Quick conceptual question: We've got a number of systems at work, a number of which have a RESTful http interface. I understand the concept of using the designated API when developing an application that relies on the data available by the interface, but what if I have no need for developing another application? Is there such an arrangement to get two of these things with RESTful APIs to talk to each other without having to have an intermediary?

An example: A document system that contains purchase orders and invoices relating to hardware records in IT's PC auditing tool so that relevant data such as purchase dates and so on can be linked to serial numbers for PCs, and viewable by a user in at least one of the platforms.

12. cvidler

cvidler Member

a rest API doesn't initiate anything, so they won't talk to each other. you'll need an intermediary, unless there's some other fuction in one app or the other to initiate tasks.

NSanity likes this.
  13. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

This was the answer I was expecting. Thanks.

14. ae00711

ae00711 Member

an ESXi pros here?

I've just started out, albeit, home purposes.

I have an 120GB SSD, 100GB of which is made into a datastore.
    I created a vm ('VM1') that I specified to use 45GB of this 100GB datastore.
    When I go to create a second vm ('VM2'), also to use 45GB of that same datastore, it doesn't do it?

Can I only store one VM per datastore? :/

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

no.

It just works.

Are you using thin disks?

16. ae00711

ae00711 Member

nope.
    nvm, figured it out.. I jumped the gun, wasn't anything do to with storage - I wasn't paying attention to the little pop-up notifications at the top; there was a network config error, thus couldn't finish making a new VM.

anyway, new problem... PCI pass thru doesn't appear to work :/

17. Luke212

Luke212 Member

the two platforms dont know about each other so cant communicate. thats why generally you have a third dashboard application that knows about both platforms and can combine the information from both.

if you have advanced customisability or, if you have programmatic control of one or the other app, you can program it to push or pull data from the other.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  18. olie

olie Member

[QUOTE="ae00711, post: 18138410, member: 131081]

anyway, new problem... PCI pass thru doesn't appear to work :/[/QUOTE]

The host usually requires a reboot after adding this configuration change.

edit:
    What are you trying to pass-through? Devices like the HP B140i "Raid Controller" will not pass through.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  19. NSanity

NSanity Member

Passthrough really isn't worth it for the vast majority of applications you might think it might be. Usually its just straight up you don't require the throughput you think you do, and by virtualising that function, you gain a lot more than you lose.

Stuff like SRV-IO, pMEM, NVMe and GPU's are an exception - but only because you're literally wailing on PCIE bus limits in the first place with enterprise versions of those things.

olie likes this.
  20. ae00711

ae00711 Member

Two VMs I'm passing gear thru to, one had a boot issue. The VM is Linux Mint Cinnamon (LMC), the HBA is a..crap..can't remember which card was making it temp hang.. either the Mellanox connectx2 10GbE NIC, or the (ancient) Areca 1210..

Anyway, yeah, LMC was going thru its boot process and would hang (or so I thought), and had an error message amongst all that CLi text stuff that runs down the screen during boot. The first time it happened, I powered down the VM. The second time, I turned away, did some other crap on my main rig, then when I came back to it, it was sitting there at the logon screen. So I logged on, opened up hardinfo, both devices listed.
    Stuff knows whats going on or if it works correctly.
    I'm in the long process of reducing the amount of windows crap I use. Setting this server up with ESXi + LMC & FreeNAS are some of the first steps. It may be working, but won't be able to confirm for some time (months - busy with uni, again), not until I have bought a DAC cable to confirm Mellanox, and not until I've backed up the HDDs, so that I can plug them into the Areca.

I'm in no rush (luckily).

edit: the other VM I'm passing kit thru to is FreeNAS; passing thru M1015 (flashed to IT), and Chelsio 320 10GbE NIC