The Consolidated B&EC "Quick Question" Thread.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by looktall, Jun 6, 2015.

1. samus

samus Member

Morning OCAU!

I have a interesting question, as part of my Win 10 migration testing.

I have a Lenovo Miix, with a 2880*1920 screen. Naturally this is a DPI scaling issue.

We are stuck on Office 2013 for the moment, so the <biz essential> add ins dont draw correctly when scaling is turned on, and you kinda need it at 200% if you actually want to use it. Now office 2013 is not Screen Scaling Aware, only System, so attaching a second monitor does not solve the issue, even if you change that monitors scaling to 100%.

My question is, can I use a .manifest to disable screen scaling just for Word? I did try it and it doesn't seem to work, and neither did the compatibility troubleshooter. I also tried adding a reg key in HKCU\....\WinNT\layers\Winword.exe = ~HighDPISCALING and that also didn't work.

Anyway, any info is appreciated. I understand Office 2016 has the option to turn off screen scaling, but thats not an option for me as yet.

M.

2. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

It's not as simple as the fact that it is
    Code:
    ~ HIGHDPIAWARE

rather than
    Code:
    ~HighDPISCALING
    as you have in your post above?

3. samus

samus Member

No. I made a typo above, i had the reg key correct:

~ HIGHDPIAWARE

4. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Have you tried the "let windows fix blurry apps" setting? YMMV but it may work...

5. samus

samus Member

Hi, no I did try that as well. Reading around the internet I think I'm up the creek. It seems Office and other Microsoft apps don't behave the same way as other executables in Windows 10, so I think I'm boned.

Oh well thanks for trying.

M.

6. Gunna

Gunna Member

Users have offline files enabled and their documents redirected to their home drive as set in Active Directory. User creates an excel document and saves it to their documents folder, the file name is correct on the users device but on the server share it's named as XXXXXX.tmp where X is random numbers. If the user closes the document now the server file remains as the .TMP file. If the user makes additional changes and clicks save a 2nd file with the correct file name and excel extension appears on the server share while the original .tmp file remains as well. This only occurs while offline files are enabled, turning off offline files resolves the issue but is not feasible for mobile users.

If I perform a manual sync using Sync Centre or log off\log on sync centre reports that all files are in sync, even if there is just a .tmp file not the correct file + the .tmp file

If there is the correct file + a .tmp file on the server the user only sees the .XLSX file locally. Users can open the file and make edits and save and the correct file is updated no additional .tmp file is created. If a user saves in Excel and closes it there is only a .tmp file on server. If they reopen the file they see on their local device and then save again a new .tmp file is created on the server while their correct file is updated.

If a user saves then closes only the .tmp resides on the server while locally the correct file exists, if I delete the .tmp file then sync centre advises there is a conflict after some time. During this time, performing a manual sync nothing is reported and only the user has a copy of the file. After a period of time sync centre advises a file on the server was deleted, what do you want to do with the local copy. The options are to keep the local copy and save it to the server or delete the local copy as well.

This happens in both Windows 7 and Windows 10 and only occurs with Excel and with offline files enabled, word creates then renames the tmp file successfully. If redirected folders only then the file renames for Excel as well.

Most endpoints are running Windows 10 1809 and the server is 2012r2 with the Feb 2019 cumulative installed. The issue is the same across Win 7 and Win 10.

It is odd as I can watch a TMP word file get created on the server and then it renames to XXXX.docx where an excel file will be something like ~book1.xlsx then rename to XXXXX.TMP while the client see's book1.xlsx in their documents folder. Disabling TMP from indexing did not resolve the issue nor did removing Anti-virus from end point and server. Technet forums have advised to contact Microsoft for support.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  7. Shags

Shags Member

In the end, got 6PB for just over 600k. going with a vendors software solution on top of their hardware would have cost 10x that with absolutely no benefit, this particular vendor anyway.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Whats the solution look like?

Tier 1 Vendor MSY will sell you 600 10TB WD Purples for ~ $250K :)

9. NSanity

NSanity Member

As a vendor.

No. No it wouldn't have.

Daemon, 2SHY and olie like this.
  10. Shags

Shags Member

The vendor charged ~$1k/TB licensing on top of their hardware. This particular vendor was quoting that much.

11. Shags

Shags Member

5x R740XD W/ME4084 Enclosure, Server 2019, REFS, I'm not Luke212 :(

12. NSanity

NSanity Member

As a vendor, I thank you for your purchase.

Shags likes this.
  13. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

I assume the answer to this is "You're an idiot, it won't work, and even if it did, you're an idiot"

Assuming all things equal:
    a Raid 1+0 array has 8x500GB drives, giving 2TB total space

I know one could swap out, individually, those 500GB drives with 1TB drives. Let it rebuild each time.
    Then expand the array into the empty space, giving 4TB total

But I assume one could not swap out the first 4x drives with 2TB drives
    then pull out the second 4x500GB drives, then expand the array
    still giving 4TB total

cause it will just lose it's shit if you pull those second set of disks out

14. Gunna

Gunna Member

if you pull the wrong 4 out though you run the risk of destroying your raid but in theory it would work, I just wouldn't risk it personally.

edit. I just re-read what you are trying to do.

The raid doesn't care about the total size it cares about the raid members so you are trying to reduce your disk count from 8 to 4 but the raid software would still be looking for those other 4 disks.

NSanity likes this.
  15. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

thought as much :)

16. person

person Member

Yeah it's something that if you had a lab environment to test with and this is something you do often then it could be worth testing... but if it's production it's too risky, who knows if different controllers act differently etc (assuming hardware controllers) ... - i'd just do one drive at a time... and maybe change the raid rebuild rate to maximum to speed things up :)

17. Pepito

Pepito Member

How hard is it to change Telstra "Account Executives" ?

One of my Melbourne clients with about 50 mobile & landline services plus an Internet Direct service (100/50 fibre) and they get lousy service from their "Account Executive".

If there's a lot of paperwork involved they may not do it but if it can be done with just a few phone calls and letters then they'd like to.

And if anybody can recommend one to change to even better :)

18. Gunna

Gunna Member

You cannot - I had to move all our mobile voice and mobile data services(72 services) to Optus as our AE was a ghost for over 3 months.

Our fixed services still remain however.

I even lodged a formal complaint which went no where.

Pepito likes this.
  19. wazza

wazza Member

Gotta be almost time for their phone survey to determine bonuses doesn't it? If they're that bad that your customer wants to change, make sure they're honest on the survey rather than giving full marks. I was brutally honest with my review of my last account exec (the person taking the survey seemed quite taken aback by this, so it's obviously not common) and not long after I got notified that they were no longer with big T and a new AE would be assigned, not 100% sure if the survey had much to do with this, but it definitely wouldn't have helped.

GiantDouche_vs_TurdSandwich.jpg

Pepito likes this.
  20. Pepito

Pepito Member

Bugger :mad:

==