The Consolidated B&EC "Quick Question" Thread.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by looktall, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

Yeah it sucks, went from an awesome AE who knew his shit to a ghost. 12 unanswered emails, 9 attempts to call and even a call to my old AE couldn't get a response. So I churned, only way they know they messed up is to lose revenue it seems.

2. ex4n

ex4n Member

How do you guys decide what kind of enterprise-grade switches to buy? I'm a bit new to this kind of stuff, and they are not cheap, so I'm not sure how to decide which ones to get. I'm looking at getting 8-10 switches for a new project, I need 36-48 port 10 GE switches, preferably at least 36 ports 10 GE Base-T and maybe 12 SFP+ ports, and probably some QSFP+ uplink ports.

3. Gunna

Gunna Member

We use Cisco as core gear and HP Arubas for edge.

Also need to balance 'want' and 'need'

Do you need all 48 ports to be 10 GE or is it a 'want' ?

4. ex4n

ex4n Member

Right now I'm using a mix of Mikrotik CloudCores and Huawei CE swithes, 10 GE is a need, everything that plugs into it is 10 GE - I could probably get away with fewer ports though, 24 might be enough, but some of my servers are being replaced with 4 node 2U servers which have minimum 8 NICs in 2U so I want to future proof things a bit. I don't want to be in the position of having switches with no ports left.

5. Pepito

Pepito Member

Does anybody know of Windows recovery (unerase) software that can be used on a Mac formatted USB stick?

I need to recover a single document from a Mac USB stick but I've gotten rid of all my Mac computers (only have an iPad now)

TIA :)

6. bcann

bcann Member

has the usb stick actually been wiped, or you just can't read it cause it mac formatted? If its because its mac formatted there are plenty of emulators for mac formatted stuff around that will mount it and let you read from it.

7. Pepito

Pepito Member

USB stick has been wiped/formatted.

==

8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

9. Pepito

Pepito Member

10. g@z

g@z Member

Cisco call manager 10.5.1 - where do I find a list of the feature codes? ie call forward all, do not disturb etc etc. I'm sure I've seen it but now I can't find it again... thanks.

Regards,
    g@z.

11. OP
    OP
    looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

not entirely sure.

maybe something in system-->enterprise parameters?

EDIT:
    What are you trying to accomplish?

12. g@z

g@z Member

What do users dial to turn on call forward immediate to voicemail, and then to turn it off again.

Regards,
    g@z.

13. OP
    OP
    looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Hmm. Pretty sure our users just push a button on the phone.
    We also have jabber which has the control in there too.

14. bcann

bcann Member

what are peoples thoughts on the quality of 4cabling 9ru wall mount rack, cat 6a cabling (305M role) and cat6a keystones? I'm looking at pre-buying this so when i get a data cabler for my new build house they are there to just pull and terminate the cable?

15. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Can't speak for their racks, but their cable and jacks are top notch.

16. wazza

wazza Member

Haven't seen them personally, but have bought a few of their 22ru half height racks for our other offices and none of my guys have complained about the quality of the racks. Also regularly use them for pre-terminated cable and no issues with that either, but when it comes to data cablers I get them to supply full end to end so they can't blame something I've supplied for any cables that don't test ok.

17. bcann

bcann Member

Fair enough, but this is being done by a mate for a beer economy price.

18. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

If you're on a beer budget for this, I'd suggest having a look at these guys too:

http://www.dataworld.com.au/9ru-450mm-deep-wall-cabinet/

I wired up my brothers house recently and they were significantly cheaper for a 4RU cabinet, jacks and wall plates etc. I still got the cable from 4Cabling because I've been using their cable for a long time and trust it.

19. bcann

bcann Member

I've got a cisco POE switch, the wall mounted rack needs to be at least 450mm deep from the inside to accommodate the switch. thats why i am going the 600mm one from 4cabling. but thanks for the suggestion.

20. scrantic

scrantic Member

I've used their 9RU & 12RU wall mount swing and just bought an half height rack from them. Been happy.