The Consolidated B&EC "Quick Question" Thread.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by looktall, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Wynne

Wynne Member

Have been struggling with this at my latest gig, normally we do Hybrid but this was a spin off.

6000 Seats without Hybrid is turning out to be an absolute administrative pain for groups, addresses, aliases, dynamic groups, etc.

I don't believe there is a document anywhere that will give you absolute pros and cons though.

Be aware that a lot of the benefits with Hybrid are that objects are 'mastered' on premises which stamps them with an identifier in 365 so they can be administered from the on premises exchange. Introducing Hybrid later on/now will not necessarily allow you to administer any existing 365 based objects, only new ones.

If i find a good grief counsellor i'll let you know.

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

Wat.

why the fuck.

At least its only 50 users...

God fucking dammit.

3. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Why even bother having on-prem stuff for 50 people...

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

Because their experience sucks. They've told us it sucks.

We didn't build it. 12 months ago they asked us to facilitate pushing them to 100% cloud - we said cloud didn't service them adequately, they found someone in Sydney to do it.

They sacked them in < 12 months because it sucked. We've done support for 2 months and we think it sucks too.

They have on-premise LOB assisting cloub LOB. They are an accounting firm and its worse than it ever was on prem - and more expensive. And having reviewed their gear 12 months prior - before they did any cloud stuff, their on-premise gear/experience was shit too.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  5. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

To those who are involved in the hiring process, how ruthless are you with the technical knowledge of applicants? Lets say you're looking for a web developer, and you ask them what DNS is, and they give you a blank look, do you tell them to GTFO or look past it and focus more on other factors, like willingness to learn and cultural fit?

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

If its for an artsy/marketing web design role, I look past it.

If its for nuts and bolts web development, where knowledge of the system is expected, the interview ends at that point.

7. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Yeah that's what I thought. I really shouldn't have to train them on that. Thanks.

8. Daemon

Daemon Member

I'd chuck out a designer slanted role if they didn't at least understand DNS. I wouldn't expect them to know how to manage it or the low level bits, but I'd absolutely expect an understanding.

I'd also expect them to understand how a database and web server fit into the picture, but not necessarily administer them.

My reasoning is if they're that stove-piped that they don't understand (or want to understand) all the other parts of the puzzle, they're not someone who learns or adapts to change.

9. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

ahh licensing, my furry furry friend (ok, so that's not relevant)

I understand that with 2012 R2 Standard, I'm entitled to run 1xHyperVisor and 2x guest OSE.

However, is that only 2012R2 or downgraded OSE? If it was a Win7 (not for VDI but it has LoB on it) OSE, would it still need it's own W7 licence?

I'm assuming so.. and it would have to be retail or volume, not OEM..

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

Desktop licensing is a strange place. But i legitimately wouldn't be surprised if you ended up needing a Windows Desktop Enterprise CAL. Follow the VDi licensing model imo.

I presume you're talking a Win7 guest on 2012R2 HV?

11. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

ya, correct, thanks

just playin with ideas. no reason I couldn't move the LoB to a 2012R2 host

12. wazza

wazza Member

When you use downgrade rights the downgraded OS is covered under the same rules as the original OS - so using 2012R2 to downgrade to 2008R2 would allow you to run the 1xHypervisor and 2x Guest OSE (whereas if you just bought 08R2 it only covered 1x Guest from memory). I thought downgrades were like for like though so you couldn't downgrade from a server OS to a client OS.

13. Spiredore

Spiredore Member

If the HOST is running server 2012 then you can run 2 more virtual server 2012 machines as well. The license only covers Server 2012.

Anything else you might want to host on it be it win 7, linux etc will need it own license.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2012

14. AzonIc

AzonIc Member

My "quick question" is what are people doing for converting local server file stores / corporate network drives into a cloud (or even O365) solution.

Scenario - head office has file server, local users work directly. branch offices have no local server, work remotely through citrix. I'd like to ditch citrix, but don't want to roll out local servers.

We're also looking at moving to O365, but it doesn't seem that any of the file sharing apps on there really compare well to the corporate network drive approach. Maybe I've missed it though?

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

I played around with Owncloud, Pydio and Seafile.

I think they are all flawed in one way or another.

OD4B blows monkey goats.
    Citrix Sharefile is supposed to be tight - but $$$$.

16. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Has anyone pushed ablock extensions for their browsers they support? Why or why not? I personally have pre-installed ublock for Chrome into my SOE and the number of calls I get for infections/malware crap getting installed on PCs has dropped significantly, but on the other hand I do now get the odd call where ublock is breaking some websites (usually shitty websites where advertising is for some reason integrated into its core functionality).

Overall the trade-off seems worth it for me but wondering what others are doing.

17. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Why not push AdBlockPlus+NoScript?

18. NSanity

NSanity Member

I whitelist ABP/UBlock and blacklist everything else.

19. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Ublock appears to give better performance, in both blocking capability and responsiveness. I haven't used AdblockPlus in a long time though.

20. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

I haven't used ABP in a business environment, but religiously use it at home, and it's perfect no issues what so ever? hell you don't even get janky iframes or any graphical issues.