1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Consolidated B&EC "Quick Question" Thread.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by looktall, Jun 6, 2015.

1. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Am I stupid for even considering running an Azure Workload designed to support DirectAccess (using IP-HTTPS because Teredo doesn't work apparently) for a roaming fleet of Surface Pros, coupled with some kind of VPN for iPads as well..?? (configured/deployed via MDM?)

end-users need to, primarily, access file data...

seems like a better idea than dropbox or odfb and related friends, which would need to constantly sync data to the devices.. (chewing up space!)

if I am stupid, why ? :)

2. ex4n

ex4n Member

Anyone here been having issues with java updater crashing from about 8u66 onwards? Can uninstall but can't reinstall, installer just does nothing when it is run. Updater crashes every time, even when run from java in control panel. Happening on a few server 2008r2 boxes and I have done a bit of googling, can find loads of people having the same problem on win7/server 008 but nobody has a fix. More curious if anyone else has experienced the problem, than hoping someone can give me any answers. Cheers

Faulting application name: jucheck.exe, version: 2.8.71.15, time stamp: 0x567a0e31
    Faulting module name: jucheck.exe, version: 2.8.71.15, time stamp: 0x567a0e31
    Exception code: 0x40000015
    Fault offset: 0x000532b7
    Faulting process id: 0x15c4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d16d6fbc4190df
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jucheck.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jucheck.exe
    Report Id: fa4b186f-d962-11e5-bbfa-525400be0a48

Edit: Well it appears it's an issue which has affected all of our domain admin tech logins, but a freshly promoted local admin was able to install. Update checker no longer crashes.
    So that's a workaround. I suspect it's junk in the profile causing the updater to crash.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  3. Great_Guru

Great_Guru Member

Might be worth going through the motions with procmon sitting along side it and finding what is crashing it. Quite likely existing java feaces.

4. Gunna

Gunna Member

Pulling my hair out with this:

I have redirected folder for desktop, favorites, documents etc. I am at our South Korean office. For some reason the mapped network share in Australia is reporting offline. I browse to \\server\share and it's blank with offline status: Offline.

Disconnect mapped drive, restart and GPO not applying to remap it. Net use is blank. Browse to \\server\share and its blank. Turn off offline files and it works but now desktop and documents gone(as expected), restart, turn offline files back on and redirected folders work but mapped drive offline.

edit: Ok, had to clear the CSC cache by adding a reg DWORD entry called FormatDatabase with a value of 1 at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Csc\Parameters

p.i.a

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  5. NSanity

NSanity Member

Offline files is convenient - but sucks balls at scale.

Can someone with a fkn brain please do File syncing please?

How hard can it be. I want On-prem guys to use live. I want off-prem guys to use cloud. I want Cloud to sync to On-Prem. And i want conflicts to store all and have admins sort it out in the end.

6. millsy

millsy Member

Mac management, aside from the mac mini server is there anything that'll let you push out configs to clients or are you out of luck?

I told someone today it couldn't be managed anywhere near as nicely as Linux/Windows but just want to make sure I'm not flat out wrong :p

7. pantner

pantner Member

We use Casper (by JamF) for out Mac stuff. Does mobile devices and workstations.

8. Camm

Camm Member

I'm running this setup, is working mostly fine. Some of our users working on shit connections can sometimes run into issues Also have OneDrive Business setup to service stuff that needs to move between networks. But I'm a pretty small network here, so your experience may vary.

9. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

thanks, appreciate your feedback!
    now to build/test stage :)

10. Camm

Camm Member

Alternative to Bomgar? Need something that is self hosted, but qualified to run on Azure or Hyper-V (Bomgar is only qual'd on VMWare for some strange reason).

Almost everything I find only comes in 'use our servers' flavour :/

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

Screenconnect.

12. Camm

Camm Member

Thank you 10char

13. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

How much have connectwise fucked it? I'm scared to even look at updating our existing setup

14. NSanity

NSanity Member

charged substantially more is all i've heard.

Basically everyone is getting to Bomgar money. And well if you're at Bomgar money, you better be as good as Bomgar.

15. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Thats not to bad then, as long as they haven't "integrated" it and need a bunch-o-other-crap to be installed along with it.

16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Mcafee Intel Security EPO Cloud. Anyone using it for AV/Endpoint Management?

Pros/Cons

They seem to have a big push on for it at the moment.

17. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Sorry not a response to this, but we had Palo Alto salesmen over to push their AV/Anti-Malware stuff to us and it seemed real interesting.

Very low resource usage (apparently never gone over 50mb of memory, and .1% cpu usage), denies attack vectors from the get go and has like a cloud database with hashes or some nonsense which seemed to work really well.

Only company I have ever seen that showed us live working attacks, on an unprotected system, and a protected system in a VM environment.

What was really cool was the fact that it halts operations of the malware if it doesn't know it, and pings your local server. if it doesn't recognise the has then it send it off to their cloud solution. If they don't initially know what it is, it asks for the file to be sent, and then sandboxes it in their environment and tests the malware locally, and gives you an answer of allowed/denied.

Apparently this happens instantly if it knows the hash, or within 5-10 mins if it's unsure (pending size of the file).

Palo Alto Wildfire i think it's called?

18. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Mcafee have their "GTI" system for "Global Threat Intelligence" it basically does an Nslookup on <filehash>.gti.mcafee.com and then takes action based on the result, which is very handy if you don't have the most up to date signatures.

The threat emulation/sandboxing is something that is being offered by most players now (even MS with ATP for their mail filtering). But its already one or two steps behind (Malware checks for sandbox, and doesn't do bad things in them)

19. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Wildfire is their cloud threat management solution which is amazing. TRAPS (the anti malware solution) is mondo expensive but also really awesome.

I have a PA-3020 with Wildfire and it's killing cryptolocker, various phishing attack vectors at the firewall automatically. Love it.

20. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

We have multiple PA-500's, and a 3020 at our DC, and yeah, that along with mimecast have netted us no infections of cryptolocker thankfully, and yeah traps is the one! Thanks for that! :)