1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Consolidated B&EC "Quick Question" Thread.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by looktall, Jun 6, 2015.

1. NSanity

NSanity Member

I hate you.

Like I mean, if i ever end up in Regional SA, i'll totally have a beer with you and it will be a great time.

But right now i hate you. Because I know you're right.

*ugh*

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Surely working for an MSP, means Metadata Cleanup = Billable Hours = $$$?

3. Gunna

Gunna Member

Unless they are on a fixed service agreement and this falls under that agreement

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

you still think i WANT to do it...

its fucking godawful.

Nah, we're onboarding after an IT Guy peaced out (Business claimed he didn't do anything refusing his demands to keep his trainee. Well he actually did a fuckload - and for the most part its a pretty tight ship tbh). They have 23 servers. A subnet for everything and everything for a subnet.

If the place wasn't in the tip top shape it actually is (just really old, unsupported hardware for the most part), you could just empty money here getting to the bottom of everything.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  5. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Probably something that should be out of scope for sure.

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

Onboarding - particularly in this case, is T&M.

we had 5 hours notice really.

7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

That is true, it's shit enough when a DC goes tits up in an environment you know well.

Doing it in an environment you've just walked into would be even worse.

8. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

Tee Hee. Very, very true :o

I was thinking of these

Best of luck with your metadata clean NSanity! I don't envy your position.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  9. ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

Hey all, So I've been asked to find a way to have multiple mobile numbers, callable from an individuals contact card on a mobile.

I suggested using contacts in outlook and then syncing this to the mobiles, however, the need to manually readd the contact each time a change is made in AD, makes this unusable.

Adding the numbers to notes is also out, as the number needs to be callable and automatically updated.

We have users that can have up to four different mobile number (different sim for each country).

Does anyone have an application or method that works for Android, Apple and possible Microsoft at all?

So if a number is updated in AD, that change is pushed to all mobiles that have that contact. I'm even willing to look at third party systems.

10. KDog

KDog Member

Is there anyway to find out where the data/telco lines come from before they get to the MDF? Obviously a pit outside somewhere, but does a map or a number you can call to find out.

Reason I ask is we have leased another office about 100m from our current one. It would be great if I could use either the Transact or Telstra pits to run some Fibre as a direct connection. What are the odds they would let another cable into their pits (it appears at our MDF this is the case).

Looking at our current MDF there are three inlet conduits:
    1 contains transact, unidentified copper (optus??), old looking fibre, newer looking fibre. Not much spare space.
    2 conduits contain unknown copper (outside or IDF). No spare space
    3 unknown copper (newer telstra?) quite old with a telstra pull rope and plenty of space.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

You can try 'dial before you dig' just submit the area you want, and say you are going to dig a big hole :).

Zero, Zilch, Zip, Nada, None.

12. NSanity

NSanity Member

In closing if you get caught, prepare to have it disconnected instantly - and at the very worst a *massive* fine and probable legal action.

If you want to run Dark/Private Fibre, you need to discuss with a vendor that is certified to do so, and they will arrange access and lease of the pits - be VERY prepared for either difficulty or an outright "no".

13. OP
    OP
    looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

can you not add the extra mobile numbers to the user's AD account?
    telephones-->mobile-->other

you can add extra numbers in there, however i don't think you can specify a name for the extra numbers so they would only be identifiable by the country code in the number itself.

14. ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

They won't appear on the mobile contacts, I've been testing with using home 2 and pager which does appear, however they do not want that as they have to manually update the contact by removing and readding them to outlook contacts each time a number changes.

15. tobes

tobes Member

What about using Outlook on the Mobile? Pretty sure it would sync contacts with AD.

16. Gunna

Gunna Member

We use Telephone number with the full number with country code in the General Tab in AD and also the 'Mobile' Field on the Telephones tab for our internal IP Phone system.

Both numbers get updated in the GAL on our exchange server. Does this not occur with you?

17. ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

It does work with us, but for that number to then be in the contacts on the mobile the user must add that person to their contacts on outlook which will sync to their phone, if they have that setup. Now if person A numbers are changed, then person B will need to resync their contacts again to get the update. Also outlook will not read multiple mobile numbers for the same person, even if you use the other mobile field. It will however read, home phone 2 and Pager.

18. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

You can sync the GAL direct with the device. We do this for our staff and nobody has noticed any drama when phone numbers have changed.

19. Gunna

Gunna Member

Same here, however you must have an active sync account set up on the phone for it to work though. Not sure why he is trying to sync via outlook. When a number changes in AD and when the next maintenance period for exchange runs, by default over night, the change is reflected in the contact on the device.

It does depend how the contact is added though. On my Android I go to Contacts > Search and type the name. It then automatically searches the GAL and I can add it that way. Any changes are then reflected on the contact in my phone if a change is made in AD.

If I manually add the contact then it will not change I believe.

20. ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

Outlook was just a test one way, that failed. Tried a few other options and they only display a single mobile number. Or won't work on both Android and Apple.