1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The Consolidated B&EC "Quick Question" Thread.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by looktall, Jun 6, 2015.

1. mr626

mr626 Member

2. mr626

mr626 Member

I might be missing something, but I don't think PerfMon is part of server core?

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

Any backup software that is vss aware and runs past the database folders will have a valid backup of your AD. Other applications might call it a "system state" backup.

Keep in mind that actually using it is a lot harder than simply putting the files back if you have more than one DC

4. jajjj

jajjj Member

It's been a while..

New job back in technical I.T land and we have some weird processes going on that I am still getting my head around.

We have a mobile number that supports our after hours on-call carers and they call it for 24/7 support if they can not make it to a client. They want a way to still receive calls when the Telstra mobile network is down, the idea is that the calls route via Optus or Vodaphone...

Has anyone heard of such a solution, I would have thought this is something done more off of a pabx?

5. Foliage

Foliage Member

What are you using currently? I set this up for a SCADA system with 3 layers of redundancy.

Initially it would use a simple USB 4g dongle with a Telstra SIM to do an automated call. If that failed it would use another dongle with an optus sim and finally it would use their microwave link and send an email/sms via a web service if both dongles were down.

I used a phone dialling package (called SCADA Phone) and monitored the logs, if it detected a failure it would automatically adjust the "modem" it used to call. This wasn't out of the box functionality however it wasn't difficult to do. It also has provisions for people to call the system and it will automatically read out the status of alarms etc.

Are you looking for a complete out the box system or something you can program/customise yourself?

SCADA phone would actually be pretty good even for a non SCADA system as it has on an call roster system (with print out), multiple triggers, multiple dialing methods and can use email, sms, oldschool voice modem, voip etc all out of the box. About $700 including the auto dialer etc, then all you need to do is maintain two business SIM accounts which is less than $10 a month.

If you have constant guaranteed internet access you could just pay for a web service that does all of this for you. The above solution is a bit clunky but great if you need a cheap solution with multiple routes.

6. jajjj

jajjj Member

That sounds pretty awesome. Right now, its just one mobile phone which they manual forward each day at the end of day so its pretty manual. I would like to something easier to the business them selves to manage.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  7. Foliage

Foliage Member

https://www.win911.com/

This one is also half decent if you have a bunch of triggers that come in via a variety of data sources.

8. Luke212

Luke212 Member

i want to start up several fresh ubuntu servers and run a batch file on each to install needed software like java, screen, traceroute, and some custom software. what is the easiest way to automate this if i have a list of ips and public-key?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  9. Foliage

Foliage Member

Lol batch file on Ubuntu. Luke have you ever actually used Linux before?

10. Luke212

Luke212 Member

i am primarily windoze commercially. i am trying to use linux for some new work.

i dont want to manually open scp, copy a batch file, open ssh, run batch file. i want to automate that as well.

if i have to do it 50 times i might as well automate right? i was hoping the platform i am on (no choice in that matter), allowed cloning images because that would be simpler. but they dont. so each time i spin up a server i have to start from scratch.

11. millsy

millsy Member

Couldn't you just write a quick bash script to do this?

Alternatively you could make your own unattended CD to accomplish the same

12. Daemon

Daemon Member

Hire a consultant. If you have to ask, you probably need help to do it. Otherwise, spend the new weeks / months learning about configuration management.

13. Luke212

Luke212 Member

sure. i guess im asking:

what windows ssh client allows me to connect via cli and accepts parameters for Server IP, Public Key Path, Script Path?

that might save me googling 50 different clients. 'putty' i havent found a way to do it. edit: actually i think putty can do it... lol. will try again this arvo.

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

You're asking the wrong question.

You want configuration management.

But because you are Luke212, you will end up using something retarded, so google mssh or Multi-ssh to find something that will let you do it the wrong way.

15. Luke212

Luke212 Member

anyway i found out I can add "User Data" to the creation of the instance, so i can run all my scripts from that.

also, my hacking thread disappeared lol.

16. Foliage

Foliage Member

Why couldn't you just write script (no, not a bloody batch file, a proper script) to load up an SSH connection and pass bash cmds to it?

This has to be the most basic task ever. How have you never had to do this before?

Hell even if you are a complete newb you could just write a keyboard macro Rofl

17. kjparker

kjparker Member

ok, so I am obviously missing something fundamental here, but here goes:

I am trying to deploy a RemoteApp via terminal services via GPO and I am having a irritating issue with it.

I have the gpo set to deploy and trust the required certificate, and also to set the defaul url for the remoteapp client. I have verified the policy is applied, and all the correct settings are there.

The issue I am having is that the remoteapp client is not "configuring automaticaly" / using the url I have specified automaticaly, and I suspect it is due to authentication, however I cant find where I have gone wrong.

If I manually add the connection through remotapp client, it accepts the url, asks me to authenticate, and adds the app onto the machine. If I then remove this manual connection, and do a gpupdate /force, the correct connection is then added onto the computer.

I know I have missed something, but for the life of me I cant figure out what!

Ideas?

18. Luke212

Luke212 Member

im not sure what you mean. what windows ssh client would you use to do this? i think its unnecessary these days though.

annoying:

Code:
    // launch 10 servers 

for(int i = 0;i<10;i++)
      serverIds.Add(providerApi.LaunchInstance(UBUNTU,LARGE));

// wait arbitrary amount of time
    waitUntilServersAreResponsive();

foreach(int serverId in serverIds)
      connectViaSSHAndRunScript(serverId, userScript)
    easier:

Code:
    for(int i = 0;i<10;i++)
      serverIds.Add(providerApi.LaunchInstance(UBUNTU,LARGE, userScript));

yes its not rocket science. i hardly ever use linux though so it takes time to work these 'simple' things out.

19. Foliage

Foliage Member

If there really is nothing off the shelf to do what you want then I would just download some random SSH library off github and write a small program to do it for me, eg the code you just showed. Does it work?

20. Luke212

Luke212 Member

yes it all works thanks